Early Impressions: Marcus Pettersson

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Perhaps pettersson knew he was trouble and passed it to the pen on the wall thinking the play would be dead for offsides. Then the call was blown. If the linesman would have made the correct call nobody is talking about Pettersson's bad game.

But I'm not making excuses for him. There's enough fanboy excuse making here. Wasn't his best game for sure.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Also the kid needs to stop fighting before the gets his face caved in from some knuckle dragger from Saskatoon.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Actually...now that I'm rewatching this goal, Carter got his stick on it and not off Geno. The ref was right there on the wall and had a clear view. I don't know what Geno was doing though. He didn't exactly help just standing there with his stick a waist height and was more worried about getting hit then making sure Carter didn't get free with the puck. He didn't disrupt anything or try for the puck or lifting Carters stick.

Pettersson did his part, and all he had left was taking a penalty.
It wasn't Genos best game either but Pettersson should have backed off a bit sooner. And then Kovalchuk made him look silly later on. There were several instances though where his positioning was curious at best, but generally speaking he's pretty good in that regard.. It's one game though, he's had a couple ok games but the vast majority he's been pretty impressive. The only thing about his game that needs improvement IMO is his puck management.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It wasn't Genos best game either but Pettersson should have backed off a bit sooner. And then Kovalchuk made him look silly later on. There were several instances though where his positioning was curious at best, but generally speaking he's pretty good in that regard.. It's one game though, he's had a couple ok games but the vast majority he's been pretty impressive. The only thing about his game that needs improvement IMO is his puck management.

I stand corrected, from the postgame, it wasn't Geno.

Overall, his game wasn't perfect, but it isn't as bad ass being portrayed either.

Puck management is probably one of his strongest suits. A mishap here and there isn't a deciding factor. Puck management is when he has control of the puck on his stick. Not worried about that at all.

Reactions: vodeni

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Perhaps pettersson knew he was trouble and passed it to the pen on the wall thinking the play would be dead for offsides. Then the call was blown. If the linesman would have made the correct call nobody is talking about Pettersson's bad game.

But I'm not making excuses for him. There's enough fanboy excuse making here. Wasn't his best game for sure.

He did make the right call because Carter got the puck, and Grant (who I mistaked for Geno) did not make a play on the puck or disrupt Carter from getting it.

Reactions: vodeni

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
He did make the right call because Carter got the puck, and Grant (who I mistaked for Geno) did not make a play on the puck or disrupt Carter from getting it.

I would need to see the play again. Jay telestrated the whole play saying it was a blown call. Not saying he's always right. It hit grant's skate before Carter touched it from what I remember.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I stand corrected, from the postgame, it wasn't Geno.

Overall, his game wasn't perfect, but it isn't as bad ass being portrayed either.

Puck management is probably one of his strongest suits. A mishap here and there isn't a deciding factor. Puck management is when he has control of the puck on his stick. Not worried about that at all.
A mishap here or there isn't a deciding factor? Since when? If you cough up the puck it very well could indeed be a determining factor between winning and losing.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would need to see the play again. Jay telestrated the whole play saying it was a blown call. Not saying he's always right. It hit grant's skate before Carter touched it from what I remember.

A lot of things black coming together doesn't help.

I went big and I did blow it up and it was off his skate. Stand corrected again.

All I can say is the linesman didn't see Pettersson had it offsides due to his stick being in the way, and when he briefly lifted it, it was on edge on the blueline causing him to not see it was offsides to start. Then the rest happens and he thinks it is all good. For Sure they would not have a goal if the Pens scored after that blown keep.

In retrospect, this all means nothing going the other way. There's no way for the linesman on the other side to see that, not challengeable, and this goal didn't cost them the game.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
A lot of things black coming together doesn't help.

I went big and I did blow it up and it was off his skate. Stand corrected again.

All I can say is the linesman didn't see Pettersson had it offsides due to his stick being in the way, and when he briefly lifted it, it was on edge on the blueline causing him to not see it was offsides to start. Then the rest happens and he thinks it is all good. For Sure they would not have a goal if the Pens scored after that blown keep.

In retrospect, this all means nothing going the other way. There's no way for the linesman on the other side to see that, not challengeable, and this goal didn't cost them the game.

Right my whole point was that perhaps Pettersson knew he was in trouble and tried to cut his losses with an offside. We didn't get the call.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
A mishap here or there isn't a deciding factor? Since when? If you cough up the puck it very well could indeed be a determining factor between winning and losing.

Are you talking bouncing puck or just a clear mishap off his stick?

Pettersson has been very good with the puck on his stick. Not to the point you are bringing up. Nothing I'm even remotely worried about where it will cost "games. "

He hasn't had a slew of bad games to even warrant this worry.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Are you talking bouncing puck or just a clear mishap off his stick?

Pettersson has been very good with the puck on his stick. Not to the point you are bringing up. Nothing I'm even remotely worried about where it will cost "games. "

He hasn't had a slew of bad games to even warrant this worry.
As I stated, that's the only area of his game that concerns me a bit. To be very clear It's NOT to an egregious level, but he is susceptible to throwing the puck up ice and it getting picked off (particularly in our end and along the boards). Overall he's been good. I just would like him to shore that up.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
As I stated, that's the only area of his game that concerns me a bit. To be very clear It's NOT to an egregious level, but he is susceptible to throwing the puck up ice and it getting picked off (particularly in our end and along the boards). Overall he's been good. I just would like him to shore that up.
i'm shocked and sadden a kid has a bad game! no! I can't belive it. the world is coming to an end.:confused:

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Glad to see Petterssen has been excellent since the trade. He was drafted same year we got Montour. Carolina picks Haydn Fleury in the 1st round 2014 ouch.

Reactions: DegenX

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Glad to see Petterssen has been excellent since the trade. He was drafted same year we got Montour. Carolina picks Haydn Fleury in the 1st round 2014 ouch.
I've been pining for a Montour-Maatta swap for a long time.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
how is he defensively? Do u guys ever see him playing heavy penalty kill minutes?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
how is he defensively? Do u guys ever see him playing heavy penalty kill minutes?

He's been pretty solid, occasional brain fart and can get out muscled sometimes. Has laid a few great hits which has been a pleasant surprise. Can't see why he wouldn't take some PK minutes down the line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pettersson had a little bit of a rough stretch near the end of the Pettersson-Johnson pair, but since being taken from JJ, he has looked really good again. He looks like he has way more offensive upside than a lot of people thought about him at the time of the trade.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pettersson had a little bit of a rough stretch near the end of the Pettersson-Johnson pair, but since being taken from JJ, he has looked really good again. He looks like he has way more offensive upside than a lot of people thought about him at the time of the trade.

*blinks* Just noticed his pace is now on a par with Maatta's best efforts. That's pretty impressive.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I think he may have even more offensive upside then we're presuming right now, whether he reaches it or not will obviously remain to be seen, but he has shown some offensive instincts/awareness lately, and some decent hands to boot

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup I'm really excited about him moving forward. Great trade IMO.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->