Early Expansion Draft Protection Predictions

Would you go with 7-3-1 or 8-1 for protecting players in the expansion draft?

• Total voters

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
To me Johnson seems like an ultimate team player. I could see him go same way as Fleury did.
Fluery was sick of being dicked around, and wanted the starting job.

Johnson has spent his career (for the most part) struggling with this team.

I doubt he'll sign up to leave once things are looking promising. We may contend for the cup next year, who knows.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fluery was sick of being dicked around, and wanted the starting job.

Johnson has spent his career (for the most part) struggling with this team.

I doubt he'll sign up to leave once things are looking promising. We may contend for the cup next year, who knows.

Beauch didn't wanna waive either :dunno:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Beauch didn't wanna waive either :dunno:
Obviously I can't say for certain, and I'm just making an assumption.

Honestly since Makar is playing, and we are doing well, the XD has been the farthest thing from my mind.

Reactions: cgf

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
??? (Acquisition or Jost/Compher)

Makar
Barrie
Girard
Johnson

Goalie

Lose 1 of Zadorov/Jost/Compher if they’re even still here. Big deal, whoop-dee-do.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not sure why people are saying Johnson will waive his NMC. The Avs will likely be good, and he isn't going to want to leave. I'd be shocked if he did.

He’ll be 33, heading into his age 34 season, with two years remaining on his deal.

If the past is any indication, he’ll continue to have issues staying healthy. And his play has definitely dipped a bit this season, and could decline more over the next two seasons.

Truth be told, I don’t think he’d be a guy Seattle would be targeting if he were exposed, based on age alone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Barrie has way more value as a trade piece. Jost wont until he breaks out. And if he breaks out why trade him...

Barrie has way more value, but he's also way more important. So unless Chia sneaks back into the offices for a day & gives us Drai & Bear/Bouchard for Barrie & Kerfoot, I dunno who we'd get for Tyson that would help us more than having him, Makar or Girard on the ice at all times.

Jost, OTOH, I think we could get a guy like Zucker for straight up...someone who's currently about as good as a "broken out" Jost would be, especially when we account for their fit...from a team that's re-tooling. Or may even work well as the young player/prospect part of a package (alongside our 2020 1st) for someone like Zbad when Gorton decides to sell him before his NTC kicks in.

So you're not wrong that Barrie has way more value as a trade piece, but because he also holds way more value to us as a player, I suspect it'll prove to be easier to extract trade value out of Jost than Barrie for us. If we were a rebuilding team things would be different.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He’ll be 33, heading into his age 34 season, with two years remaining on his deal.

If the past is any indication, he’ll continue to have issues staying healthy. And his play has definitely dipped a bit this season, and could decline more over the next two seasons.

Truth be told, I don’t think he’d be a guy Seattle would be targeting if he were exposed, based on age alone.
Yep. That makes sense, the problem is that we have to protect him due to his contract. At 33, yah, I wouldn't mind if they took him lol

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
??? (Acquisition or Jost/Compher)

Makar
Barrie
Girard
Johnson

Goalie

Lose 1 of Zadorov/Jost/Compher if they’re even still here. Big deal, whoop-dee-do.

You say that as they currently are, but who knows how they'll be in 2 years time. So either you're even more right in whoop dee do, or the complete opposite. Personally I'm hoping a 33 year old EJ will be willing to l waive.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Yep. That makes sense, the problem is that we have to protect him due to his contract. At 33, yah, I wouldn't mind if they took him lol

They could ask him to waive his NMC, which would allow him to be exposed.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I think that could be the case made to EJ to convince him to waive. There are other players whom, if left unprotected, would be picked up. In order to keep the core together, the Avs need to expose some players who are less likely to get taken. Just tell EJ they don't think he's as likely to be taken because of his age. Tell him they hope he won't be picked.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Makar needing protected the Avs threw some caution to the wind. At this point it is pretty settled of who will be eligible. Just a matter of changes to the roster over the next couple seasons. Lots of hockey until that point.

Reactions: PAZ

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Perfect. He might be out of the line up in 2 years anyway

And his buyout would be only 2M a year, which would be manageable if that's what it comes to. That's (a small) part of why I do think EJ would waive if protecting him meant losing a core-piece rather than just a core-supporting-piece (Jimmothy / Jost / Zads / etc.).

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Ask EJ to waive his NTC

Sign Barrie to a one year contract extension

Offer Seatle a 3rd pick so that they don’t pick EJ

Does Timmins need protection ?

Mack
Rants
Landy
Jost
Compher
Kerfoot
UFA

Makar
Girard
Zadorov

Grubs

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
And his buyout would be only 2M a year, which would be manageable if that's what it comes to. That's (a small) part of why I do think EJ would waive if protecting him meant losing a core-piece rather than just a core-supporting-piece (Jimmothy / Jost / Zads / etc.).

I think he waives as well.

Not only will he earn more that being bought out, but the likelihood of being selected is slim given his contract has only 2 years remaining, age and injury history.

EJ loves the team and stood through many bad years and wants to be a part of the future. Waiving his NMC benefits him and the team.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Ask EJ to waive his NTC

Sign Barrie to a one year contract extension

Offer Seatle a 3rd pick so that they don’t pick EJ

Does Timmins need protection ?

Mack
Rants
Landy
Jost
Compher
Kerfoot
UFA

Makar
Girard
Zadorov

Grubs

Expose or trade Kerfoot for Kaut.

I believe Timmins can be exempted due to suffering a serious injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->