Early Expansion Draft Protection Predictions

Would you go with 7-3-1 or 8-1 for protecting players in the expansion draft?

• Total voters

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
I expect more dumb deals, why would Seattle accept any deal that wasn't a win for them? Either pick the best available player or make the team pay for wanting to make a deal.

Sure, Seattle would accept a deal but after Vegas ran away with multiple good deals that worked out better in their favor rather than the teams trying to protect favor, I think GMs will be a little more cautious. Learn from others failure.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Sure, Seattle would accept a deal but after Vegas ran away with multiple good deals that worked out better in their favor rather than the teams trying to protect favor, I think GMs will be a little more cautious. Learn from others failure.
Vegas also got incredibly lucky. No way they thought Tuch or Karlsson were going to become this good and Florida was just braindead.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Been a lot of talk with fans not wanting to make any moves because of the expansion draft. I would rather have three runs at the cup and lose a player than just wait around until after the expansion draft. If we are in such a good place that we lose a good player, then we'll still be in a good place after losing that player because we have 10 or 8 better players.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ugh. I had a huge response posted outlining the reasons why we need not worry about this right now and just let it happen when expansion comes, and then when I hit send I had to agree to the updated terms of service and lost the post.

So anyway the short version is, we have no idea who will be on this team in 2 years from now, no idea who will be or wont be worthy of being protected, and no idea of what direction Seattle will go in with expansion either.

We should not be making any decisions right now out of fear of expansion. We need to aim to be the best team we can be in the next 2 years and try and win a cup. And when expansion comes, accept that we are going to lose a talented player, and deal with the situation like other good teams will.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
You guys shouldn't assume that we won't sign an UFA with a NMC and that EJ will waive. We could also trade for someone like Huberdeau who has a NMC kicking in this July 1st.

So reserve at least one spot for an unknown forward and one for EJ like @Freudian did.

Doesn't the NMC cancels if traded prior to it starting like it did with Subban?

Another thing to think about is if the Avs and Landy would have a handshake deal to re sign after the expansion draft as he would be UFA and not need protection. Of course Landy might not want to take any chances of getting hurt or worrying about losing on some money, but you never know, for the greater good be might

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
If the Avs resign Barrie to a contract without a NMC, would it make sense to expose Barrie in the expansion draft? He would turn 30 just after that season so the Avs would get his best years while not having to over pay for his 30-35 seasons. It would give Seattle a high profile offensive D and a big name to sell to their fans.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s important to get our upper tier players protected so choose the option that allows that.

Jost/Compher/Zadorov are all pretty much in the exact same tier. Doesn’t matter which one we lose but we know it’ll be a good player. Nothing you can do about it.

Reactions: cgf

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
If the Avs resign Barrie to a contract without a NMC, would it make sense to expose Barrie in the expansion draft? He would turn 30 just after that season so the Avs would get his best years while not having to over pay for his 30-35 seasons. It would give Seattle a high profile offensive D and a big name to sell to their fans.

It's very difficult to come up with a worse idea.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

Tyson's no dummy. He wouldn't sign a long-term deal without protection just so he could go play for a nascent franchise right when the Avs' Stanley Cup window is likely set to open.

This scenario will never, ever happen.

As for my prediction...? I think it ends up being Calvert.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Protect Barrie, Makar, Girard; 9296, Jimmothy, FA x2, trade; a Goalie

I know you like JTC but I suspect Jost will become a very good player. I'm leaning draft Byram and trade Barrie for F help. Get younger with a potential offensive top pairing D-man as well as the cap relief. Then again, I haven't really seen any clips of the top5 outside of Hughes and Kakko.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know you like JTC but I suspect Jost will become a very good player. I'm leaning draft Byram and trade Barrie for F help. Get younger with a potential offensive top pairing D-man as well as the cap relief. Then again, I haven't really seen any clips of the top5 outside of Hughes and Kakko.

You assume Jost will still be an Av and not part of the bait that nets us the trade piece...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You assume Barrie will still be an Av and not part of the bait that nets us the trade piece...

giphy.gif

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
With the Makar situation i think Sakic will pick Byram,and trade Barrie.
And the list will be
Mack
Landy
Rant
Jtc
Jost
Trade from Barrie
FA/Kerfoot
Makar
Girard
Zadorov
Ask to Johnson to forgot his NMC
I have scary if Kerfoot continu To play like monday and stay on the 1st line

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I chose the 7+3+1 and dropped Barrie/EJ.

The reason for removing Barrie, involves his worth is less than a trade and expansion roster spot. EJ waives his NMC or bought out. Here is my observation:

Barrie

vs

2C or 3C
2020-1st (20-25 range)
B Level Prospect
Expansion Loss either: Jost/Compher/Kaut/UFA
Cap Savings - Approx $3M (difference 2C & $8M)

Here are my projected players:

Mack
Rants
Landy
Jost
Compher
Kaut
UFA/Barrie Trade

Makar
Girard
Zadorov

Grubs

This leads to the following reasons, Barrie is almost certainly moved.

Barrie enters final season will have similar and possibly more skilled players Makar/Girard on the ice. Makar added during the playoffs risks exposure. Timmins/Meloche as reinforcements 1-2 years away. 2019 Draft. If Byram (hoping) is the selection.

Barrie is likely gone before or early into the new season.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm not sure why people are saying Johnson will waive his NMC. The Avs will likely be good, and he isn't going to want to leave. I'd be shocked if he did.

Reactions: McMetal

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kaut doesn't have to be protected from what I understand @Patagonia

Maybe someone can clarify.

Kaut signed a professional contract that began this season. I believe under 20 years of age, if he played 9+ games AHL/NHL, protection is needed. Timmins might need to be as well, but AVs can apply a special exemption due to a long term injury.

Bowers contract was pushed to July 01st for this reason due to his age, he needs to be protected right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->