Early Expansion Draft Protection Predictions

Would you go with 7-3-1 or 8-1 for protecting players in the expansion draft?

• Total voters

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Since there's been so much chatter about Makar and the impending Expansion Draft I figured I'd make a thread for solely such a topic. I know we're like 2 years out and lot can happen until 2021 but I was wondering what people's predictions are about who we will end up protecting for the Seattle Expansion Draft. Rules are the exact same as the Vegas Expansion Draft.

Options for protecting are:

A. 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 goalie
or
B. 8 skaters regardless of position and 1 goalie

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

Here's who I think they will protect as of now:

F: Mack, Rantanen, Landy, Jost, Kaut, Kamenev, Bowers, D: Girard, Zadorov, Makar, G: Grubauer

Meaning, I think Barrie is gone and this is hoping EJ waives for us.

Obviously this list will change over the next two years but let's have some fun predicting. Go!

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
They need to go 4/4/1

Mack/Rants/Landy/????/Girard/Barrie/Maker/????/Grubauer

I have a feeling Jost/Bowers/Kaut ends up getting taken.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Mack
Rants
Landy
Jost?

Makar
Barrie
Girard
Zadorov

Grubauer

EJ waives

Bowers/Kaut don't need to be protected

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Grubauers contract expires when the expansion draft takes place.

I think Avs will protect

MacKinnon
Landeskog
Rantanen
<forward added through free agency or trade>

EJ
Barrie
Makar
Girard

<whoever will be starter 2021-22>

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You guys shouldn't assume that we won't sign an UFA with a NMC and that EJ will waive. We could also trade for someone like Huberdeau who has a NMC kicking in this July 1st.

So reserve at least one spot for an unknown forward and one for EJ like @Freudian did.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASmileyFace

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We pull a Minnesota and pay through the nose to protect some bottom six jobber, while the person they pick gets a 6x8 extension after their first season.

Reactions: avsfan3737

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
EJ might waive if he's such a poor player at that point that it's highly unlikely that he'll get picked.

But if Avs are a really good team and he still can play at a decent level, why would he waive to go to an expansion team from a contending team?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
You guys shouldn't assume that we won't sign an UFA with a NMC and that EJ will waive. We could also trade for someone like Hubeardeau who has a NMC kicking in this July 1st.

So reserve at least one spot for an unknown forward and one for EJ.
Honestly if EJ continues regressing as a player, which is the most likely scenario, I would buy him out if he refuses to waive. Its only a 2 million cap hit per season for the buyout.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Grubauers contract expires when the expansion draft takes place.

I think Avs will protect

MacKinnon
Landeskog
Rantanen
<forward added through free agency or trade>

EJ
Barrie
Makar
Girard

<whoever will be starter 2021-22>

I'm afraid we'll have to do that. Sucks that we can't protect 10 players instead of 8 but with the EJ/Makar situation we have no choice. Unless Barrie is no longer with the team.

That would expose both Zadorov and Compher but who knows what they'll look like 2 years from now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Honestly if EJ continues regressing as a player, which is the most likely scenario, I would buy him out if he refuses to waive. Its only a 2 million cap hit per season for the buyout.

If one of Zadorov/Timmins/Meloche is a #3-4 at that point, it might be the best option. If one or two of them are gone, perhaps buying out EJ (should he suck at that point) and keep 7F/3D to make sure we don't lose a Compher/Jost (who might be 45-50 point guys).

Two years is a long time in hockey but Sakic has to start making decisions with the expansion draft in mind.

Reactions: avsfan09

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
EJ might waive if he's such a poor player at that point that it's highly unlikely that he'll get picked.

But if Avs are a really good team and he still can play at a decent level, why would he waive to go to an expansion team from a contending team?

Because it might be a choice between that and getting bought out.

I don't like this thread because there are a lot of different possibilities, and people are going to go crazy arguing them to death years before we have any idea of the team's actual plans. There's stuff we can speculate on (Barrie's extension, Zadorov's standing with the team, Jost's progression, a FA signing, EJ's status, etc.) but those are a lot of questions that need to be answered before we can worry about expansion.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
About the side deals with Vegas. What's most remarkable about them are the players the other team insisted Vegas pick.

Columbus paid a 1st rounder to make sure Vegas picked Karlsson.

Florida paid Smith to make sure Vegas picked Marchessault.

Wild I guess is a bit different, since they had a bunch of players that were protected but giving up Tuch to make sure Vegas picked Haula isn't an amazing look.

Seattle can't count on teams making that many bad calls in trades.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
@Cousin Eddie mentioned this a few weeks back, but the Avs could have a verbal agreement in place with Barrie and NOT sign the deal until after the draft. He'd go into the expansion draft as a pending UFA and wouldn't need to be protected.

In that case, I think they'd go 7-3-1 and try to get EJ to waive his NMC.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
No reasons to be worried about the expansion draft. We are going to lose someone decent no matter what but its not going to be someone that important.

The only thing I want is Sakic to accept that Seattle is picking the best unprotected player and not make any deals with them, Vegas abused teams that wanted to deal.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
About the side deals with Vegas. What's most remarkable about them are the players the other team insisted Vegas pick.

Columbus paid a 1st rounder to make sure Vegas picked Karlsson.

Florida paid Smith to make sure Vegas picked Marchessault.

Wild I guess is a bit different, since they had a bunch of players that were protected but giving up Tuch to make sure Vegas picked Haula isn't an amazing look.

Seattle can't count on teams making that many bad calls in trades.

Pittsburgh sent a 2nd rounder to make sure Vegas will pick Fleury. I understand they needed the cap space but it was ridiculous.

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
No reasons to be worried about the expansion draft. We are going to lose someone decent no matter what but its not going to be someone that important.

The only thing I want is Sakic to accept that Seattle is picking the best unprotected player and not make any deals with them, Vegas abused teams that wanted to deal.

As Freudian said, I don't think people will be as stupid this time around about making deals with Seattle when it comes to selecting or not selecting a player.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
As Freudian said, I don't think people will be as stupid this time around about making deals with Seattle when it comes to selecting or not selecting a player.
I expect more dumb deals, why would Seattle accept any deal that wasn't a win for them? Either pick the best available player or make the team pay for wanting to make a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->