Expansion draft discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I don't see what's stopping sakic from trading a young player, ie Graves to Seattle in exchange for Seattle selecting Donskoi. 2 analytical dreamboats. Clears out 7M.
Otherwise I can see him trading Graves to the highest bidder next off-season. Forcing Seattle's hand.
I think 2/3 of Donskoi Compher Graves are not on the team this time next year. Otherwise it gets real tight.

You're a creative guy! You want to trade Graves within weeks after we win the cup. Just prior to the expansion draft? Is that possible?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
In an ideal world we protect 8 skaters

-Johnson waives but Seattle won't take him
-We leave Landeskog exposed but he has agreed to a verbal contract once free agency starts

Mack
Rantanen
Kadri
Burakovski
Makar
Girard
Toews
Graves

Exposed: Compher, Donskoi, Jost, Francouz
That's only ideal assuming that Seattle take one of Compher or Donskoi.

If they take Francouz we'd need to find a capable backup replacement and shed some capspace. If they take Jost then we'd need to find a taker for Compher/Donskoi/Graves for capspace.

Also, don't forget that Nichuskin would be exposed as well.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Interesting

The Habs are «going for it »... lol. No way they get rid of Price. They have built their team and whole marketing around him also. Doing an about-face like that would be an admission of failure. Bergevin has too much of an ego to do that.

With that said, I don’t mean to say that moving on from Price would not be the right thing to do if they really wanted to rebuild.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The only way I see that happening is if Byram explodes onto the scene.

Otherwise the most likely scenario is protecting 4 defenceman and 4 forwards.

Timmins, Graves, or Burakovsky would be my targets if I was Seattle.
Even if Byram explodes onto the scene Sakic still won't expose Toews.

Reactions: Bender

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Even if Byram explodes onto the scene Sakic still won't expose Toews.

It’s unlikely, but if Byram was good enough to be in the Calder conversation I would entertain the idea. Burakovsky might be more valuable since they’d have a surplus of defenceman.

I don’t think Byram is going to be at a good enough to expose Toews anyways though.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It’s unlikely, but if Byram was good enough to be in the Calder conversation I would entertain the idea. Burakovsky might be more valuable since they’d have a surplus of defenceman.

I don’t think Byram is going to be at a good enough to expose Toews anyways though.
If Byram is good enough to be in the Calder conversation you still protect Toews. There's zero reason to lose a very good defenseman if you don't have to.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Byram is good enough to be in the Calder conversation you still protect Toews. There's zero reason to lose a very good defenseman if you don't have to.

Like I say, I think the chances of it happening are very low and it would be dependent on guys like Byram and Timmins playing really good hockey this year.

If everyone hits their potential you get to a point where it’s a lot easier to sustain a loss on the backend than it is in the forward group.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm warming to the idea of paying Seattle to take Graves. Maybe they'll take the deal, maybe they won't, but sending a pick to Seattle to make them take Graves is very unlikely to backfire on us.

Graves is a serviceable guy in the top four from Seattle's perspective, but from ours he's an expensive luxury bottom pair D with no long-term future on the team. IMO, even if he breaks out and becomes something more than what we've seen, it won't be a disaster as long as we still have Toews. And the pick is what it is. We have a deep prospect pool already, and I'd rather give up that than a prospect like Ranta or Ambrosio because that does have the potential to really burn us if they turn into something really good. Rather just give them a mystery box of a pick and keep the core of the team together.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm warming to the idea of paying Seattle to take Graves. Maybe they'll take the deal, maybe they won't, but sending a pick to Seattle to make them take Graves is very unlikely to backfire on us.

Graves is a serviceable guy in the top four from Seattle's perspective, but from ours he's an expensive luxury bottom pair D with no long-term future on the team. IMO, even if he breaks out and becomes something more than what we've seen, it won't be a disaster as long as we still have Toews. And the pick is what it is. We have a deep prospect pool already, and I'd rather give up that than a prospect like Ranta or Ambrosio because that does have the potential to really burn us if they turn into something really good. Rather just give them a mystery box of a pick and keep the core of the team together.
There's no need to pay Seattle to take Graves. They'll likely have the choice between Graves, Compher, and Donskoi, and Graves as a defenseman will be their likeliest choice if the Vegas ExD is any indication. Even if Seattle pass on Graves that works out fine for us as we'd get cap relief from one of Compher/Donskoi being selected instead.

Reactions: MarkT and Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
People need to realize that Seatle can keep their money to build their team via trades and UFA's. They don't have to take bad contracts in the expansion draft.

With the flat cap, teams desperate to unload money in the next offseason will help them tremendously (see: Schmidt trade) and they can also bank on UFA's that don't receive good offers because all the other teams don't have cap space.

From a roster building POV, Seattle is extremely lucky to enter the league in these conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad