En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Does this qualify as 'no notes' (released 1971):

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I still like the Screaming Jay Hawkins proposition as it seems to me to be borderline (but even though I love music, my ear is very limited so I wouldn't really know).
Well, if hollering "(oh) yeah!" and "wooo!" counts as "shouting lyrics", then I guess that song qualifies. I don't see the difference between that and numerous Little Richard songs though.

Last edited:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Already been done in Sprechgesang and Sprechstimme lieder and operas many years before. Especially expressionist operas to heighten the inner conflict of the character with the external world they face.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Tina Turner goes occasionally quite nuts on this track:

But a bit like with e.g. Screamin' Jay Hawkins, she's not really shouting the actual lyrics but rather around/over them. And I guess you could notate that screaming anyway...

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
In that case, I don't think "Jet" qualifies either. The scream "jet!" is a (single) note, and I don't remember any other shouting in the song either. (It was not the OP who made the claim, but anyway...)
If you want to get technical, every sound that engages the vocal chords is a note – sighing, clearing your throat, yelling "F***!!" when you drop your phone, talking – all have pitches that conform to specific notes. But of course not every note is singing.

That said, much to my surprise, I just listened to "Jet" and it is indeed sung! The song's in "A" and McCartney clearly barks out "Jet" in a high "A".
What I thought too, most examples here are very controlled and in par with the melody. I still like the Screaming Jay Hawkins proposition as it seems to me to be borderline (but even though I love music, my ear is very limited so I wouldn't really know).

What's your take on Monks? It's a good part of the album, but this one in particular:

0:45 - "Stop it! Stop it! I don't like it!" - isn't that pretty much just screaming? :)

That's neither singing nor shouting. It's talking over the music, but not part of the notated music.
Does this qualify as 'no notes' (released 1971):

Kind of the opposite – it's lots of notes sung very precisely and quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
In concert, Jim Morrison of the Doors shouted lyrics, even once on the Ed Sullivan Show (Higher!) which got him a perma ban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad