Early Christmas gift to Rich Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

Merry Christmas to Rich Nash. You have failed yet in your career to win a single gold medal in an international hockey tournament. You failed at the 2002 World juniors as a 17-year old to capatilize on several good scoring chances when the Canadian and Russian teams were tied 5-5, which could have given Canada the gold medal, you turned down a request to be on the 2003 World Championship team that won gold(something Bergeron accepted at the same age), you miss the 2004 World Championships with a flukish illness which seems to be a common trait for you(along with flukish injuries), you are one of Canada's best players at the 2005 special NHL-available World Championships yet fail to score on several key scoring chances when Canada was still down 1-0 in the gold medal game which could have been a huge turning point in the game. So you have failed on many opportunities to potentialy win gold on the international stage in a number of ways. You have not won a significant championship even in junior hockey, something that can be done by almost one player alone if exceptional enough(
eg-Crosby with Rimouski last year, among other examples), and the biggest winning team you were on won something called the Spengler Cup(not to demean that, but we are comparing you to big time players). Also while you cannot be blamed for being on a young Columbus team with great potential, but alot of players not yet of your maturity level, you dont really give the impression of somebody who makes your teammates better around you to the same extent as many others, atleast not yet.

Nonetheless you no doubt have some impressive abilities. You tied for the league lead in goals as a 19-year old, the youngest ever to do, and probably something even Crosby wont match(I highly doubt Crosby will lead the league in goals or points even next year, or come close). You have very impressive offensive upside, speed, strength, skill, skating abiilty, puck handling skills. Yet you are not a two way player, you are not a great passer, and you are still a bit one-dimensional. Nonetheless you probably warranted an Olympic spot roster had you been healthy all year, yet you have not been, you have played only 5 games at the time of the selection date, scoring only 2 points in those 5 games, while young stars your own age like Staal and Spezza, and proven veterans like Shanahan and Kariya played some outstanding hockey, and all players who gradualy picked up their level of play as selection date neared. Yet you made the team in front of all of these people, despite not being a proven winner at any level, junior or otherwise, despite there being almost no evidence of your level of play this year, despite being only a one-dimensional goal scorer(albeit an exceptional one at that, one of the best in the game when healthy). Ho ho Rich Nash, you have an early Christmas gift. :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
wildone26 said:
Merry Christmas to Rich Nash. You have failed yet in your career to win a single gold medal in an international hockey tournament. You failed at the 2002 World juniors as a 17-year old to capatilize on several good scoring chances when the Canadian and Russian teams were tied 5-5, which could have given Canada the gold medal, you turned down a request to be on the 2003 World Championship team that won gold(something Bergeron accepted at the same age), you miss the 2004 World Championships with a flukish illness which seems to be a common trait for you(along with flukish injuries), you are one of Canada's best players at the 2005 special NHL-available World Championships yet fail to score on several key scoring chances when Canada was still down 1-0 in the gold medal game which could have been a huge turning point in the game. So you have failed on many opportunities to potentialy win gold on the international stage in a number of ways. You have not won a significant championship even in junior hockey, something that can be done by almost one player alone if exceptional enough(
eg-Crosby with Rimouski last year, among other examples), and the biggest winning team you were on won something called the Spengler Cup(not to demean that, but we are comparing you to big time players). Also while you cannot be blamed for being on a young Columbus team with great potential, but alot of players not yet of your maturity level, you dont really give the impression of somebody who makes your teammates better around you to the same extent as many others, atleast not yet.

Nonetheless you no doubt have some impressive abilities. You tied for the league lead in goals as a 19-year old, the youngest ever to do, and probably something even Crosby wont match(I highly doubt Crosby will lead the league in goals or points even next year, or come close). You have very impressive offensive upside, speed, strength, skill, skating abiilty, puck handling skills. Yet you are not a two way player, you are not a great passer, and you are still a bit one-dimensional. Nonetheless you probably warranted an Olympic spot roster had you been healthy all year, yet you have not been, you have played only 5 games at the time of the selection date, scoring only 2 points in those 5 games, while young stars your own age like Staal and Spezza, and proven veterans like Shanahan and Kariya played some outstanding hockey, and all players who gradualy picked up their level of play as selection date neared. Yet you made the team in front of all of these people, despite not being a proven winner at any level, junior or otherwise, despite there being almost no evidence of your level of play this year, despite being only a one-dimensional goal scorer(albeit an exceptional one at that, one of the best in the game when healthy). Ho ho Rich Nash, you have an early Christmas gift. :yo:

:loony:

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
wildone26 said:

Since Nash got back he's scored a goal in all 3 games he's played in. You're a hater.

wildone26*

I knew this would not be a popular thread, but I am not a hater. I actually like Rich Nash, and I love watching him play. I simply dont believe he has shown the ability to lead teams to victory, something he has never done in his career, except in the Swiss league, and because he has barely played this year he does not warrant a spot on the talent-rich Team Canada. I do hope he has an awesome tournament and actually plays on a team that wins in the end for once(for him), and all that proves me wrong, but that is just how I feel now.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
wildone26 said:
I knew this would not be a popular thread, but I am not a hater. I actually like Rich Nash, and I love watching him play. I simply dont believe he has shown the ability to lead teams to victory, something he has never done in his career, except in the Swiss league, and because he has barely played this year he does not warrant a spot on the talent-rich Team Canada. I do hope he has an awesome tournament and actually plays on a team that wins in the end for once(for him), and all that proves me wrong, but that is just how I feel now.

I hate Rich Nash too, he's such a hack. Not at all like Rick Nash (no excuses either, you misspelled his name no less than 3 times) :sarcasm:

Seriously, Nash makes it because, like Bertuzzi, he can be a game changing force when he's on. If he's not on and he disappears, so be it. There are plenty of talented forwards who can cover for one player's scoring deficiency. However, if he steps it up, then slap him on a line with Joey T and watch them crush the opposition.

falcor

Jul 30, 2005
www.wetalk.tv
at least be an equal opportunity hater! if you feel that spezza, staal, kariya, shannahan, etc... should have been on the team, that is 4 spots. you have 3 other players currently on the team to blast to make room for them.
:cry:

joe_shannon_1983*

wildone26 said:

Nonetheless you no doubt have some impressive abilities. You tied for the league lead in goals as a 19-year old, the youngest ever to do, and probably something even Crosby wont match(I highly doubt Crosby will lead the league in goals or points even next year, or come close). You have very impressive offensive upside, speed, strength, skill, skating abiilty, puck handling skills. Yet you are not a two way player, you are not a great passer, and you are still a bit one-dimensional. Nonetheless you probably warranted an Olympic spot roster had you been healthy all year, yet you have not been, you have played only 5 games at the time of the selection date, scoring only 2 points in those 5 games, while young stars your own age like Staal and Spezza, and proven veterans like Shanahan and Kariya played some outstanding hockey, and all players who gradualy picked up their level of play as selection date neared. Yet you made the team in front of all of these people, despite not being a proven winner at any level, junior or otherwise, despite there being almost no evidence of your level of play this year, despite being only a one-dimensional goal scorer(albeit an exceptional one at that, one of the best in the game when healthy. Ho ho Rich Nash, you have an early Christmas gift. :yo:

I almost agree completely, except for the sentence that I bolded in your post.

I never thought that he deserved to be on the team. Not until he at least did one of the following:

1. Scored more than 57 points in his best year.
....Or....
2. Learned how to play some defense.
....Or....
3. Proved that he can be a winner.

Guys like Kariya, Shanahan, Tanguay, Spezza, Staal, and Marleau all have shown than they possess at least one, if not more, of the three criteria listed above.

All of those guys deserved to be on the team before Nash did.

Rick Nash may be the most over-rated player in the history of hockey.

I have followed hockey as a fan for a long time, and have also spent many hours researching hockey and hockey history.

And I have never seen a 57 point scorer who can't pass, can't play defense, can't lead, and can't win given so much acclaim and recognition.

To be honest with you, I haven't decided whether it is comical, in a sad joke type of way. Or whether it is disgusting, in a too bad for others more deserving of praise type of way.

wildone26*

ferns8916 said:
I almost agree completely, except for the sentence that I bolded in your post.

I never thought that he deserved to be on the team. Not until he at least did one of the following:

1. Scored more than 57 points in his best year.
....Or....
2. Learned how to play some defense.
....Or....
3. Proved that he can be a winner.

Guys like Kariya, Shanahan, Tanguay, Spezza, Staal, and Marleau all have shown than they possess at least one, if not more, of the three criteria listed above.

All of those guys deserved to be on the team before Nash did.

Rick Nash may be the most over-rated player in the history of hockey.

I have followed hockey as a fan for a long time, and have also spent many hours researching hockey and hockey history.

And I have never seen a 57 point scorer who can't pass, can't play defense, can't lead, and can't win given so much acclaim and recognition.

To be honest with you, I haven't decided whether it is comical, in a sad joke type of way. Or whether it is disgusting, in a too bad for others more deserving of praise type of way.

I completely agree with your accessment on Nash, and bewilderment at the recognition and acclaim bestowed on him. :clap:

It is also not good for him as a player IMO. He is told he is better than he really is right now, he is led to believe that all that matters in hockey is your ability to score goals, as I conceded one area(probably the only one) he is extremely good at. I was happy he was left of the 2004 World Cup roster, despite that historic accomplishment of tieing for the NHL lead in goals at only 19, I was hopeful that bitter dissapointment would send him a message to become a more complete player if he wanted to better himself as a player and be part of future Team Canadas. I was looking forward to seeing him play more this year and seeing what strides he may have taken(or not have taken), even since the World Championships last year, and more specifically the last NHL season which is a better comparision, he should not even be remotedly considered for the team without showing those neccessary strides, which obviously is impossable to know with so little play, and 2 points in 5 games(at the time), a -1, and atleast 3 ugly turnovers total that I saw on sports highlights in only those 5 games hardly suggests anything of the sort.

If I were Shanahan or Marleau I would be particularly p#ssed given my recent level of play being so high, to be left off in favor of Nash, but all 6 guys you mentioned certainly have strong arguments.

wildone26*

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/12/22/1364445-sun.html

LOL! Rick Nash even has his age exagerrated, something that would be hard to exagerrate. Jason Spezza is a full year older than Mr. Nash, and Staal is only a few months younger. Yet with all this talk about the others being too young to make the team, Nash's youth is almost never brought up, and in fact now a writer even calls him "as the eldest of the four youngsters"!?!?! Apparently alot of things about Mr. Nash is supersized, even his age. Shown more improvement than any player in the World during the lockout? He led the World Championships in goals, that is hardly surprising, he led the NHL in goals last time as a 19 year old, as I conceded he is an exceptional goal scorer. He was 2nd in points, but then again how many people were missing, or of players that were there had not played as much as him and were not as prepared for the rigors of the event as he was, it is no coincidence he and Thornton who had played so much in Europe led the tournament in points. He dominated in the Swiss league, well how does the Swiss league translate into NHL-caliber hockey, or Olympic-level hockey and demonstrate
your progress in that level in a conclusive way?

falcor

Jul 30, 2005
www.wetalk.tv
wildone26 said:
If I were Shanahan or Marleau I would be particularly p#ssed given my recent level of play being so high, to be left off in favor of Nash, but all 6 guys you mentioned certainly have strong arguments.
now you have added another player, bringing the total to 5 people being left off the team in favor of Nash. I think it is you, sir, who is overrating Nash. Isn't there any other player on the roster that happened to take a spot from Spezza, Staal, Shannahan, Marleau, or Kariya? Or do you continue to think that Nash took that spot from all of them?

wildone26*

falcor said:
now you have added another player, bringing the total to 5 people being left off the team in favor of Nash. I think it is you, sir, who is overrating Nash. Isn't there any other player on the roster that happened to take a spot from Spezza, Staal, Shannahan, Marleau, or Kariya? Or do you continue to think that Nash took that spot from all of them?

I am not saying it is Nash specifically who took spots away from those guys, or any one guy, at most he only took a spot away from one of those guys, if that. I do know he was probably not one of the first 7 chosen(the 7 virtual locks)but after that I am not sure what order the remaining ones were put on the team, and how close to the bubble each really was. I am just saying all those guys are more worthy, given their level of play this year, what Nash has done in his career, and Nash's almost complete inactivity this year, than Nash of making the team. You are right there is not likely room for all of those players on the team, even if you take off a couple of other "questionable" choices, and certainly not by only taking Nash off. Just saying Nash should not be above any of those players in making the team.

wildone26*

falcor said:
at least be an equal opportunity hater! if you feel that spezza, staal, kariya, shannahan, etc... should have been on the team, that is 4 spots. you have 3 other players currently on the team to blast to make room for them.
:cry:

I could do that, although Nash is the worst choice of all. He is the only one I have a huge bewilderment with at this point, but there are others I could handle being off the team as well. Draper......I see to some extent why he is on the team, but he is really not having a good year, and players like Smyth, Doan, even Bertuzzi, can play a griding and checking role nicely, even though all are fairly offensive per-elite-level players as well. Doan......well I could see an argument for him being on the team, but I could easily see him bumped off the team as well. He has been a bit dissapointing this year, and he is somebody you believe would have been on the bubble to begin with and need to be in top form and he hasnt quite been that of late. Bertuzzi or St. Louis.....neither of these players started the year in an inspiring way, given their abilities, but both have come on of late, both probably warrant a spot on the team, but at the same time I would have no problem with one or even both bumped to make room for a Shanahan or Kariya who have so much pedigree with Team Canadas past and have been very hot lately, or even a player like Marleau who is a fairly young but experienced player who has knocked on the door awhile to get on a team like this.

falcor

Jul 30, 2005
www.wetalk.tv
k. :) I get it. I'm just being a bit of a homer, I suppose. Nash means the world to the Jackets. His injuries really couldn't have been helped this year..and his production is quite good throughout his return. I just don't see how people can hold his +/- against him while ignoring his plusses(scoring, international play). If he fails miserably during the Olympics, I could understand dumping on him... but how about we let him show what he can do first? I mean, he is already selected...no amount of complaining or reasoning will change that. I hope he surprises you and has a good tourney.

and just think..if the Canadian team is so loaded with talent, that it has to leave Staal, Spezza, Kariya, etc.. off the team, imagine what the next Olympic team will be when the older guys miss the cut!

but, hey, what do I care? I like Nash as a player, but I'm American..so GO (USA!) :yo: :)

wildone26*

I do sincerely hope Nash has a very good tournament, and proves he can be part of a "winning" team. That would already be a step up from what he has proven so far. I also hope to see him play some good 2-way hockey, and atleast as many assists as goals would be a nice surprise as well.

As for Team USA, after looking at your lineup, my first thought was you need some hebrew prayers, particularly regarding the goaltending and the defence corps, but Team USA often surprises at major events.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
honestly, I say this trying to hold any homerism. I and most CBJ fans have been critical of Nash's 2-way play. Not as critical as you, but we all knew it needed to get better. He has been guilty of cherry picking from time to time. Thats a legit complaint. However in 4 games this year he has been better. Obviuosly he is still adjusting to the new rules, and getting over his 2 injuries that you dismiss, but IMHO he is better, almost like he is still growing as a player.

The criticism of his passing is absurd. He passes just fine. The biggest problem historicly for Nash is his CBJ teamates. Nash makes a pass and the player who he passes too turns it over. We have had some scorers, but during the course of a game Rich Nash ends up playing with all his teamates, thus he ends up passing to people who you couldnt pay to score a goal, beleive me we have treid it. Wait till you see him playing in your colors. Tell me then he cant pass or be a playmaker. Or is Terrel Owens on skates. Wild one you make Nasher out to be the antichrist. The kid loves scoring, cut him some slack.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Actually let's turn this around...

Canada, Merry Christmas... you have on your roster a player who is a consistent goal-scoring threat when healthy: Winning the Rocket Richard trophy in only his second year. You have someone who single-handedly dominated the World Championships earlier this year, and had you not run into the tourny's hottest goaltender in Tomas Vokoun, you would've captured gold.

Seriously, what's with the Rick Nash hate? Canada rewards veterans, Rick Nash is an international veteran. Sidney Crosby, Jason Spezza, and Eric Staal have nothing on him right now. GET OVER IT

jacketracket*

DougKnowsBest said:
Where is that troll? Im surprissed he hasnt come out to bust on Rich Nash.
Funny how the Nash-bashers seem to have dried up, lately.

caniacgirl12

Jun 14, 2004
Rochester, NY
I have never thought Nash as a player that was not worthy of the hype he was given.

I am *seriously* not trying to be mean here, but put him on a team with incredible wingers (which Columbus doesn't have) and he will be lethal.

He has been battling a knee injury this year, but who does he have to back him up or help him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->