Early 2020 Playoffs Seeding Predictions?

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
As of July 2019, which teams in the Western Conference do you see making the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and which seeding, given all the information we have as of now?
Also, if the Avs make it, which teams do you think we should meet, and should give us the most trouble?
Here are my seeing predictions.

Central Top 3

1. St. Louis Blues
st-louis-blues-squarelogo-1429538261647.png

Despite the fact that there'll be minimal to no change to their roster next year, I still believe the defending cup champions will win the division, as well as the conference, next year. In fact, the lack of a change in roster could even be beneficial as they'll already have a proven plan to work with. Over 2/3 of their roster is under 30 and they work with a balance of both speed and physicality, and their scoring depth is top notch, plus with Binnington in net, Berube as the head coach, and with a title to defend, I can absolutely see St. Louis clinching both the division and the conference.

2. Colorado Avalanche
colorado-avalanche-squarelogo-1506328109053.png

I know this prediction seems rather optimistic, but I do believe the Avs have the pieces to reach a top spot in the Central Division. The MacKinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog top line is one of the best top lines in the league, Grubauer has proven to be a stellar goaltender and our overall defense has improved considerably, and the addition of Kadri and Bellemare has added grit that the team needed more than ever. Say what you will about Kadri, but his grit and ability to draw penalties is something the Avs need to succeed, especially against a physical powerhouse like the Blues.

3. Dallas Stars
DAL.png

The addition of Pavelski to the roster has indeed intimidated many Avs fans, and some may assume I'm being wishful by predicting the Avs will be a seed higher. Sure a lot of it comes from wishful thinking, but let's also not forget that Pavelski only had 64 points last season, and combined with Seguin and Radulov only adds up to 216 points, compared to a combined 261 for MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog. That being said, the addition of Pavelski will add up nonetheless. The biggest threat Dallas provides however is in net, with Ben Bishop being one of the greatest goalies in the league as of now. With this prediction, the Avs and Stars would meet in the first round, and it should be a tough series for both teams.

Pacific Top 3

1. Calgary Flames
CGY.png

It was honestly tough to choose between Calgary and Vegas for the top spot in the Pacific. That being said, I believe Calgary will have more talent on their roster next year to repeat a top spot in their division. Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, and Giordano have combined for 410 points this past season, and all except Tkachuk have ongoing contracts into next season. Also, they're going to be in a similar position as Tampa in that this upcoming year will be a redemption year for them after getting blown out of the first round by the lowest seed.

2. Vegas Golden Knights
las-vegas-golden-knights-team-logo-patch-1.jpg

Let's face it, the Knights didn't have all that great of a year this past season, especially when compared to the season before. Perhaps we overestimated them after their stellar first season in 2018, and they'll be more sober going into next season, but it's something to take into consideration. I do predict the Knights to improve from this season going into next season, but I'm not expecting them to repeat what they did in their first season. Either way, the Knights should definitely make the playoffs, especially within a weak Pacific Division.

3. Arizona Coyotes
phoenix-coyotes-squarelogo-1426235916752.png

Yes, I'm picking the Yotes over the Sharks to make the playoffs this upcoming year. This team almost made the playoffs this past season, almost taking the second wild card spot we eventually clinched, and a large reason why they didn't make it was due to injuries. Should they stay healthy throughout this upcoming season, there's no reason to think they can't make the playoffs. Darcy Kuemper has had the fifth best GAA this past year in the regular season, and he should be taking Antti Raanta's job this upcoming season. A Vegas-Arizona matchup would also be the Battle of the Desert, that should be an interesting series.

Wild Cards

1. Nashville Predators
nashville-predators-squarelogo-1426234366776.png

Nashville honestly looks like a team on the decline, I don't think acquiring Duchene is going to change that either. That being said though, I'm only predicting the Preds to be a Wild Card because of a stacked Central Division. They should still have more points than the Yotes, and possibly even the Knights.

2. Chicago Blackhawks
blackhawks-logo-1-100x100.png

Acquiring a top draft pick as well as Robin Lehner in net should definitely help the Hawks get back into a playoff spot. That being said, an aging core will provide a challenge for them, so I can't see them getting any higher than a Wild Card spot, especially against younger, stronger teams in the division.

With this seeding model, the Avs would face the Stars in the first round. Already, they would be a serious challenge, especially with Pavelski, Seguin, Radulov, and Bishop on that roster. However, our biggest challenge I feel would come from the defending champions in the Second Round. The Blues had our number last year, and they're a physical powerhouse, this is why having Kadri on our roster could actually be a good thing, softness has been our biggest detriment for a long time.

As for the Eastern Conference, I'm picking Tampa, Boston, and Florida for Top 3 in Atlantic; New Jersey, Washington, and the Rangers for Top 3 in the Metro; Carolina and Toronto for Wild Cards. Plus Tampa would repeat a President's Trophy.

With those seeds, here's a (wishful thinking) bracket pick;

physical-map-of-north-america-with-roads-and-major-cities-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy-2.jpg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They should have a simulation for this like the draft simulation

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It is so hard to predict what this Avs team is going to do this season. A lot of it is going to come down to the performance of guys like Burakovsky, Jost, and Compher. They could stay exactly the same, or pop off for 50+ points. I really like that we’ve dumped guys like Brassard, Bourque, and Ghetto off the roster and likely moved Calvert and Nieto down to the 4th line. Barrie will be missed, and our overwhelming advantage on the blue line that we had in the playoffs is probably gone.

I could see us winning the division, or narrowly missing the playoffs. The range is pretty wide in my eyes because we are relying on a group that has a lot of potential, but we don’t know if it will be realized.

The Central Division is a monster, but ultimately I do think we get in. And as we saw last year, if you get in, who knows what can happen.

I’m hoping some of the key aging players on teams like Chicago, Nashville, San Jose, and Dallas will start to show signs of regression.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The beautiful thing is that the Avs are already a back-to-back playoff team with huge potential. Most of the top teams in the west have a few older core guys, the Avs really don't.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Will be interesting following Detroit too because Steve Yzerman is a guy not tolerating losing, I highly doubt they will reach playoffs this coming season though.

Steve Yzerman back in Detroit was the best thing that could happen for them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll be glad if we make it in without having to wait until the last game of the year to know if we've made it or not.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not a bad prediction as far as standings are concerned. I can certainly see us finish 2nd. In fact I said so a few days ago. I don't know about us winning the Cup though. A lot would have to go right I would think with guys like Bura, Donskoi, Jost and Compher, and the top guys staying healthy. Gru would also need to give us a .918 SV% or better as well I would think. All this s a tall order for the playoffs but not impossible because once you make the playoffs anything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->