Early 2019 NHL Draft Rankings

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here is my early top 31 2019 NHL mock Draft !

Don't be afraid to leave your thoughts bellow. I want to hear your opinion !

1. Jack Hughes, C
2. Kaapo Kakko, RW
3. Alex Newhook, C
4. Alex Turcotte, C
5. Bowen Byram, D
6. Peyton Krebs, LW
7. Kyrbie Dach, C
8. Dylan Cozens, C
9. Raphael Lavoie, C
10 .Arthur kaliyev, LW
11. Jakob Pelletier, RW
12. Anttoni Honka, D
13. Cole Caufield, RW
14.Blake Murray, C
15. Ryan Suzuki, C
16. Maxim Cajkovic, RW
17. Valentin Nussbaumer, C
18. Cam York, D
19. Nolan Foote, RW
20. Tobias Björnfot, D
21. Mattew Robertson, D
22. Victor Soderstrom, D
23. Marshall Warren, D
24. Samuel Poulin, C
25. Alex Vlasic, D
26. Trevor Zegras
27. Dustin Wolf, G
28. Albin Grewe, RW
29. Nils Höglander, LW
30. Dmitri Sheshin, C
31. Artemi Knyazev, D
Honorable mentions : Simon Holmström, Case McCarthy, Brett Budgell, Matthew Boldy, Mikko Kokkonen, Brady Meyer

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Excellent list Andy............great Twitter.
Andrew Perrott, London Knights D-Man will be a fast riser.
He's a very tough D-Man with good wheels, great shot and playmaker.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Fantastic early list. Got all the names there. Although I don't think he can make it to the first round Xavier Parent of the Mooseheads finished the season very strong and was their best player in the playoffs. Hoping the upward trend carries on into next season. Somebody told me the other day he's in the U-18 camp now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Man, if the Avs can draft any one of Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, or Newhook with the Sens 1st round pick next year that would be an absolute dream.

Obviously Hughes is a beast but those 3 guys are going to be elite players as well. Especially Kakko I think, would not surprise me to see him challenge Hughes for #1 Overall next year. Though I doubt he takes the top spot but he'll give him a good run.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Excellent list Andy............great Twitter.
Andrew Perrott, London Knights D-Man will be a fast riser.
He's a very tough D-Man with good wheels, great shot and playmaker.
Thanks ! With Bouchard getting all the minutes last year, I didn't see Andrew Perrott enough, but I will keep an eye on him.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Soderstrom and Foote are wayyyy too low. Caufield too high
Obviously, I still need to watch more games to get a full idea of every prospect, but I just wasn't as impress with Soderstrom than other D prospect. I might have seen his worst games tough. I'm curious, what aspect of his games makes you think he should be higher ? It's the same for Foote. I didn't like his poor progression too. In the case of Caufield, I value way more talent and skill than size. I really like Caufield game. He needs to improve his defensive game, but I enjoy too much his offensive skills to put him lower. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, and I'll definitely take a closer look at those three prospects.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Fantastic early list. Got all the names there. Although I don't think he can make it to the first round Xavier Parent of the Mooseheads finished the season very strong and was their best player in the playoffs. Hoping the upward trend carries on into next season. Somebody told me the other day he's in the U-18 camp now.
Thanks ! Yeah, Parent had a disappointing first half of the season, but I really like his progression. He's very skill and I look forward to see him next season with a stack Halifax team.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Man, if the Avs can draft any one of Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, or Newhook with the Sens 1st round pick next year that would be an absolute dream.

Obviously Hughes is a beast but those 3 guys are going to be elite players as well. Especially Kakko I think, would not surprise me to see him challenge Hughes for #1 Overall next year. Though I doubt he takes the top spot but he'll give him a good run.
Yeah, it's interesting because Kakko plays a very skill game like Hughes, but has the size on his side (6'4"). Hughes also plays a game that some teams might thing is not translatable to the NHL (same for Quinn Hughes) because he control the puck most of the time. I'm sure some teams will look in that and might put Kakko ahead. I really like both of them and I think they are closer than most think. I still expect to rank Hughes ahead all season and to see him pick first overall come june 2019. For the abs, it would be just incredible to select one of those guys with the Senators pick.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks ! With Bouchard getting all the minutes last year, I didn't see Andrew Perrott enough, but I will keep an eye on him.

Excellent insight Andy.
Most Scouts would agree with you.
London Knights play their Top 6 Forward and Top 3 D-man heavy.
The Knights traded their older experienced talent like Robbie Thomas.
When this happened players like Liam Foudy saw a lot of quality playing time.
Andrew Perrott will see plenty of ice time this coming season in various situations.
Like Father.............Like Son
Andrew Perrott's Dad played in the NHL.
ANDREW PERROTT (D) – DETROIT HONEYBAKED 16U (T1EHL)
46 GP, 6G, 19A, 25 PTS.
London’s 2nd round (34th overall) selection

FATHER: Nathan Perrott – Oshawa Generals/Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (1994-97). Three-year NHL career from parts of 2001-06. Oshawa’s 2nd round (31st overall) pick in the 1994 OHL Priority Selection from the St. Mary’s Lincolns Jr. B.
6-foot, 195Ib. defenceman Andrew Perrott of the Detroit Honeybaked 16U program follows in the footsteps of father Nathan Perrott, a rugged winger originally from Owen Sound, Ont. who put up 30 goals with Oshawa in 1996. Perrott plays a solid two-way game on the back end.
Like Father Like Son: Family connections abound in 2017 OHL Priority Selection – Ontario Hockey League

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Obviously, I still need to watch more games to get a full idea of every prospect, but I just wasn't as impress with Soderstrom than other D prospect. I might have seen his worst games tough. I'm curious, what aspect of his games makes you think he should be higher ? It's the same for Foote. I didn't like his poor progression too. In the case of Caufield, I value way more talent and skill than size. I really like Caufield game. He needs to improve his defensive game, but I enjoy too much his offensive skills to put him lower. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, and I'll definitely take a closer look at those three prospects.
Personally, I don't see Caufield really as an impact player and I feel he succeeds from playing with Hughes more than anything, I could be mistaken however. Soderstrom I just feel is one of, if not the strongest skater in the draft and that the sky is the limit for him. Foote did calm down this year in terms of production, but I found his game much more complete and well-rounded. I think he'll explode next year.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Excellent insight Andy.
Most Scouts would agree with you.
London Knights play their Top 6 Forward and Top 3 D-man heavy.
The Knights traded their older experienced talent like Robbie Thomas.
When this happened players like Liam Foudy saw a lot of quality playing time.
Andrew Perrott will see plenty of ice time this coming season in various situations.
Like Father.............Like Son
Andrew Perrott's Dad played in the NHL.
ANDREW PERROTT (D) – DETROIT HONEYBAKED 16U (T1EHL)
46 GP, 6G, 19A, 25 PTS.
London’s 2nd round (34th overall) selection

FATHER: Nathan Perrott – Oshawa Generals/Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (1994-97). Three-year NHL career from parts of 2001-06. Oshawa’s 2nd round (31st overall) pick in the 1994 OHL Priority Selection from the St. Mary’s Lincolns Jr. B.
6-foot, 195Ib. defenceman Andrew Perrott of the Detroit Honeybaked 16U program follows in the footsteps of father Nathan Perrott, a rugged winger originally from Owen Sound, Ont. who put up 30 goals with Oshawa in 1996. Perrott plays a solid two-way game on the back end.
Like Father Like Son: Family connections abound in 2017 OHL Priority Selection – Ontario Hockey League
Thanks ! Yeah, like you said, Hunter is known to play his top 6 Forward and top 3 D way more than the rest of his team and I'm sure Perrott will have the ice time to prove himself this year, so I'll keep a eye on him. The best example was Foudy this year.

Reactions: zman77

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Personally, I don't see Caufield really as an impact player and I feel he succeeds from playing with Hughes more than anything, I could be mistaken however. Soderstrom I just feel is one of, if not the strongest skater in the draft and that the sky is the limit for him. Foote did calm down this year in terms of production, but I found his game much more complete and well-rounded. I think he'll explode next year.
OK I understand your point for the three prospect. In the three, Soderstrom is the one I watched the least. He did seem to have a strong skating, but for the rest, I just liked other defensemen more. Foote has a strong 2-way game and he became more nhl ready this year, but I didn't saw a progression in his offensive abilities and that's why I'm concern with his top 6 potential. I'm high on talent and skill and that's why he felt for me. For Caufield, I was on the same page as you mid season because I thought his performances was elevated by Hughes, but with the U18 tournament, I was impressed how he create chances by himself. He did have Wise and Farabee on his line, but he also create plays that made them look better. Anyway, that's just my opinion and I've glad to hear yours. It will be interesting to see how they will do throughout the year.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

And what do you think about ,Krebs,Dach and Cozens?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Here is my early top 31 2019 NHL mock Draft !

Don't be afraid to leave your thoughts bellow. I want to hear your opinion !

1. Jack Hughes, C
2. Kaapo Kakko, RW
3. Alex Newhook, C
4. Alex Turcotte, C
5. Bowen Byram, D
6. Peyton Krebs, LW
7. Kyrbie Dach, C
8. Dylan Cozens, C
9. Raphael Lavoie, C
10 .Arthur kaliyev, LW
11. Jakob Pelletier, RW
12. Anttoni Honka, D
13. Cole Caufield, RW
14.Blake Murray, C
15. Ryan Suzuki, C
16. Maxim Cajkovic, RW
17. Valentin Nussbaumer, C
18. Cam York, D
19. Nolan Foote, RW
20. Tobias Björnfot, D
21. Mattew Robertson, D
22. Victor Soderstrom, D
23. Marshall Warren, D
24. Samuel Poulin, C
25. Alex Vlasic, D
26. Trevor Zegras
27. Dustin Wolf, G
28. Albin Grewe, RW
29. Nils Höglander, LW
30. Dmitri Sheshin, C
31. Artemi Knyazev, D
Honorable mentions : Simon Holmström, Case McCarthy, Brett Budgell, Matthew Boldy, Mikko Kokkonen, Brady Meyer

Good list..however I think.newhook goes second and Dach falls out of the top.ten I like Lavoie at ninth spot. He may very well go higher. Knyazev has dropped from past reports on him

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think after Hughes it is still a crap shoot. I believe that the names will mostly stay the same, but the order will change as the margins of difference between 2-31 are so very slim.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

Hughes and Caufield kind of remind me of McDavid and Draisaitl. Draisaitl is a great player but playing with McDavid he looks maybe a little better than he actually is.

Reactions: teemussalami1

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
2019 is such a good draft year for WHL prospects. I'm quite confident Kaedan Korczak will crack the top 31 and Finn import Lassi Thomson might come close too. Plus I'm still a big fan of Sasha Mutala, Josh Williams and Logan Barlage. I could see all five of those prospects in the top 40, if not the top 31. Lots of good goalies from the WHL too with Nolan Maier, Taylor Gauthier and Roman Basran in addition to Dustin Wolf.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
2019 is such a good draft year for WHL prospects. I'm quite confident Kaedan Korczak will crack the top 31 and Finn import Lassi Thomson might come close too. Plus I'm still a big fan of Sasha Mutala, Josh Williams and Logan Barlage. I could see all five of those prospects in the top 40, if not the top 31. Lots of good goalies from the WHL too with Nolan Maier, Taylor Gauthier and Roman Basran in addition to Dustin Wolf.
I'm a big fan of Korczak and Mutala. Both or already rising on my boards. After a down year this past draft, WHL will indeed return in force with some great prospect eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad