Confirmed with Link: Eakin to WPG for cond. 4th 2021(becomes 3rd if WPG re-signs him or gets into playoffs)

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
how does he make sure Glass plays wing? Doesn’t the coach decide that?

Right. And we aren't coaches either, obvi. We have been very frustrated that both coaches have slotted rookie kid Glass on the wing we're he can constantly eat the wall instead of his natural C position, to preserve an ineffective vet center.

It isn't his fault Glass got no 3C, but Eakin's trade makes it possible he will once he heals from his many wall meals.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
how does he make sure Glass plays wing? Doesn’t the coach decide that?
Turk loved Eakin so he didn't move from 3C and instead we played 2 guys out of position(Tuch at LW instead of RW) on third. Turk is a big player's coach and he hates changing the lineup. PDB he was injured at the start and got like 2-3 games before being sent down due to cap.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Quinney the center, who'll play at wing because that's how we do?

Well, the problem would be that we'd have 3 centers on that line. My preference is to shift the more experienced guys over to the wings.....So I'd have Q flanked by Nosek and Channy, with Roy centering 4th

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Just get it over with, bring up Pirri and put him on the wing with a real playmaking center now that black hole Eakin is gone. I guess Quinney is an ok call up to give him a shot, but I think Pirri has proven to be a better NHL producer playing on the wing and that's what's needed.

As much as its fun to get shiny new toys, at some point the team needs to just accept the limitations that come with injuries and put out a competent team until the injured guys get back.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Just get it over with, bring up Pirri and put him on the wing with a real playmaking center now that black hole Eakin is gone. I guess Quinney is an ok call up to give him a shot, but I think Pirri has proven to be a better NHL producer playing on the wing and that's what's needed.

As much as its fun to get shiny new toys, at some point the team needs to just accept the limitations that come with injuries and put out a competent team until the injured guys get back.

We also need puck control and defensive responsibility, which our team relies on from top to bottom. Pirri provided neither of those so I don't think we'll be seeing him again.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
We also need puck control and defensive responsibility, which our team relies on from top to bottom. Pirri provided neither of those so I don't think we'll be seeing him again.

Is Quinney going to be better at that right now on the wing? Pirri had a terrible start to the season, no doubt about it. He certainly has room for improvement on his defense, but unless the ask is to be a shutdown third line, which was probably the case with Eakin, I think he's got some upside. If Tuch is scoring at the rate we saw in the past and Glass can produce from the wing, then Pirri is not needed. But those two things really weren't happening.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
He's been supremely ineffective most of his career here, with exception of some bright stretches with higher lines last year.

Perhaps we're misusing him and he should be a top sixer. In that case, we simply don't have room for him.

I love the guy himself, and hope he has great success with the peg.

We have used Eakin in the top 6 this season a little bit. And people complained about it because of his poor play.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Exactly. Should have moved him for whatever they could get last summer and kept Haula.

Haula struggled last season and him getting a significant knee injury would have been a concern. Meanwhile Eakin was coming off his best season. It sucked but the team was going to lose someone it didn’t want to lose. Nobody thought Eakin would be anywhere near this bad.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Haula struggled last season and him getting a significant knee injury would have been a concern. Meanwhile Eakin was coming off his best season. It sucked but the team was going to lose someone it didn’t want to lose. Nobody thought Eakin would be anywhere near this bad.

I think everyone expected first season Eakin to return and Haula saved 1.1M more. He was also the more dynamic player, which we needed more than another defense forward.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

If you look at my post history in the summer you'll find at least one person who knew moving Eakin was the top priority. He rode a sky high shooting percentage and the best linemates he ever had last year. It was obvious he was never going to replicate it. In my mind there were 2 options after dumping Eakin. A. Haula own rental B. Use the Eakin cap savings toward the defense.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
We could have done this months ago for a higher return and the ability to retain Goose.

Hard to know how it would have gone with Goose. He is on a team that is rebuilding so they are going to be patient with him. Who would we have played him with? How would the team handle his early season struggles? Fans would have freaked out, called him overrated and demanded he get benched.

And even if he did well wouldn’t he want a huge raise and probably leave in a couple of years anyway?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If you look at my post history in the summer you'll find at least one person who knew moving Eakin was the top priority. He rode a sky high shooting percentage and the best linemates he ever had last year. It was obvious he was never going to replicate it. In my mind there were 2 options after dumping Eakin. A. Haula own rental B. Use the Eakin cap savings toward the defense.

At this rate, we could possibly get Haula back for cheap. He's injured again and I wonder what the market will look like for him, considering Gardiner was coming off a better season but had injury concerns and took a 4 year 4M deal.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

I never expected him to replicate that either. Fwiw I didn’t expect a repeat of what Haula did 2 years ago either. I still miss Haula though and wouldn’t have any issue with anyone preferring to keep him last summer.

When Eakin struggles people are going to use that to say we should have traded him in the offseason, but we didn’t know he would play this badly. It kind of reminds me of people saying we were right to trade Gusev when he struggled early in the season. Or when people said the expansion draft was set up to make sure we would dominate right away because look at the immediate results.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Eakin isn't a case of revisionist history though. I wasn't the only one that thought moving him last summer was common sense at the time. I figured he'd be back down in the 25p range. As cap strapped as we were we had no business having 4m against the cap for that kind of production.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Eakin isn't a case of revisionist history though. I wasn't the only one that thought moving him last summer was common sense at the time. I figured he'd be back down in the 25p range. As cap strapped as we were we had no business having 4m against the cap for that kind of production.

We also have Smith, Stone, Carrier as defensive wingers and Karlsson, Stastny, Nosek as defensive centers. We were totally covered in that regard but a dynamic goalscoring forward was something we could have used. It still baffles why Haula was chosen over Eakin.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Eakin had some decent years in Dallas fwiw. A 40 point season with 19 goals and two other seasons with 16 goals. Then in his last year though I don’t know why but he fell off.

Haula had 26 points the year before he became a Knight, 34 points the year before that, and 14 the year before that. Last season he got off to a slow start and then suffered a major knee injury. Did the front office not think much of him?

The team lost Bellemare too which would probably make the front office want to keep Eakin more.

I don’t disagree with you guys that much and actually even agree with some of what you’re saying. I’m trying to speculate on why the front office went in the direction they did. I wish we did keep Haula instead of Eakin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->