Movies: Each Actor's Most Iconic Role

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Regardless of your own personal bias, Titanic was at one point the highest grossing film in history. It is absolutely DiCaprio's most iconic role

Also, Gran Torino? The Man With No Name is arguably the most iconic character in the history of western films

51QRhZaOsiL.jpg
Josey Wales.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Batman, Looper, Inception?

James Franco
127 Hours, Spider-Man, The Disaster Artist?

Seth Rogen
Knocked Up?

Michael Cera and Jonah Hill
Superbad?

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Adam Sandler - The Waterboy, I love Happy Gilmore but the waterboy is his iconic character
Heath Ledger - The Joker
Julia Styles - 10 Things I Hate About You
Kirstin Dunst - Cheerleader
Tobey McGuire - Spiderman
David Tennant - Doctor Who #10
Emma Watson - Hermione Granger
Ryan Gosling - The Notebook
Rachel McAdams - Mean Girls
Edward Norton - American History X
Kate Beckinsale - Underworld
Vin Diesel - Fast and Furious

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think there are some actors who probably need to have two.

Someone like Bill Murray for example who was one of the biggest comic actors around definitely is iconic for his role in Ghostbusters, but Lost in Translation is iconic for him as a more mature serious actor.

Leonardo DiCaprio could probably have something similar said about him.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think there are some actors who probably need to have two.

Someone like Bill Murray for example who was one of the biggest comic actors around definitely is iconic for his role in Ghostbusters, but Lost in Translation is iconic for him as a more mature serious actor.

Leonardo DiCaprio could probably have something similar said about him.

I understand the sentiment, but this thread is about roles that actors are most known for

More people associate Murray with Ghostbusters than they do with Lost In Translation

DiCaprio's most iconic role is easily Titanic. There's zero room for discussion on this one

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I understand the sentiment, but this thread is about roles that actors are most known for

More people associate Murray with Ghostbusters than they do with Lost In Translation

DiCaprio's most iconic role is easily Titanic. There's zero room for discussion on this one

I think there’s plenty of room for discussion.

I’m not sure that today when your average film fan thinks of these two actors they think ghostbusters and titanic. Maybe 20 years ago for titanic and 30 years ago for ghostbusters.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think there’s plenty of room for discussion.

I’m not sure that today when your average film fan thinks of these two actors they think ghostbusters and titanic. Maybe 20 years ago for titanic and 30 years ago for ghostbusters.

I know you're not, but that's okay. I'm sure enough for the both of us (referring to DiCaprio)

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
And? There were 8 years between those movies and American Psycho has synonymous with Christian Bale before The Dark Knight. Just because one movie made more money than the other doesn’t mean the actor isn’t immediately associated with it.

People think of movies they have watched. I have no doubt some people most associate Christian Bale with American Psycho but I would feel safe betting they are the clear minority.

Reactions: Neutrinos

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
People think of movies they have watched. I have no doubt some people most associate Christian Bale with American Psycho but I would feel safe betting they are the clear minority.
That’s an excellent point. I think a persons age will greatly affect their association as well. John Travolta, for example, is clearly associated with a Grease for me and my generation but when I asked my younger friends they all immediately thought of Pulp Fiction.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That’s an excellent point. I think a persons age will greatly affect their association as well. John Travolta, for example, is clearly associated with a Grease for me and my generation but when I asked my younger friends they all immediately thought of Pulp Fiction.

I'd say Saturday Night Fever for Travolta, and I'm 30. A person's age definitely plays a role in a topic like this though. I've noticed a trend among people younger than I am, that most won't go back and watch older movies or listen to older music. I'm not quite sure why that it or if it's something I'm imagining (I don't think so). Some actors, and even musicians, get a second life if they disappear and come back a while later. When that happens a lot of the younger crowd doesn't even know them from when they were first famous.

What's Robin Wright's? Winona Ryder? Ryan Reynolds? Matthew McConaughey? Neil Patrick Harris? Robert Downey Jr? etc., etc.

Everyone answer will largely depend upon when they were first introduced to each of them.

Reactions: frisco

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'd say Saturday Night Fever for Travolta, and I'm 30. A person's age definitely plays a role in a topic like this though. I've noticed a trend among people younger than I am, that most won't go back and watch older movies or listen to older music. I'm not quite sure why that it or if it's something I'm imagining (I don't think so). Some actors, and even musicians, get a second life if they disappear and come back a while later. When that happens a lot of the younger crowd doesn't even know them from when they were first famous.

What's Robin Wright's? Winona Ryder? Ryan Reynolds? Matthew McConaughey? Neil Patrick Harris? Robert Downey Jr? etc., etc.

Everyone answer will largely depend upon when they were first introduced to each of them.

Robin Wright
The Princess Bride or perhaps House Of Cards

Winona Ryder
Beetlejuice, Heathers, Edward Scissorhands, or Reality Bites

Ryan Reynolds
Deadpool

Matthew McConaughey
Dazed And Confused

Neil Patrick Harris
Doogie Howser or How I Met Your Mother

Robert Downey Jr
Ironman