OT: EA NHL 15 Player Ratings

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Given they essentially stripped everything but HUT from the game for next gen consoles ratings really don't matter because spending money on such a game seems crazy to me. The older consoles will be a roster update so again not sure why one would spend a lot of money on it.

By rights this should be an absolutely disastrous year sales wise for this game.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Given they essentially stripped everything but HUT from the game for next gen consoles ratings really don't matter because spending money on such a game seems crazy to me. The older consoles will be a roster update so again not sure why one would spend a lot of money on it.

By rights this should be an absolutely disastrous year sales wise for this game.

First one on next gen. Will sell like hot cakes.

I think they're going to patch EASHL in at some point.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

NHL09 PC was my last hockey game ive purchased...been updating rosters ever since...never looked back

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I wouldn't count on it selling. The EA All Access giving people a few hours of gameplay is resulting in the game being absolutely torched on message boards and many people cancelling pre-orders. This isn't the same step forward as the PS2/xbox --> PS3/360 versions were. They have also had an extra year to develop and it pales in comparison to what Fifa and Madden have done. For people's information this is what is not in the game for the next gen versions:

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-There are no offline seasons in HUT
-There are no tournaments in HUT
-You cannot play a friend in HUT
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-Being drafted is now just a random assignment to a team, no way to influence when you are drafted
-You cannot draft players in Be A GM Mode
-No farm system in Be A GM Mode (essentially Be A GM is season mode with trades..well if they had a season mode)
-No fantasy draft in Be A GM Mode
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone/very limited creation zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

They haven't said anything about patching in other modes. They've said that EASHL is important to them and they will be adding that in future iterations. They have specifically said they will be soliciting opinions from fans (even having a panel) to develop the game mode. I'd very much doubt it gets patched in based on the comments and if it does it'll be in the exact same form as the previous game. The same likely holds for all the other missing features, but again I fail to see a meaningful patch given they'd be adding 80% of the game back in with said patch.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I love seeing players like Quinten Howden and Casey Cizikas having high elite potential.

Why?

Exactly.

Edit: Ahaha, I also got a good laugh at Leafs fans with the second coming of William "Jesus" Nylander with a medium bottom 6 rating. Beautiful.

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

They never said anything about adding EASHL, they said they would try to patch in OTP later in the year (and not the regular OTP we're used to, more like a random drop-in OTP). And there's no guarantee of it.

Also, apparently navigating the menus is still extremely slow which is hysterical because EA devs said that the menus used to be slow because they pushed the old consoles (360/ps3) to the limit with all the stuff in the game, yet they took just about everything out (as pointed out in tantalum's post) and it's still very slow.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn't count on it selling. The EA All Access giving people a few hours of gameplay is resulting in the game being absolutely torched on message boards and many people cancelling pre-orders. This isn't the same step forward as the PS2/xbox --> PS3/360 versions were. They have also had an extra year to develop and it pales in comparison to what Fifa and Madden have done. For people's information this is what is not in the game for the next gen versions:

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-Being drafted is now just a random assignment to a team, no way to influence when you are drafted
-No farm system in Be A GM Mode (essentially Be A GM is season mode with trades..well if they had a season mode)
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

They haven't said anything about patching in other modes. They've said that EASHL is important to them and they will be adding that in future iterations. They have specifically said they will be soliciting opinions from fans (even having a panel) to develop the game mode. I'd very much doubt it gets patched in based on the comments and if it does it'll be in the exact same form as the previous game. The same likely holds for all the other missing features, but again I fail to see a meaningful patch given they'd be adding 80% of the game back in with said patch.

lol. I don't know what a bunch of those acronyms even mean. I can't bring myself to spend on on their garbage anymore and haven't for quite a few years now. But what does the game actually have still?

Sounds like this would've been a tremendous opportunity for another developer to step in and offer a real hockey game and break that stranglehold they've built up...if EA didn't have a completely ridiculous monopoly on NHL licensing rights. :shakehead

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

Seriously...?

I was so stoked with the demo, but after hearing this, I dunno anymore

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
yeah.... nothing is getting patched in. They have some plans to patch in a weird fake version of OTP that will use NHL players only, without a proper lobby.

They've already moved on to working on NHL 16. What you get on launch day is the game, there will probably be one patch only, if it's in keeping with previous years.

Don't buy it. Also they don't put any serious work into the ratings. Most people working there think it's hilarious that fans take the ratings seriously.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
yeah.... nothing is getting patched in. They have some plans to patch in a weird fake version of OTP that will use NHL players only, without a proper lobby.

They've already moved on to working on NHL 16. What you get on launch day is the game, there will probably be one patch only, if it's in keeping with previous years.

Don't buy it. Also they don't put any serious work into the ratings. Most people working there think it's hilarious that fans take the ratings seriously.

That's ridiculous. But they can get away with it.

Console still needs to get it's head out of it's butt and look at the "games as service" model they use in "free to play" on phones/tablets i.e. constant game updates, feature additions, bug fixes etc.

I realize there is a limited development budget for NHL compared to NFL and FIFA, but still. The whole thing is a shame.

I'm also in the industry. Applied for a position on the team which ironically specified updating rosters as the main duty. I was either too senior or too Australian. Bleh.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

So...what is still in the game?

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
If you really want to get the game I'd encourage you to wait a day or two and pick up one of the many used copies that will be available.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's ridiculous. But they can get away with it.

Console still needs to get it's head out of it's butt and look at the "games as service" model they use in "free to play" on phones/tablets i.e. constant game updates, feature additions, bug fixes etc.

I realize there is a limited development budget for NHL compared to NFL and FIFA, but still. The whole thing is a shame.

I'm also in the industry. Applied for a position on the team which ironically specified updating rosters as the main duty. I was either too senior or too Australian. Bleh.

The problem is, you're right. They can get away with putting out the same garbage every year and not really caring about the quality of their product at all...because there isn't any competition. The exclusivity of their licensing agreement pretty much gives them a license to churn out crap with no real repercussions. There is no competition, and there can't legally be any real competition.

It's the same nonsense that i think we're going to start seeing with the broadcasts themselves now that Rogers has been handed a monopoly on national broadcasting (and realistically they own most of the regional stuff as well).

The trend towards this sort of encouragement of monopolies with NHL related product is disgusting. The whole, "you don't like it, tough cookies" attitude toward fans is complete ********. The philosophy of preferring the cheque in hand now for licensing fees, outweighing the philosophy of actually providing the customer with a quality product that they love and will remain loyal to because they enjoy it.

Sad and kind of pathetic...but then, what is anyone going to do about it? Boycott the NHL? :laugh: Immensely frustrating though.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
A 85 rating seems perfect for Vrbata.
A bunch of Canucks seem overrated until you look how they did the ratings.

85 overall for Vrbata? Sure, until you notice that puts him on par with David Clarkson.

87 overall for Henrik? Little low, but okay, until you notice that that puts him on par with Valteri Filpulla and TYLER FREAKING BOZAK.

Henrik Sedin = Tyler Bozak? We should just trade the twins for Bozak and Clarkson; we'd save some cap and get younger in the process!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Every team and every player other than Crosby is overrated.

Sabres 85 overall lol

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Seriously...?

I was so stoked with the demo, but after hearing this, I dunno anymore

That's what is coming out from some that have the EA Access thing and have got to download and play the game for a few hours early. I personally haven't confirmed that is all the case but I haven't seen anything that says different yet either.

I also forgot to list something...in the Be A Pro that still exists you can no longer skip to the next shift. So you get to instead sit there watching the game for the 50 minutes you aren't on the ice.

As some on the forums have said...name a game mode and it isn't there. If it is it's completely stripped down. The forum on these boards has the thread appropriately titled "NHL 15- It's Not in the game".

Now reports are the gameplay and on ice looked is indeed improved but this is really the game you'd have expected to see last year at the next gen console launch not this far into it. So hope still exists for the next iterations of the game getting back to being great but who knows. They've done a tremendous job with Fifa the last few years....but my guess is they are much more likely to focus on the bigger sellers than the big sport wannabe.

It's easier to put down what is in the game:
-Stripped Down Be a GM (In todays day and age I'd say that it isn't so much stripped down but a complete farce)

-Unplayable Be a Pro

-HUT - with the exceptions listed in my previous list. btw for those that don't know HUT=Hockey Ultimate Team where you buy card decks and build a team. Put it up head to head against other players. Shockingly EA makes money on this mode and it is the one that made it into the game! Some prelim reports that the players you get are better if you use real money rather than the coins/pucks you earn in the game. Matchmaking is also apparently horrible.

-Online Versus

-Play Now

-practice mode (but only 1 v 1)

Here's the link to the original list (i made a couple of tweaks based on what I have read today).

http://www.operationsports.com/news/760010/nhl-15-might-be-missing-more-than-we-anticipated-xb1ps4/

And for fun:

For the 360/PS3 reports are it is exactly the same as NHL 14 with the only changes being menu music and the announcers. So it's NHL 14 with a roster update and new announcers.

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Just did the entire list:

:nucks

Organization Skaters:

D. Sedin - 88
H. Sedin - 87
D. Hamhuis - 88
N. Bonino - 85
C. Higgins - 85
A. Edler - 85
K. Bieksa - 85
R. Vrbata - 85
Z. Kassian - 84
A. Burrows - 84
L. Sbisa - 83 (Med Elite potential rofl)
S. Matthias - 83
B. Richardson - 83
C. Tanev - 82 (Med Top 6 D potential)
J. Hansen - 81
R. Stanton - 80 (High Top 4 D potential)
D. Dorsett - 80
N. Jensen - 79 (Med Top 6 potential, also of note, he has finally been listed at his actual size: 6'3 202lbs)
L. Vey - 79 (Med Bottom 6 potential)
D. Jeffrey - 79 (Med Bottom 6 potential)
F. Corrado - 78 (Med Top 4 D potential)
Y. Weber - 78
T. Sestito - 77
B. Sanguinetti - 77 (Low Top 6 D potential)
C. O'Reilly - 76
B. Horvat - 76 (Med Top 6 potential)
M. Zalewski - 75 (High Bottom 6 potential)
D. Archibald - 75 (High Bottom 6 potential)
R. Kenins - 74 (Med Top 6 AHL potential)
H. Shinkaruk - 74 (Med Top 6 potential)
K. Lain - 73 (Low Top 6 AHL potential)
B. Sweatt - 72 (Havent we lost his rights already)
P. Andersson - 72 (Med 7th D potential)
A. Grenier - 71 (Med Bottom 6 potential)
A. Rodin - 71 (Low Bottom 6 AHL potential - we should have lost his rights already as well)
B. Gaunce - 71 (Med Top 9 potential)
B. DeFazio - 71
A. Biega - 71
H. Tommernes - 70 (Med Top 4 AHL D potential)
J. McCann - 70 (Med Top 9 potential)
J. Virtanen - 70 (Med Top 6 potential)
D. Fox - 69 (High Bottom 6 potential)
A. Mallet - 69 (Low Bottom 6 AHL potential)
C. Cassels - 65 (Med Bottom 6 potential)
J. Subban - 63 (Med Top 6 D potential)
M. Stewart - 63 (Low Top 4 AHL D potential)
A. Cederholm - 62 (Med 7th D potential)
K. Pettit - 58 (Low Bottom 6 AHL potential)
M. Liberati - 57 (Low Top 4 AHL D potential)

Organization Goalies:

R. Miller - 89
E. Lack - 84 (Med NHL Starter potential)
J. Markstrom - 82 (Med NHL Starter potential)
J. Eriksson - 75 (Med NHL Starter potential)
J. Cannata - 68 (Med NHL Backup potential)

joustinboy123

Aug 2, 2013

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

I'm assuming we saw this on the same site, apparently its fake but I'm still pissed. At least they aren't taking anything out for 360/PS3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->