Speculation: E. Staal for any Captain swap

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
There a lot of great players in the NHL right now but only 30 are the official, on ice leaders of their team. Eric Staal has done a fantastic job as captain since taking over for Brind'amour in 2010. He has the skill, size, talent, and hockey sense to play in the top-3 on any team in the NHL.

That said let's enter an alternate reality where Eric requests a trade. In this reality the NHL offers the Hurricanes a special, one time deal: choose one captain from any team to swap with Eric Staal. Who would you like JR to pick in this situation and why?

I would choose Jonathon Toews. He is the second coming of Rod Brind'amour. Toews has the same no-nonsense manner and leadership-by-example mentality that B'a brought to the table. He has exceptional talent in the face-off circle and incredible awareness on the ice. The fact that he has yet to be nominated for the Selke trophy is an enormous oversight.

What does everyone else think?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Would want it to be a center, or stud defenseman.

Crosby, with his concussion history? Still a great, great player, but no thanks. Henrik Sedin, maybe, but would he be nearly as productive without his twin brother around?

Giroux, Toews and maybe Zetterberg. But none have the pure goal-scoring ability or physical presence that Eric Staal brings to the table.

Probably stick with Eric on this one.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Crosby. Seriously, the best player in the league. Signed for forever. Apart from using this as a chance to upgrade the D, what could possibly be the reason for choosing anybody else?

soverc

Andrew Ladd

Andrew Ladd, I would rather have him than Crosby, I do not like Crosby's perceived personality, altho he is skilled.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I would love Crosby, but he's only played 60 games total the last two years and his career could be ended with one big hit. That is more than a little scary, especially considering what he costs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->