Dynamo wants Ovechkin back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
As I understood it he was a free agent and signed with the Caps, or could have signed with any RSL team had he wanted to stay in the Russian league.

so Dynamo wouldn't have a leg to stand on in this case.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's a good try, but since Ovechkin signed a contract with a clear opt-out clause, and he opted out... not so much.

Look, the Caps won't get Semin back this year. They know this. They'll probably get him back for next year once his two years are up, though, and they might be able to get money from Gandler's NJ-based agency.

They can't touch Semin or Lada or the Russian hockey federation. They aren't fools and are well aware of that. They will probably focus on securing damages from Gandler as a middle man whose business interests and money are tied to North America. Gandler, they can hurt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Drake1588 said:
It's a good try, but since Ovechkin signed a contract with a clear opt-out clause, and he opted out... not so much.

the arbitrator ruled that the contract he signed with Omsk is void because Dynamo matched their offer without an opt-out clause

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Just as with Semin, possession is 9/10 of the law. Shrug. Perhaps you think he'll be jumping on a plane and forced back to Russia. The fact is that neither country is likely to take the rulings in the courts of the other country all that seriously. Gandler is the only one who has to worry about the rulings in the other's court, given the fact that his agency is incorporated in New Jersey.

GSC2k2*

go kim johnsson 514 said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=143913&hubname=

If Semin's contract is valid, as the US courts ruled, and the Russian arbitrator says Omsk's contract is not valid, but Dymano's is...

....wouldn't that mean Ovechkin is going back to Russia?

or can someone steer me right here
Did i miss something? Where was it found that Semin's contract was valid? Is this Semin reference relating to the current litigation or is it something from before?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
Did i miss something? Where was it found that Semin's contract was valid? Is this Semin reference relating to the current litigation or is it something from before?
No. I don't think you're missing anything. There has been no ruling on Semin's contract.

The last substantive update I've seen from the Caps lawsuit against Semin and Gandler was a TRO granted on Nov 4 and an upcomming hearing on a preliminary injunction set for this week.

From the other Semin/Gandler thread:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=185504

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/04/AR2005110401729.html

Capitals Get Order Limiting Semin Movement

--Excerpt--

The Associated Press
Friday, November 4, 2005; 8:28 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Capitals on Friday were granted a temporary restraining order against holdout Alexander Semin, preventing the Russian forward's representatives from negotiating contracts with any team other than Washington.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr. ruled that Semin, New Jersey-based agent Mark Gandler and Gandler's International Sports Advisors Company, Inc., are forbidden to make "any agreement, contract, trade, loan or other arrangement whereby Semin will play hockey games for any professional hockey team or organization other than the Washington Capitals" until a hearing is held on the team's lawsuit against the player.

A motion on the Capitals' request for a preliminary injunction against Semin will be held Nov. 23. Semin, Gandler and ISA have been given 10 days to respond to the Capitals' complaint.

--Excerpt--

Interestingly enough, the article contains a quote from McPhee, followed immediately by a quote voicing support by Bill Daly. Also, Commissioner Gary Bettman was in DC today and attended tonight's Capitals-Thrashers game at MCI Center. Might he have attended the hearing, one wonders? Bettman also voices support for the Caps in the article.

The original AP piece on the Wash Post's site is no longer accessable.

A quick Google shows no further developments that I can see.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russian Sport Express interview with Dinamo's General Director or somesuch reveals that Dinamo is not interested in money and will not accept compensation.

Their one and only goal is to bring Ovechkin back. "1 million would not contribute in the slightest significance to the budget of any RSL club" the guy said.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Slitty said:
Russian Sport Express interview with Dinamo's General Director or somesuch reveals that Dinamo is not interested in money and will not accept compensation.

Their one and only goal is to bring Ovechkin back. "1 million would not contribute in the slightest significance to the budget of any RSL club" the guy said.

Well, when you're worth ten trillion dollars and could simply buy the NHL as a whole and make it your farm league, what's another mil?

My biggest problem is, if you can't secure a kid's rights to play anywhere, at the time he's fourteen, just what can you do these days?

And, as usual, I stand to be corrected, but I understood a poster a couple of months ago to say that a kid signed a contract as a minor in order to ensure he had a future in hockey, and said contract beheld him to the club/league/state until he was twentysomething.

The poster said this was legit, because parents of Russian buds didn't have the money to play hockey, so they were essentially "adopted" by the state, or the oligarchs, who had them sign contracts saying that, in return for their "junior" years development, they were committing their rights to RSL-type clubs, who held their rights.

This seems different to me than someone, say, being drafted by an NHL team and deciding to play in Sweden. It would appear, to my simple eyes, that players in Russia are becoming indentured to teams before they are of the age to legally accept said indenture, and that this does not only hold true on restrictions for simply signing with another team, but for signing with any other league in the world.

You get drafted by the NHL, and you either sign with the team that picked you or you play somewhere else.

You are a hotshot 14-year old in Russia and you either sign with that team or you're toast, period. In return, you get training, etc, but you can't sign with another team anywhere, not just that Russian league.

What exactly are the laws over there surrounding minors signing legally-binding contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->