Dynamo St. Petersburg’s Timur Faizutdinov dies after being hit by puck

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP

After this incident — I have popped by ear guards back on.
I always wear a cage as well.

To me its still unclear if a full face shield or ear guard wouldve made a difference here, but even if it caught or nicked the puck to change its trajectory just a bit couldve possibly been life saving.

But it appears in the slow-mo he fully turned his head exposing the underside of his skull and the puck connected there. However, this was a reaction to not get hit in the face/mouth. If he did have a cage on, who knows, he may have been a little more fearless because he had the comfort knowing his face was protected.

Last edited:

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
A cage and or ear guards might have saved him, mainly because he wouldn't need to look away in the first place. Shit, there's even a neck guard that has a D30 insert to protect your throat from stick / puck impacts, not just skate slashes. Interceptor – Aegis Impact Protection

All this technology exists, but I don't think many professionals will be eligible for it, or choose to add protection if they could. Every week in the NHL someone takes a puck to the face (Taylor Hall lately) and I look at all the marks on my cage and realize: visor isn't enough protection for beer league. I like my teeth, Bauer Re-Akt cage has saved my face 12+ times over the last 7 years. I'll never take it off.

Reactions: LeifUK
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Always wore a cage for Ice and Roller from middle school until college when I stopped playing.

When I started to get into Floor Hockey back in 2016, I noticed nobody wore a helmet so I joined the crowd. Some of my notable moments after a three month session without it:

Ball took a crazy deflection off a slapshot from the blueline and hit me square in the forehead. Had a bruise that lasted two weeks.

Being hit, tripped from behind and hitting the side in my face on numerous occasions

this incident made me switch back into the cage: on a penalty kill situation I was high sticked in the lower lip that I need a minor stitch for.

Reactions: Rookie109

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad