Dynamics of the Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There are few things (actually more than a few but...) I don't understand about the cap.

How do minor league (AHL) contracts work? If you have a prospect who starts the season with a minor league affiliate and bring him up to the big club, how does that work? And the reverse I don't understand either, suppose you have a guy like Zach Parise, and lets say for arguement he earns a contract of 900K this season. What if after 20 games he sent down to Albany? How does the money work against the cap?

Another thing, is suppose a signed player who makes 2M gets hurt and only plays 40 games, is his cap hit only 1M, if he is on IR for 40 games?

You know, I really HATE this. I've been a sports fan all my life, and I have always made a point of trying not to pay attention to contracts and money. I persoanlly feel a fan shouldn't even hear of these things...I know that is naive, but I always long for a time that has past.

A bunch of 10 year old kids live in my neighborhood and even though I'm in my 30's I go out and play street hockey with the little kids in the neighborhood. It just seems sad to hear a 10 yearold talking about; "Cap room", collective bargin agreements, "Do you think we have enough money to sign Niedermayer", "Will the Devils buy anyone out?"

A 10 yearold shouldn't even know these words in my opinion, they should be imatating the Arnott goal against Dallas in the Finals.....Oh well.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Your question is two parts. Both parts boil down to ethics and values.

Contracts and Cap:

The economics of the game have forced the current CBA. The marketplace has overvalued the contributions of entertainment and the people who work within the industry are being forced to accept this lower valuation. For children, it is the lesson that by paying a premium for one item, they may be prevented from being able to obtain another. It is a lesson in economics, they may be able to afford the movie ticket but not the ticket and popcorn and drink. They should then go to the store and rent a DVD or tape and entertain themselves at home. This type of choice helps them make economic decisions when older. Helping them to believe that they can have everything is just teaching them greed. Granted, this is a lesson for older (>10 yrs old) children, but it is a much needed lesson in North America.

Children and play:
Taking the time to play with the young is just what is needed more. The goal that Jason Arnott scored so magically is wonderful and exciting. But is that all he does. (I don't know much about him, so I will use local examples). There is a player here who never runs out of time for youngsters. There is another player who babysits for his teammates. There is another who used to get tickets for a whole section of children. And, reaching back to the distant past when players were paid far less, there is a player now supported by the NHL who never made it big but is now working to setup hockey programs for inner city children.

As fans, we need to put far more value on these little (they're not so little) things with our children and for our children. The players are human as are we. The next time a co-worker goes out of his/her way for someone, bring that up with the kids, let them know what really matters. The next time one of these players has a magical goal or makes an outstanding save, let them see the whole picture. The player who helped Arnott get open, the player who cleared the lane so that the goalie could see the shot. Beyond cooperation and teamwork, let the children know that there is value far beyond the excitement and joy of a game by something that player might be doing in the community or at home.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
JimEIV said:
There are few things (actually more than a few but...) I don't understand about the cap.

How do minor league (AHL) contracts work? If you have a prospect who starts the season with a minor league affiliate and bring him up to the big club, how does that work? And the reverse I don't understand either, suppose you have a guy like Zach Parise, and lets say for arguement he earns a contract of 900K this season. What if after 20 games he sent down to Albany? How does the money work against the cap?

Another thing, is suppose a signed player who makes 2M gets hurt and only plays 40 games, is his cap hit only 1M, if he is on IR for 40 games?

Some of these answers we know, others we don't (but there has been speculation and rumor).

What we do know is IR players. A Player on IR still counts against the cap, but the team can bring in replacement player(s) up to the injured players salary and have the replacements not count against the cap. This is only for major injuries (10 games / 24 days minimum). For minor injuries, both the salaray of the injured player and any replacement both count.

Parise is surely on a 2-way contract (a much lower salary if he is sent down) - all ELS contracts are two-way. For AHL players on NHL (2-way) contracts, there was speculation that minor league salaries >$75K would count against the cap - this was to prevent teams from doing things like stashing CuJo and his $8M salary in the AHL. So if Parise is sent down, his NHL salary no longer counts against the cap, and his minor league salary may or may not.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
kdb209 said:
Some of these answers we know, others we don't (but there has been speculation and rumor).

What we do know is IR players. A Player on IR still counts against the cap, but the team can bring in replacement player(s) up to the injured players salary and have the replacements not count against the cap. This is only for major injuries (10 games / 24 days minimum). For minor injuries, both the salaray of the injured player and any replacement both count.

Parise is surely on a 2-way contract (a much lower salary if he is sent down) - all ELS contracts are two-way. For AHL players on NHL (2-way) contracts, there was speculation that minor league salaries >$75K would count against the cap - this was to prevent teams from doing things like stashing CuJo and his $8M salary in the AHL. So if Parise is sent down, his NHL salary no longer counts against the cap, and his minor league salary may or may not.

Thanks a lot......Do you know what happens to the replacement player? I mean if you have a 2M$ player out, and you bring in another 2M player, what happens when the orginal player is healed? IS player B still exempt?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
JimEIV said:
Thanks a lot......Do you know what happens to the replacement player? I mean if you have a 2M$ player out, and you bring in another 2M player, what happens when the orginal player is healed? IS player B still exempt?

Nope.

From the CBA FAQ:

CLUB PAYROLLS

What will be the range of Club payrolls?

The payroll range in Year One (2005-06) of the CBA will be $21.5 million (U.S.) at the lower limit and $39 million (U.S.) at the upper limit. A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad