Value of: Dylan Strome

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Understanding that most ARZ fans want to at least give Strome a few months here:

Daniel Sprong for Dylan Strome.

I'd prefer to hang onto Sprong since I think he has all the tools to become a regular 30+ goal scorer, but he's got an uphill battle with Kessel and Hornqvist also natural RWs and Sullivan's insistence on playing Rust exclusively at RW in spite of his ability to play both sides well.

Strome's lack of speed in a league that's getting faster by the year concerns me, but he'd have a little extra time to develop in PGH and less responsibility there than he'd have in ARZ. Bonino worked on the Pens even though he was a slow skater. Strome could slot in well at 3C if/when Brassard moves on next year.

Reactions: Mosby

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If there’s reasonable assurance he’ll never play again, then that would be a good candidate to give Arizona a draft pick to accept. Not sure the Oilers really need to do that though.
Sekeras injury has a good chance to bring down his performance level after he recovers, but it is not a career ending injury. He's on LTIR until he recovers. These other guys that AZ has taken on were never going to pass a physical again.

As for Strome, it does seem that AZ doesn't think as highly of him now. When they have Keller at C, and they added Chucky at C, and have said they want to play him there. They had Strome coming, but they opted to grab Hayton a C over Zadina and Hughes, you had to wonder, hey are they no longer as high on Strome? Can get taking a C over a winger, but if they were more confident on Strome being what they hoped when they drafted him, you'd think they would have added at another position like D and taken Q. Hughes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He played center at BU at times, but by the end of the year they moved him to the wing and he played the wing at the WJC.

Edit: For example, here is a game sheet from very early on in the season where he took 21 faceoffs.

GoTerriers.com | The Official Site of Boston University Athletics
NHL.com has Keller listed as a C. So, if he isn’t apologies for that. If Keller isn’t a C then makes sense to grab a C like Hayton regardless of what they think of strome.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
If he doesn't make the team out of camp and isn't able to hold down a roster spot in the NHL by Christmas I have to think he would be likely on the move.

Benning seems to like these late bloom or bust players and we need another right hand shot for our PP . I think we have the right group of players to help D. Strome find his footing in the league. As far as a trade goes I could see Juolevi being part of a 1 for 1 swap, but how our management seems to covet him and play the long game I wouldnt be surprised to see one of Dahlen or Goldobin + 3rd/4th to get a deal done.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Says who? I haven’t seen an indication that he won’t make the team. Where is this coming from? He’s playing in a game against the Canucks right at this minute.

He’s going to make the team by default because of injuries. Had there been no injuries, he’s likely looking at starting in Tucson.

He’s done nothing to warrant a roster spot. He’s been a shadow the whole preseason.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s going to make the team by default because of injuries. Had there been no injuries, he’s likely looking at starting in Tucson.

He’s done nothing to warrant a roster spot. He’s been a shadow the whole preseason.
I thought he was good tonight. :dunno:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->