Dylan Strome shedding the "bust" label

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
In ARI this year he personally was shooting 7.5%
In CHI this year he personally is shooting 18.2%

In ARI his On Ice Shooting % was 2.5%
In CHI his On Ice Shooting % is 13.7%

I gather he is neither the 24 pt a year player he was projecting for in ARI this year
Nor the 71 pt player his CHI numbers project to.

Right in the middle- 45 seems about right.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Lets just call this a win for Arizona and Chicago. Strome probably never would become what he's becoming in Arizona and Schmatlz seems to be doing well so far. The bust label was always going to be dangling over Strome's head just because of how loaded that draft was.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
That trade had disaster written all over it from day 1. The risk/reward just made no sense for Arizona and we're starting to see exactly why plus it's only going to get worse.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I seem him as an excellent number 2 centre behind Toews for the next few seasons, with the potential to dethrone him eventually.

Reactions: Rolo

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Arizona's never really been able to develop talent with a few exceptions and I wonder if they'll ever be able to

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find Arizona is better off just getting players that are already very much developed into the NHL or just being a contract graveyard. I'll respect the Coyotes once they get it together.

It scares me to think that they were tanking for McDavid and almost won.

Dylan Strome I see being in Chicago for many years with the potential to replace Toews as captain once the dynasty guys are gone. Makes me think Ryan Strome gets signed by Chicago in the future on a cheap contract.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Strome is a reminder that one should avoid calling a player a "bust" until at least 5 years after they were drafted. Sometimes it's more to do with how the team uses/develops the player rather then what the players capabilities are.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Arizona's never really been able to develop talent with a few exceptions and I wonder if they'll ever be able to

I can't imagine team training taking place at the local YMCA being very useful compared to the amount of money other teams are pumping into skills coaches and dedicated facilities.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
In ARI this year he personally was shooting 7.5%
In CHI this year he personally is shooting 18.2%

In ARI his On Ice Shooting % was 2.5%
In CHI his On Ice Shooting % is 13.7%

I gather he is neither the 24 pt a year player he was projecting for in ARI this year
Nor the 71 pt player his CHI numbers project to.

Right in the middle- 45 seems about right.

45 point player? Lol he’s a lot more then that. He tore up junior, tore up the AHL, now is putting up PPG numbers in the NHL. There’s nothing to indicate he’s only a 45 point guy. He’s more likely to be a 65-80 guy then anything.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I took the wife and kids to a family event in Phoenix and they had a huge tent with street hockey equipment for the kids to play with.

My wife turns to me and asks "what are the coyotes?" I tell here that they are the local ice hockey team and she says in surprise she didn't know we had a minor league hockey team in AZ.

lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not really. Unless one had the foresight that he was going to be traded. As long as he was in Arizona he was never going to break out.

Most players don’t make the NHL until the age of 22, and and Strome is still only 21.

Yes it was dumb, the only reason folks seemed to do so because he didn’t develop quite as quickly as some of the others in his draft year (an abnormally good draft class).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad