Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Way too early to think long term extension for Strome, who hasn’t even been doing this for half a season. I like what I see and feel confident he will be a very productive player, but I still go back to guys like Panik and even Schmaltz who showed big flashes but were not worthy of long term bigger money.
I think that's what most of us are saying. However, what do we offer if Strome hits 65-70 points NEXT year? What's fair value?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
We're way too premature in these discussions. Cat ... that's understandable. He's proven himself with or without Toews and Kane.
The only reason why we're talking about this is because Strome es en fuego, and we have no idea what next year will bring. Most of the discussion is about whether he's on a hot streak or this is who he is.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
People are glossing over the impact of JC on the team offense and PP. It’s had a major impact on eneryone’s point totals. Isn’t Kane scoring at 2 PPG pace over the last 25-30 games? Is it insane to think Kane might score 130 points or more either this or next year? Absolutely not.

Got to give credit where it is due, Colliton is getting more out of these guys than Q did and that’s going to influence their future contracts.

lol

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Cat and Strome can get new contracts for the 20-21 season signed this July, right?

No, they still have another year of their ELC if that is what you are asking. By rule of the CBA, the Hawks could start negotiating with them beginning this July.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The only reason why we're talking about this is because Strome es en fuego, and we have no idea what next year will bring. Most of the discussion is about whether he's on a hot streak or this is who he is.
The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. He wasn't the #3 pick overall for no reason. I guess we can compare him to Schmaltz ... but we can all see Strome is the better player. How much better is the question?

What was Schmaltz demanding before his struggles this year?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
They can sign their new contracts this July, but they don’t kick in until the start of the 20-21 season
which is why I am a bit scared with Strome- it totally favors him to sign early this off season because he can sign a deal prior to having to "show me" again next year. if Bowman wants to lock him up and Cat up early he is going to have to do some crystal ball reading and hope Strome can do it next year, but should stay on the safe side like I said. Give this kid a 3 year $3 mil deal and I am sure he will be happy as hell with it considering where he just was 3 months ago. Cat has proven more that he can do this, Strome still has questions to be answered. We need to keep Cat and Strome on as low of an AAV as we can if we truly want to turn this ship around quickly.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He outscored McDavid when they were playing on the same line during their draft year ffs. Strome had 129 and McDavid had 120.

I realize his OHL numbers don't really mean anything, but outscoring McDavid in juniors has to mean something, right? Especially when McDavid was Strome's linemate.

McDavid missed like 20+ games that year. He would've challenged the OHL scoring record had he been healthy. Probably not the best argument there.

Reactions: BK

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I'm just glad we have such a hottie to be our future 1C.

He is no Sharp! I turned to the NHL on NBC pregame last night and pointed out that Patrick Sharp was on it. Her quote, “wow, he’s adorable.” First and probably last time she ever watched anything hockey related with me on TV.

Reactions: Idionym

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
which is why I am a bit scared with Strome- it totally favors him to sign early this off season because he can sign a deal prior to having to "show me" again next year. if Bowman wants to lock him up and Cat up early he is going to have to do some crystal ball reading and hope Strome can do it next year, but should stay on the safe side like I said. Give this kid a 3 year $3 mil deal and I am sure he will be happy as hell with it considering where he just was 3 months ago. Cat has proven more that he can do this, Strome still has questions to be answered. We need to keep Cat and Strome on as low of an AAV as we can if we truly want to turn this ship around quickly.
while i wouldn't go so low on the 3 / 3 mil per yr. the problem is i am guilty of advocating for an earlier extension .... the point in my post that is wrong is what you point out, what is there to have the player in the mode of "show me" stat.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The thing about Strome is that no one saw this coming. Not a single person.

Arizona sure didn't. They called him an expiring asset. Bowman didn't. The trade was made mostly because he and Schmaltz were WAY apart on a deal and it seemed unlikely one could be reached.

So things will have to play out. It'll be interesting to watch how this unfolds.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
He is no Sharp! I turned to the NHL on NBC pregame last night and pointed out that Patrick Sharp was on it. Her quote, “wow, he’s adorable.” First and probably last time she ever watched anything hockey related with me on TV.

Am I crazy or does Strome look Skeet Ulrich?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would too, but I don't discount the idea that Bowman stole a special player from AZ, and nobody here should either. If you watch Strome's line play he's driving it. That means more to me as a watcher of the game than anything. Strome makes Gato and especially Kahun better. It is obvious.
i will admit i was totally wrong on Stome and yes b/c of his stats and where he was drafted.... so that bad is on me. i fully accept that.

however i like think no one on this board expected this kind of success from Stome. this makes me want to have next season start faster.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
hockey15 006.JPG I am an Erie Otter's fan, and here is a pic from 2015 at the player's banquet. I think that you will recognize most of the players. All of them are good kids. We had a pretty good team that year.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
I’d love to get Strome and Cat signed to deals this offseason. But how often do RFAs actually sign deals a year before they’re contracts are up?

Rarely but these two are extreme BFF's. As Conor McDavid said, these guys love each other off the ice. If they want to continue their BFF ways and play with one another each side has to know they will have to take team cap friendly deals to make it happen.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
How about we don't sign overpriced free agents and try to keep our young stars

Uhhh, Stan has always made it a priority to keep their own....it's just that Stan has a history of bidding against himself and overpaying. Kruger got 3 years, 9.25 million extension courtesy of Stan, Bickell got rewarded with a 4 year, 16 million dollar deal for playing Hot for 2 weeks when he was invisible the rest of his stay in a Hawks sweater, Patrick Sharpe with a 5 year 29.5 million extension, and we all know about Seabrook's deal, etc. etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->