Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn’t want him around for that price. He’s just not a guy you’re going to win with.... spend it elsewhere.
Nah that's affordable.

2.5M spent elsewhere probably isn't gonna get you anything better.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I’d rather replace Strome with an ELC and use that extra 1.5 to keep Saad.

Yep, if Suter can come in and play 3C... Strome should be moved while he still has solid value.

and I say that coming off of his best game in a long time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't really get the hate with Strome. He has played fine this post season, IMO. Has he been great? No. Has he been a complete dud that should be a healthy scratch, heck no.

He should probably have 4 or 5 goals at this point with the posts he has hit. Guy has a pretty good shot, makes good plays. It's up to the coaches to teach him the other side of the puck, and get the most out of him. I don't want to give up on him, he can be a decent 3rd line C for this club, at least.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't really get the hate with Strome. He has played fine this post season, IMO. Has he been great? No. Has he been a complete dud that should be a healthy scratch, heck no.

He should probably have 4 or 5 goals at this point with the posts he has hit. Guy has a pretty good shot, makes good plays. It's up to the coaches to teach him the other side of the puck, and get the most out of him. I don't want to give up on him, he can be a decent 3rd line C for this club, at least.
His skating drives everyone nuts.

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It's not near as bad as everyone claims it is either.

Here he has Kyle Connor chasing him, and he can't catch him. Is Strome fast? Of course not, but he isn't the slowest player in the league, that gets thrown around on here a lot.

Good lord that was generational.

I miss the old Strome, before the Hawks broke his skating.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Nah that's affordable.

2.5M spent elsewhere probably isn't gonna get you anything better.

It could get you a third line center that you don’t need to shelter, and who will act like playoff hockey is played with intensity. Cousins isn’t better than Strome, but he has been more effective than Strome in the playoffs.

Talent doesn’t mean everything, especially when there’s zero heart to go with it.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Can he learn some defensive responsibility and learn that he’s a relatively large player and that he can use his size to his advantage? If so, then I agree.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Can he learn some defensive responsibility and learn that he’s a relatively large player and that he can use his size to his advantage? If so, then I agree.
He's not going to become a physical player, but I don't see why he can't be taught, and learn to play better defensive hockey. He doesn't need to be a defensive C though, not every 3rd line C is amazing defensively.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's not going to become a physical player, but I don't see why he can't be taught, and learn to play better defensive hockey. He doesn't need to be a defensive C though, not every 3rd line C is amazing defensively.

Maybe not every 3C is amazing defensively, but how many are liabilities and need to be sheltered?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
It's not near as bad as everyone claims it is either.

Here he has Kyle Connor chasing him, and he can't catch him. Is Strome fast? Of course not, but he isn't the slowest player in the league, that gets thrown around on here a lot.

Nice example of straight line speed with a head start from a glide. Now imagine this if they both were stopped on the red line and raced to the opposing red line. How bad do you think Strome gets beat? That’s what people have a problem with.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He'd be fine as a 3rd center if the team has great depth at wingers and talent. Having a 4th line that can't score much but matches up.

But they don't have that. I think just tender his RFA deal and move ahead. Not fearing some team really making a 2nd round offer anyway

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He'd be fine as a 3rd center if the team has great depth at wingers and talent. Having a 4th line that can't score much but matches up.

But they don't have that. I think just tender his RFA deal and move ahead. Not fearing some team really making a 2nd round offer anyway
And if they do that you let him walk and take your 2nd round pick.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nice example of straight line speed with a head start from a glide. Now imagine this if they both were stopped on the red line and raced to the opposing red line. How bad do you think Strome gets beat? That’s what people have a problem with.
He probably would, but Connor is a pretty good skater. Doesnt change the fact that he isnt as bad as people say he is on here.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I honestly don't know who's available that the Hawks can acquire to better fit their needs at 2 way forward. If they have to lose Saad that makes the Hawks 2 way forward situation pretty dire.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

With his lack of speed and terrible edge work and agility I don’t see how you can coach him to be much better defensively. It takes him too long to get to all the spots he needs to be in.

Reactions: UsernameWasTaken

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
With his lack of speed and terrible edge work and agility I don’t see how you can coach him to be much better defensively. It takes him too long to get to all the spots he needs to be in.
I mean, guys like Pat Maroon are effective defensively, and I'd say Strome is a better skater than him. So not true at all.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I mean, guys like Pat Maroon are effective defensively, and I'd say Strome is a better skater than him. So not true at all.

I haven’t watched Maroon much since he was on the Ducks but compared to Strome I remember him being able to change directions and start from a stop much quicker than Strome can.

And setting the bar for Strome to hopefully become as effective as Maroon defensively is hilariously pathetic.

But really at the end of the day Strome doesn’t want it enough to ever become even average on defense.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Strome is better than the guy he was traded for in every aspect of the game except skating and defense, and Strome's skating deficiencies are related to his defensive ones.

Sadly, if it wasn't for the skating issues Strome wouldn't have been available in the first place.

Reactions: UsernameWasTaken

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Him and Debrincat had poor years (At least Strome had ankle injury excuse as those are bitch to recover from)

Some people for some odd reason have demonized them and want them traded further tanking this team into gutter. Its odd and I dont understand it

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Him and Debrincat had poor years (At least Strome had ankle injury excuse as those are bitch to recover from)

Some people for some odd reason have demonized them and want them trade further tanking this team into gutter. Its odd and I dont understand it
They're not worth what they're about to get paid and their flaws have been exposed during the playoffs.

They're complementary pieces, but not building blocks. They should be paid as such. Stan already made the mistake of paying Cat as a building block when he shouldn't have. Both are good players, but I question whether you can win with them being major contributors.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They're not worth what they're about to get paid and their flaws are exposed during the playoffs.

Yet your defending Nylander in another thread

What is this flaw your seeing? Also its first playoff experience for both of them

By your standard would Hammer , Ladd , Brouwer , etc performance in 09 show they are not playoff caliber players with too many flaws? Seriously imagine if people threw away Hammer because he was meh at times in 09 or said this Andrew Ladd guy is worthless dump him in summer

Reactions: ColbyChaos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->