Dylan "Stromboli" Strome Appreciation Thread 4

Will this thread be shutdown?

• Total voters

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don’t get Strome. The hawks have a bunch of hard workers this year that are probably playing above their experience level and he is the exact opposite.

I get he is below average in speed, but I can count on one hand where he has checked and won a puck battle. He has so much skill that even if he put in a little bit of grind he would be an excellent center is the league.

what’s wrong with the guy

He’s just happy to be here, mission already accomplished

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
I don’t get Strome. The hawks have a bunch of hard workers this year that are probably playing above their experience level and he is the exact opposite.

I get he is below average in speed, but I can count on one hand where he has checked and won a puck battle. He has so much skill that even if he put in a little bit of grind he would be an excellent center is the league.

Maybe he's depressed. I honestly can't imagine that his struggles have to do with effort and/or skill alone.

Reactions: Fortyfives

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

He's actually not below average in speed when he tries, that's the thing. In terms of edgework/agility/acceleration? Maybe a little. There's a noticeable difference from Strome when he tries and when he doesn't. When Strome tries he looks like he can be a borderline 1st line center.....when he floats he looks like he's not an NHL player. He came here in 2018 and tried all of that season. He tried to begin last season. Then he got injured, they put him at wing and took Cat and Kane away from him, so now he's clearly pouting. The huge issue is that he sees himself as a 1st line center, 3rd overall pick in a great draft talent-wise and while he's a good player at full effort, he's not a superstar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortyfives

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
A81913B5-F9BB-49F5-9D7C-3793056F3511.jpeg

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Honestly, if Toews and Dach are healthy, is Strome even a Blackhawk? Or is he traded by now?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Honestly, if Toews and Dach are healthy, is Strome even a Blackhawk? Or is he traded by now?

Does Kurashev or Suter project as a long term top 9 C or are they better playing on the wing? That's a big consideration when Dach and Toews come back, doesn't seem like anyone in the league is ready to give up a premium asset for Strome via trade

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Does Kurashev or Suter project as a long term top 9 C or are they better playing on the wing? That's a big consideration when Dach and Toews come back, doesn't seem like anyone in the league is ready to give up a premium asset for Strome via trade

Yeah, I guess it depends on whether we're still pretending that scratching and clawing to get into the playoffs just to be curb-stomped is a worthy goal, or if we're ready to part with roster players for futures.

If you need a premium asset to trade Strome, you're never trading Strome. Cause nobody is giving up a premium asset for Strome.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah, I guess it depends on whether we're still pretending that scratching and clawing to get into the playoffs just to be curb-stomped is a worthy goal, or if we're ready to part with roster players for futures.

If you need a premium asset to trade Strome, you're never trading Strome. Cause nobody is giving up a premium asset for Strome.

So is Strome worth more to this team than the hypothetical non-premium asset you suspect he would fetch in a trade? When I say premium asset I mean at least a 2nd, premium probably wasn't the right word, its all relative to the player you're parting with in the trade, a 3rd probably isn't enough for Strome...Despite his flaws he's still young and a solid 3C on a good team, if Suter and Kurashev stay at the wing then you can play them on the Toews or Kane line and put Strome at 3C with two hard working wingers that force him to play a simple game and he's probably worth more than a middle round pick

something like

Kurashev-Toews-Kubalik
DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Suter-Strome-Hagel
Nylander-Kampf-Carpenter

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So is Strome worth more to this team than the hypothetical non-premium asset you suspect he would fetch in a trade? When I say premium asset I mean at least a 2nd, premium probably wasn't the right word, its all relative to the player you're parting with in the trade, a 3rd probably isn't enough for Strome...Despite his flaws he's still young and a solid 3C on a good team, if Suter and Kurashev stay at the wing then you can play them on the Toews or Kane line and put Strome at 3C with two hard working wingers that force him to play a simple game and he's probably worth more than a middle round pick

something like

Kurashev-Toews-Kubalik
DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Suter-Strome-Hagel
Nylander-Kampf-Carpenter
He's too much of a liability to play C when he's not trying. When he tries, he's actually average defensively, as the fancy stats said after he was traded to the Hawks through early January 2020.

You have to get him to give a shit or else forget it. It's probably best to move on now and salvage what value you can rather than counting on him to suddenly give a shit.

My opinion: see if you could move him to Edmonton for Puljujarvi because I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing wing if he's leeching off McDrai. Hawks need right shots anyway.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Kubalik also bounced him off the 1st PP unit late in that game.

JC is not amused.
Strome just needs to quit being a whiny bitch and play like he did during his first 98 games with the Hawks.

First 98 games with the Hawks: 81 pts (68 pts/82)

Last 35 games: 16 pts (37 pts/82)

The question is: Which guy is the real Dylan Strome? If you think it's the guy from the last 35 games, bail while people still think the guy from the first 98 games exists.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Strome just needs to quit being a whiny bitch and play like he did during his first 98 games with the Hawks.

First 98 games with the Hawks: 81 pts (68 pts/82)

Last 35 games: 16 pts (37 pts/82)

The question is: Which guy is the real Dylan Strome? If you think it's the guy from the last 35 games, bail while people still think the guy from the first 98 games exists.

Honest opinion? I think he's lazy, and his conditioning is absolute dog shit. It's why you see him look great at times, and abysmal the rest. He seems to be perpetually gassed.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Honest opinion? I think he's lazy, and his conditioning is absolute dog shit. It's why you see him look great at times, and abysmal the rest. He seems to be perpetually gassed.
Also could explain why he looks like he has average skating at times and others he looks like he's skating in mud. If he was conditioned properly, skated at an average level consistently, and had any sort of compete he'd probably be a star, but he's too dumb to realize that. It's really easy to see what Arizona was thinking taking him 3rd overall in 2015, even in that draft. You can't fix Tin Man syndrome though. I guess the production in juniors blinded the Coyotes to the apparent makeup issues.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
It took me a really long time to get this. I won't spoil it for anyone else.
Ya have to know what the tin man lacked in the Wizard of Oz ... a movie from a fair while ago so all the young'ns may not have ever seen it.
He could also be said to have something in common with the C______ly Lion!

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hawks have a skating coach, right? Strome will never be quick or fleet of foot but he can definitely be taught to improve his edges.

IMO, his poor edges and his lack of compete are his nemeses.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hawks have a skating coach, right? Strome will never be quick or fleet of foot but he can definitely be taught to improve his edges.

IMO, his poor edges and his lack of compete are his nemeses.

His stride is fundamentally flawed. They tried to fix it last season, if you recall. It didn't work out very well. His biggest issue isn't his skating. It's his compete and, IMO, his conditioning. I don't think he trains much. He's flabby like a junior high kid, at a point when he should be almost solid muscle.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
If I had to guess... I think Strome was always so much more god damn skilled than everyone else that he never really HAD to put the work in like his peers and diddnt. Once you get to the nhl and your not way more skilled than everyone and everyone is working harder than you... you’re stuck playing catch up.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
His stride is fundamentally flawed. They tried to fix it last season, if you recall. It didn't work out very well. His biggest issue isn't his skating. It's his compete and, IMO, his conditioning. I don't think he trains much. He's flabby like a junior high kid, at a point when he should be almost solid muscle.

Kind of why I find his upside intriuiging because he's a 45-50 point center with suspect conditioning and a lanky frame that isn't up to snuff for the NHL, but what if he ever improves that and how can he not be anything other than a really good 2C at worst...but at some point maybe this is just what he's going to be for the duration of his career, a decent 3c with bad conditioning/skating and its time to give someone else an opportunity if they feel they cannot win games that matter with him

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->