Dylan "Stromboli" Strome Appreciation Thread 4

Will this thread be shutdown?

• Total voters

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
way too early to jump ship on ian, or beaudin for that matter
I don't disagree, but I don't think he deserved to win the title of best prospect here last year, either.

He's a defenseman, who at age 22, got a few cups of coffee in the toughest league in the world. He's not garbage, but he isn't as good as what Musto has hyped him up as. Not yet, at least.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That probably will be the case. It wouldn't surprise me if he has less value than Sam Bennett.

Messing around in cap friendly with a roster with Drouin on it and it probably makes the team better, it gives them a potential asset that they can generate a nicer return on than Strome in most cases, but they have such a logjam of forwards right now that idk if they even go that route in a Strome deal, maybe they move Strome in a deal that includes a bad contract coming back to the Hawks that will increase the return coming back such as a higher pick, who knows but they have too many borderline middle 6 or bust players right now and its hard to tell what direction they go in with some of them (Nylander, Gaudette (do they qualify him), Borgstrom etc

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Messing around in cap friendly with a roster with Drouin on it and it probably makes the team better, it gives them a potential asset that they can generate a nicer return on than Strome in most cases, but they have such a logjam of forwards right now that idk if they even go that route in a Strome deal, maybe they move Strome in a deal that includes a bad contract coming back to the Hawks that will increase the return coming back such as a higher pick, who knows but they have too many borderline middle 6 or bust players right now and its hard to tell what direction they go in with some of them (Nylander, Gaudette (do they qualify him), Borgstrom etc
Alex Nylander as a ton of talent if he ever puts it together. Top line player isn't impossible, though it may be unlikely at this point.

I think if they expose Strome he's a no-brainer from Seattle's perspective.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Alex Nylander as a ton of talent if he ever puts it together. Top line player isn't impossible, though it may be unlikely at this point.

I think if they expose Strome he's a no-brainer from Seattle's perspective.

Why expose Strome and lose him for free...of course he is a no brainer for Seattle, he's a young player with 1 year left that could be given top line minutes and flipped at the deadline or extended for a reasonable cost, the goal is to make Seattle make a bad decision not a good one, let them pick between some fourth liners or De Haan/Zadorov, the latter two are the contracts we would like to lose, more so De Haan, Zadorov probably has trade value

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This is why you people can't be listening to Musto. Dude was wrong on Dylan, dude's been wrong on Ian.

I don't want to see another Khusnutdinov situation where he hypes a guy in the draft and everyone else falls in line. Need to learn not to buy into his whatever he's selling.
KBIB- The Hawks will draft Askarov if he's there

Musto- No they won't

Hawks Youtube draft series- Hawks track Askarov the entire draft and let the other GM's know that's who they wanted to the point they are getting text messages to see if they want to move up.

Stan and Kelly- "Askarov can go between pick 2 and 11"

KBIB- Askarov is the second best player in the draft

Gold. Gold I tell ya

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Why expose Strome and lose him for free...of course he is a no brainer for Seattle, he's a young player with 1 year left that could be given top line minutes and flipped at the deadline or extended for a reasonable cost, the goal is to make Seattle make a bad decision not a good one, let them pick between some fourth liners or De Haan/Zadorov, the latter two are the contracts we would like to lose, more so De Haan, Zadorov probably has trade value
if it were up to me, I'd move on from Murphy and Zadorov this summer and sign some vets on 1 year deals that fill a similar role for cheaper.

I've always liked Murphy but I think the Hawks missed their chance to get a haul for him. At some point the kids have to sink or swim. Time to find out which ones have the goods and which ones don't.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
if it were up to me, I'd move on from Murphy and Zadorov this summer and sign some vets on 1 year deals that fill a similar role for cheaper.

Murphy is interesting because he should have real trade value to a contender and he's a RHD which are always in need, he plays a style of hockey that could be appealing to teams looking to go deep in the playoffs, Zadorov they need to flip for a pick and move on from him, Toront and Boston come to mind as fits for both players, not opposed to moving Murphy if its a nice return and nets them another 1st in the draft, they need to clear space to see what they have in their young defensemen

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Murphy is interesting because he should have real trade value to a contender and he's a RHD which are always in need, he plays a style of hockey that could be appealing to teams looking to go deep in the playoffs, Zadorov they need to flip for a pick and move on from him, Toront and Boston come to mind as fits for both players, not opposed to moving Murphy if its a nice return and nets them another 1st in the draft, they need to clear space to see what they have in their young defensemen
Like literally, Gudbranson and Oleksiak could fill the role of Murphy and Zadorov for much cheaper than they're going to cost. (Yes, I know Gudbranson sucks but it gives whoever the coach is carte blanche to scratch him for a kid when necessary)

Neither guy is as good as Murphy and Zadorov but I think that those two are more valuable to a contender than they are to the Hawks.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Should we start bringing up everyone's bad takes now?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

What I don't get is why the different standards for Mitchell compared to Dach, Boqvist and Beaudin (or everyone's favorite take Jokiharju?)

We should all patient with those guys but yo, no Mitchell's 'fall off' is definite. It's annoying. I don't know if you guys noticed but he's still ahead of Beaudin on the depth chart.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Haha idk man. They both suck.

I would rather they go after some sort of reclamation project than a complete nothing there type player with Gudbranson...Someone that is way down the depth chart on a good team that isn't getting an opportunity and could show something here because the Hawks can give them the opportunity they need to develop...We should be acquiring as many of these kind of assets as possible because if the scouting is good then presumably there will be a few that stick around

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I would rather they go after some sort of reclamation project than a complete nothing there type player with Gudbranson...Someone that is way down the depth chart on a good team that isn't getting an opportunity and could show something here because the Hawks can give them the opportunity they need to develop...
Well they had their chance with Haydn Fleury, but messed that one up.

If it was up to me, I'd trade Murphy and Zadorov, and sign Hamilton and Oleksiak to take their place.

Hamilton gives the Hawks a legit top pairing D which they need badly.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Hypocrisy at its finest.

What I don't get is why the different standards for Mitchell compared to Dach, Boqvist and Beaudin (or everyone's favorite take Jokiharju?)

We should all patient with those guys but yo, no Mitchell's 'fall off' is definite. It's annoying. I don't know if you guys noticed but he's still ahead of Beaudin on the depth chart.

I don't think anyone is actually serious with the Mitchell stuff, or at least I'd hope not.

Musto pumped him up so hard and made it seem like a surefire top-four guy from day one. People like ripping Musto for his over-the-top takes.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Mitchell was ruined by JC.

Mitchell/Keith was fun to watch. When JC took DK away, Mitchell lost everything and the chances of him getting it back are slim on account of DK has hit the decliner.

Mitchell's potential was always a bottom pairing guy. Anybody who thought more was kidding themselves.

Boqvist has top four potential, but is also one of the most sheltered defenseman in the league. He's the new Gus without the goal scoring.

The Hawks need to hit a home run in this upcoming draft and snag an actual potential top pairing defenseman.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Musto has made 4 appreciation threads for Dylan Strome. It is not a one off mistake.

And Dach gets more leeway than Mitchell because he's younger, done more in this league, and was a 3rd overall pick (compared to a 2nd rounder). It's too early to write off Ian, but he is not any where near Dach's level, not yet.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Musto has made 4 appreciation threads for Dylan Strome. It is not a one off mistake.

And Dach gets more leeway than Mitchell because he's younger, done more in this league, and was a 3rd overall pick (compared to a 2nd rounder). It's too early to write off Ian, but he is not any where near Dach's level, not yet.

He's not anywhere near where Musto claimed he'd be. That's the only issue.

That doesn't mean he's a bust, but means Musto was overhyping again.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Whatever happened to the Russian that one guy was tire pumping last year?

You know, the one he was saying was Datsyuk reincarnated? Was he even taken in the first round?

Did I mention I said all along the Hawks were taking Askarov if he fell to them? I can post proof on that, ya know.....

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
My point exactly.

I'm happy he's our asset, but he's nowhere near the guy Musto claimed him to be. At least not currently.
He'll get there. There's obviously been an adjustment period for him with the schedule.

The bigger issue is how they've handled him. He should have been paired with Keith all year. He should have had consistent PP time. And he absolutely should never have been sent to Rockford.

With all these problems, we didn't get to see the Ian Mitchell that we should have.

But we will. Y'all can keep giving me shit if you want, but Ian will get there. Don't give up on him just because the situation he was put in wasn't optimal.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He'll get there. There's obviously been an adjustment period for him with the schedule.

The bigger issue is how they've handled him. He should have been paired with Keith all year. He should have had consistent PP time. And he absolutely should never have been sent to Rockford.

With all these problems, we didn't get to see the Ian Mitchell that we should have.

But we will. Y'all can keep giving me shit if you want, but Ian will get there. Don't give up on him just because the situation he was put in wasn't optimal.
Didn't you say that Mitchell would be better than Boqvist is this year? The guy didn't look as good as Boqvist did last year.

I hope he'll prove you right. But he hasn't so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad