Player Discussion: dylan samberg

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes that is a lot. I'm making no attempt at going into it in that depth. Points aren't everything but they are the single most important thing.

Everything you have said about him seems to assume that he has always played on the top line in Edmonton. That just isn't so. He has spent a lot of time on the 2nd and 3rd lines. He has not always played with either Leon or McDavid. They were not even with the Oilers for much of his career. He played with one or the other for much of the last 2 years - and he was very productive. No surprise, he should be with those linemates.

No, I don't think I said I expected more than his avg production. A 60 pt 2C would be a nice improvement over what we have had and have now. 60 pts is good for a 2C. It is not great. The great 2C's score ppg or better.

No, I don't think I ever said he was better than Huberdeau or Couturier either. In fact I know for certain I never said that. He has scored 6 more pts than Huberdeau, in 68 more games. That doesn't look like better. He has scored 41 more pts than Couturier in 43 fewer games. That looks good but Couturier was used in a defensive role until the last 3 years. He has scored very well in a more offensive role and is outstanding defensively so I wouldn't say that RNH is better than him either.

A 60 pt 2C costs a lot. Kesler cost Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st. Johansen cost Seth Jones. Its tough to say what RNH might cost on his next contract without knowing what NHL finances are going to look like. But going by current standards, I would guess it would be at least 7 mil, maybe 7.5. And it could be more if he went to market. I think his ask will be inflated because he has been overpaid for several years and will want a raise. None of which has anything to do with him being a bad player. He is not garbage, he is not bad. He is a disappointing 1st OA and was given too high a 2nd contract, apparently just because that is what Oilers automatically gave their 1st rd picks. At least until Yak.

With a 1st OA pick you are expecting an above avg 1C. He never achieved that. He is an avg to slightly above avg 2C. Which is better than we have had.
Bonino is a 3c sbisa is a waiver fodder we just got him from there how high was the 1st?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes that is a lot. I'm making no attempt at going into it in that depth. Points aren't everything but they are the single most important thing.

Everything you have said about him seems to assume that he has always played on the top line in Edmonton. That just isn't so. He has spent a lot of time on the 2nd and 3rd lines. He has not always played with either Leon or McDavid. They were not even with the Oilers for much of his career. He played with one or the other for much of the last 2 years - and he was very productive. No surprise, he should be with those linemates.

No, I don't think I said I expected more than his avg production. A 60 pt 2C would be a nice improvement over what we have had and have now. 60 pts is good for a 2C. It is not great. The great 2C's score ppg or better.

No, I don't think I ever said he was better than Huberdeau or Couturier either. In fact I know for certain I never said that. He has scored 6 more pts than Huberdeau, in 68 more games. That doesn't look like better. He has scored 41 more pts than Couturier in 43 fewer games. That looks good but Couturier was used in a defensive role until the last 3 years. He has scored very well in a more offensive role and is outstanding defensively so I wouldn't say that RNH is better than him either.

A 60 pt 2C costs a lot. Kesler cost Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st. Johansen cost Seth Jones. Its tough to say what RNH might cost on his next contract without knowing what NHL finances are going to look like. But going by current standards, I would guess it would be at least 7 mil, maybe 7.5. And it could be more if he went to market. I think his ask will be inflated because he has been overpaid for several years and will want a raise. None of which has anything to do with him being a bad player. He is not garbage, he is not bad. He is a disappointing 1st OA and was given too high a 2nd contract, apparently just because that is what Oilers automatically gave their 1st rd picks. At least until Yak.

With a 1st OA pick you are expecting an above avg 1C. He never achieved that. He is an avg to slightly above avg 2C. Which is better than we have had.
Bonino is a 3c sbisa is a waiver fodder we just got him from there how high was the 1st? They must have thought Johansen was a 1c goin in we don’t have those delusions going in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bonino is a 3c sbisa is a waiver fodder we just got him from there how high was the 1st?

Bonino was one of the best 3C's in the league at that time. He was just coming off a 22 G, 49 pt season. Sbisa was a 2nd pairing Dman at that time. The 1st was 24th OA.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So Lowry pionk and a 24th pick.

You need to consider these players as they were at that time, not as you see them now. When has Lowry ever scored 22 goals in a season? As it happens, Bonino was coming off his highest scoring season - but that certainly influenced his trade value. It was much higher than Lowry's value has ever been.

Tough to make an equivalent proposal from our roster. I think Pionk is better than what Sbisa was at that time. More like Sbisa would have been a #4 and Pionk a #3. And we don't have an equivalent to Bonino. So Lowry, Pionk + 24 OA may not be far off. If only Lowry scored 10-15 pts per season more than he does it would be very close.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You need to consider these players as they were at that time, not as you see them now. When has Lowry ever scored 22 goals in a season? As it happens, Bonino was coming off his highest scoring season - but that certainly influenced his trade value. It was much higher than Lowry's value has ever been.

Tough to make an equivalent proposal from our roster. I think Pionk is better than what Sbisa was at that time. More like Sbisa would have been a #4 and Pionk a #3. And we don't have an equivalent to Bonino. So Lowry, Pionk + 24 OA may not be far off. If only Lowry scored 10-15 pts per season more than he does it would be very close.
So the difference between Bonino is made up with Pionk being better. Or replace Lowry with Copp. We would also be trading a much higher pick.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So the difference between Bonino is made up with Pionk being better. Or replace Lowry with Copp. We would also be trading a much higher pick.

Just my opinion but I think we could get a 2C with our pick + Lowry, and maybe another add that is not too high. But the trick is to find someone willing who has a suitable C. That leads to TBL and Cirelli.

Reactions: BatVader

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Just my opinion but I think we could get a 2C with our pick + Lowry, and maybe another add that is not too high. But the trick is to find someone willing who has a suitable C. That leads to TBL and Cirelli.
I would love it if we were a team like Boston who’s window has always been open by drafting well and smart coaching and management. If we could use our pick to draft a center who would be ready in a season or two and bring back Eakins for one season that would be amazing.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would love it if we were a team like Boston who’s window has always been open by drafting well and smart coaching and management. If we could use our pick to draft a center who would be ready in a season or two and bring back Eakins for one season that would be amazing.

Doubt Eakin signs anywhere for less than 3 years.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Three seasons wouldn’t be the end of the world if our new prospect needs 2 seasons and then you have him around for only one season or being our 2c bumps his value and you can trade him.

Would depend on the money ..... and the cap situation. I would prefer to keep him for 2 years but that probably doesn't fly. I would consider 3 years if the cap hit is not too bad. He is 29 next month and I don't think he is the type of player who will have a long career. He has been good for us but it was only 8 games. I am a little leery of trying to sign him at all. But if there is no trade to be made he might be our best option.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have very little interest in Eakin. Copp is a better option at C - produces as much offense per minute (even strength), and is much, much better defensively and driving the play. The only reason for Eakin I could possibly see is to put Copp on LW with Lowry, but I think that Harkins might fit that role going forward.

upload_2020-4-16_17-2-44.png

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I have very little interest in Eakin. Copp is a better option at C - produces as much offense per minute (even strength), and is much, much better defensively and driving the play. The only reason for Eakin I could possibly see is to put Copp on LW with Lowry, but I think that Harkins might fit that role going forward.

View attachment 342164
I really liked Ehlers Eakins Laine. Overall numbers do not factor in chemistry.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I really liked Ehlers Eakins Laine. Overall numbers do not factor in chemistry.
I didn't think they were that good together. They scored some goals, but they had a very high and unsustainable shooting percentage. I don't think they would be a good 2nd line in the long term because I don't think Eakin is strong enough in his own zone. Maybe Laine will continue to improve and become a better line driver and won't need a C that can really lock down in the D zone and excel at zone exits and entries, but at this point he needs to play with a C that fills in gaps in his game.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It looks likely that Samberg didn't go earlier in the draft because of having taken the USHS route. He did play a few games in the USHL late in the season, but too few to tilt the assessment.

He now has 3 successful NCAA seasons under his belt and 2 WJC's. I assume he would go higher in a re-draft but I wonder how much higher. There were a lot of good players in that draft and a lot who have already achieved pretty well. Where do people here think he would go now?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I think Dylan played well last night. A few glitches but nice outing.

17:52 logged last night, nearly four minutes on PK. That's more than I expected, and it was four full minutes more than Chisholm which is not a criticism of Chisholm's play, but more a recognition of how well Samberg was doing.

It was nice to get a pleasant surprise. It's unfortunate that COVID forced the team's hand, but the silver lining is that some capable young talent will finally get a moment in the spotlight.

Reactions: Jetsetter

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
17:52 logged last night, nearly four minutes on PK. That's more than I expected, and it was four full minutes more than Chisholm which is not a criticism of Chisholm's play, but more a recognition of how well Samberg was doing.

It was nice to get a pleasant surprise. It's unfortunate that COVID forced the team's hand, but the silver lining is that some capable young talent will finally get a moment in the spotlight.

If BooBoo is #7 and Heinola is #8 then that was our #9 and #10 D playing last night with Samberg playing on the 2nd pair and doing fine. At a bate minimum we know we can be pretty comfortable with our depth this season.

Dylan looked really comfortable in that game so we’ll see where things go from here but so far so good.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If BooBoo is #7 and Heinola is #8 then that was our #9 and #10 D playing last night with Samberg playing on the 2nd pair and doing fine. At a bate minimum we know we can be pretty comfortable with our depth this season.

Dylan looked really comfortable in that game so we’ll see where things go from here but so far so good.

May even been our 10 and 11 depending where they see Kovacevic on the depth chart

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Gone are the days of bringing Nogier up lol. We've had some pretty scary depth the past two years and now we could probably ice 2 full D units

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Gone are the days of bringing Nogier up lol. We've had some pretty scary depth the past two years and now we could probably ice 2 full D units
We always won with Nogier in the lineup. I think Jets only ever lost one or two games when he was playing and won 8 or something.

Reactions: Jetsetter and Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->