Salary Cap: Dylan McIlrath

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Wait. Mcilrath has no feet ??

And gordie Clark still drafts the guy ?

Geez...I'm so done with this.

I knew we should have grabbed the Russian kid. I'm pretty sure he does have feet.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Of course the no feet crowd shows up in a McIlrath thread as usual. He's still young for a defenseman and some of them don't even grow feet until their mid-twenties. Just because he has no feet now doesn't mean he will forever. Brian Boyle came in to this league with no feet or hands and now look at him.

:sarcasm:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I have no issue with him being negative. Plenty of people are negative about any random thing. I have a major issue with him essentially questioning my truthfulness on the matter.

Im not questioning your truthfulness.

I know you think you're right.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Wait. Mcilrath has no feet ??

And gordie Clark still drafts the guy ?

Geez...I'm so done with this.

I knew we should have grabbed the Russian kid. I'm pretty sure he does have feet.

Our first round pick in 2015 will have no feet either...not to mention no hands, no head, no torso, no brain, no hair (and rogaine won't help here), and no chance of developing them either.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Our first round pick in 2015 will have no feet either...not to mention no hands, no head, no torso, no brain, no hair (and rogaine won't help here), and no chance of developing them either.

Will that still be the case when they trade Tanner Glass for Buffalo's 2015 1st rounder at the deadline?

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Will that still be the case when they trade Tanner Glass for Buffalo's 2015 1st rounder at the deadline?

Better chance of Sather trading our 2016 first rounder at the deadline (if we still own it...I'm losing track) for Joe Thornton or Jarome Iginla. Perhaps thrown in 2017 as well.

'How often do you get a chance...'

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Better chance of Sather trading our 2016 first rounder at the deadline (if we still own it...I'm losing track) for Joe Thornton or Jarome Iginla. Perhaps thrown in 2017 as well.

'How often do you get a chance...'

Sather has only traded 1sts in the last 10 years for MSL and Nash. Both trades I do again 10/10 and most of this fanbase would.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I think its near-sighted to be doing what hes been doing the last 2 years, but the team made the final this year so can you really bash him for it?

Good question - and people will have different opinions on this. As much as I absolutely loved the Stanley Cup Finals run, we all knew in the back of our minds this had the potential to be 'short-term gain/long-term pain'.

If we are in serious trouble in 3-5 years because of the lack of draft picks turning into NHL'ers at that time, some people will say the Finals run back in 2014 was the worst thing that could happen because we didn't win the Cup, and we are still paying for those trades. Others will say it was all worth it for a Stanley Cup Finals run, which may not have happened if we didn't make those trades.

A lot had to go right for us to make it to the Finals, and it did, and I still believe we were ripped off with that goaltender interference non-call that, IMHO, turned the series.

That said, with all the trades Sather made he did not make us perennial Stanley Cup contenders, he made us a team that, next year, will once again need a lot to go right for us to make the Finals. And with the roster turnover because Sather is up against the salary cap, some key contributors will not be around next year - so there is a chance even more will have to go right for us in 2015.

That may happen again...and it may not. So were the trades worth it? YMMV.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Good question - and people will have different opinions on this. As much as I absolutely loved the Stanley Cup Finals run, we all knew in the back of our minds this had the potential to be 'short-term gain/long-term pain'.

If we are in serious trouble in 3-5 years because of the lack of draft picks turning into NHL'ers at that time, some people will say the Finals run back in 2014 was the worst thing that could happen because we didn't win the Cup, and we are still paying for those trades. Others will say it was all worth it for a Stanley Cup Finals run, which may not have happened if we didn't make those trades.

A lot had to go right for us to make it to the Finals, and it did, and I still believe we were ripped off with that goaltender interference non-call that, IMHO, turned the series.

That said, with all the trades Sather made he did not make us perennial Stanley Cup contenders, he made us a team that, next year, will once again need a lot to go right for us to make the Finals. And with the roster turnover because Sather is up against the salary cap, some key contributors will not be around next year - so there is a chance even more will have to go right for us in 2015.

I think it would be best to have this as a stand alone thread and not buried within a Dylan McIlrath thread because it's a very interesting question.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Oh I have no doubt people will say this was the worst thing to happen to the franchise. Some people seriously believe that Lundqvist is the worst thing to happen to the franchise because we'd have every 1st overall from 05-15 without him.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Oh I have no doubt people will say this was the worst thing to happen to the franchise. Some people seriously believe that Lundqvist is the worst thing to happen to the franchise because we'd have every 1st overall from 05-15 without him.

Not commenting on Lundqvist, but if we are struggling in 3-5 years because of the lack of draft picks entering the lineup, wondering if one 2014 Stanley Cup Final appearance (if it turns out that's all there is) is an adequate reward for all those first and second round draft picks is a legitimate question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad