Injury Report: Dylan McIlrath "out a couple weeks" per NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Boyle has been garbage all year and McIlrath is still not seeing any consistent playing time over him. This is unfortunately fantasy.

I don't like Boyle that much and I didn't like him last year either but he's not really garbage per se. I think he's at the end of the line for sure and I'd rather have Dylan playing a lot more and Boyle a lot less.

When Boyle plays he needs to put up point production to make up for his pretty iffy defensive play. There's not been nearly enough of that to justify his getting more opportunity than Dylan. IMO Boyle is the easiest player to work off the puck on the team. Boyle also has a tendency to take the puck for a skate to no purpose. Well---he's practically 40 years old, small and comparatively speaking to the average NHL D-man he's a weakling. I never really expected all that much from him when we first signed him. A declining player with almost no future as an NHL player ahead of him. Yandle came in and became the point producer that he was supposed to be when we first got him.

That's my opinion. AV seems to have a somewhat different outlook on it. Boyle's going to need to be spotted in the playoffs. Because of his lack of experience at the NHL level and in the playoffs and because of the limited chances he's gotten to play I think McIlrath will need to be spotted whenever (or if) he gets a chance in the playoffs as well. It's what it is. But if there are injuries and there's likely to be and the deeper the team goes the more likelihood that McIlrath will be needed in some capacity.

If the Rangers wind up against heavy hitting forechecking teams like the Capitals or Islanders McIlrath is a much better option to play than Boyle at least as long as he doesn't get goaded into doing something dumb.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Probably won't see him again this season.

Because if AV doesn't play him in the reg season, why is he going to play him in the playoffs?

that would ignore that the season was a cushion.
POs = do or die.
He is forced to bend, buckle and break.
same thing w/Kreider.
All year long, they choke the creativity out if things are not one million percent their way, then if things are not happening in the playoffs, and there is no other choice, then they let kreider be kreider and some other players, same way also.

Maybe ever. I'm sure AV will throw a tantrum and have him traded since he gets whatever he wants.
Not any more.
Between McI, Miller, Kreider, etc I've had enough.
Guy is BRILLIANT theorist on X and Os, conceded.
But this obsession w/vets and who is/is not an AV guy has gotta stop, just as we finally had to lay the law down with Torts.

Boyle has been garbage all year and McIlrath is still not seeing any consistent playing time over him. This is unfortunately fantasy.
possibly, but note above.
If Boyle is gassed - percentage wise he will be - McIlrath plays, unless Diaz gets unconscious or some sheee-ite like that

I don't like Boyle that much and I didn't like him last year either but he's not really garbage per se. I think he's at the end of the line for sure and I'd rather have Dylan playing a lot more and Boyle a lot less.

When Boyle plays he needs to put up point production to make up for his pretty iffy defensive play. There's not been nearly enough of that to justify his getting more opportunity than Dylan. IMO Boyle is the easiest player to work off the puck on the team. Boyle also has a tendency to take the puck for a skate to no purpose. Well---he's practically 40 years old, small and comparatively speaking to the average NHL D-man he's a weakling. I never really expected all that much from him when we first signed him. A declining player with almost no future as an NHL player ahead of him. Yandle came in and became the point producer that he was supposed to be when we first got him.

That's my opinion. AV seems to have a somewhat different outlook on it. Boyle's going to need to be spotted in the playoffs. Because of his lack of experience at the NHL level and in the playoffs and because of the limited chances he's gotten to play I think McIlrath will need to be spotted whenever (or if) he gets a chance in the playoffs as well. It's what it is. But if there are injuries and there's likely to be and the deeper the team goes the more likelihood that McIlrath will be needed in some capacity.

If the Rangers wind up against heavy hitting forechecking teams like the Capitals or Islanders McIlrath is a much better option to play than Boyle at least as long as he doesn't get goaded into doing something dumb.

Concur, well said.

Last edited by a moderator:

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
He might not want him in his top 6 but he needs Dylan to be ready anyway. If Boyle starts blowing up or someone gets hurt he's going to need McIlrath as an option. Skjei will probably be another option but Skjei will be in Hartford getting plenty of minutes so he should be in game shape. If the Rangers go far into the postseason I expect they are going to have injuries here and there---any coaching staff figuring on their team making a run should plan ahead for such contingencies---your spare players need to be ready to step in--you have to have them prepped---you want them to understand their roles and you don't want to have any doubt that they're ready to go.

Boyle blow up?

Fizzle out absolutely but certainly not blow up.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
McILrath was made for a long, gritty 7 game playoff series. Just how brain dead is AV? We'll see come April.

I agree considering we don't really have any "heavy" forwards or defenseman besides mcilrath it would have been nice to see him punish and grind down some of the opposing forwards for once over 5,6,7 games. Oh well

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
McILrath was made for a long, gritty 7 game playoff series. Just how brain dead is AV? We'll see come April.

He's been pretty brittle throughout his career to make a statement like that. He just got hurt on a rather innocuous play against the Islanders in March. Now he's going to be an unstoppable force in the playoffs? Nice story

I'm surprised nobody has blamed the injury on the coach, yet.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's been pretty brittle throughout his career to make a statement like that. He just got hurt on a rather innocuous play against the Islanders in March. Now he's going to be an unstoppable force in the playoffs? Nice story

Actually McIlrath was a physical beast in last year's AHL playoffs. I remember he knocked 2-3?--key Providence Bruins players out of the series--one of whom was Pastrnak---reminds of Beukeboom some years ago knocking 3 Florida forwards out of the playoffs in one series. I still remember Garpenlov (who wasn't a small guy) bracing to take a head on collision and Beukeboom went right through him.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Well, he suffered a serious knee injury three years ago, recovered and hasn't really been injured until this minor injury... delivered by one of the harder hitters in the league.
He played 89 games (including playoffs and 1 NHL) last year in a VERY physical style...
I think "brittle" is a pretty ridiculous term for that. Hahaha. But I guess it's subjective.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
Dylan McIlrath on the ice in a non-contact jersey
Mar. 21 | 11:29AM
Share:
11:32AM: McIlrath began skating while the Rangers were on the West Coast. (Brooks)

11:28AM: Dylan McIlrath is on the ice at the Rangers morning skate today wearing a non-contact jersey. (Gross)

McIlrath has been out with an injuring his kneecap on 3/6.

Getting closer

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only possible plus side I can see at this point is that AV has finally made pairs that work and has NOT split them up:
McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi
Staal-Boyle

So, I am wondering if there is a precedent that when McIlrath gets better, Gorton forces AV to swap Girardi for McIlrath. Of course, it'll be because "Girardi is hurt". wouldn't want to embarrass the guy after he's player oh-so-well this year :shakehead

If Yandle-McIlrath looks good again, and Staal-Boyle continues to be average, I think that will ultimately determine whether or not they resign Yandle and move one of Staal/Girardi this offseason. There is no way you can justify having $11.2M on the 3rd D pairing

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The only possible plus side I can see at this point is that AV has finally made pairs that work and has NOT split them up:
McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi
Staal-Boyle

So, I am wondering if there is a precedent that when McIlrath gets better, Gorton forces AV to swap Girardi for McIlrath. Of course, it'll be because "Girardi is hurt". wouldn't want to embarrass the guy after he's player oh-so-well this year :shakehead:

Yandle-Girardi does not work at all, and it would certainly be in the Rangers best interest, when McIlrath is healthy, to pair him with Yandle again.

These are things that tend to only happen in fantasyland, unfortunately.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yandle-Girardi does not work at all, and it would certainly be in the Rangers best interest, when McIlrath is healthy, to pair him with Yandle again.

that leaves a third pair of either staal and girardi *shudders* or staal and boyle *shudders*

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
that leaves a third pair of either staal and girardi *shudders* or staal and boyle *shudders*

Amazingly enough, Staal-Boyle is less of a nightmare than Staal-Girardi. Staal-Girardi was the worst defensive pairing in hockey until AV had the brilliant idea of playing McIlrath and Boyle together.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Unfortunately, it's the only way to make Girardi a competent defenseman. It also neuters Yandle completely, sadly.

I know... realistically Girardi needs to be scratched. Not sure what's going through AV's head, but play your better players more...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Unfortunately, it's the only way to make Girardi a competent defenseman. It also neuters Yandle completely, sadly.

That was definitely the case earlier in the season, but right now? They're rendering each other completely ineffective. Some of Yandle's worst games of the season have been happening since G was put on his right.

Does correlation equal causation? Maybe not... but, it's a tough argument...

history-1516-NYR-yandlke86.png

BarbaraAlphanse

Boyle has played better the last 2 games. If he continues, well, fantasy land would require G being benched in Mcilrath's stead.

Won't happen. Unfortunately.

BarbaraAlphanse

Boyle has been doing a great job, really great, in the shot attempts department; but he's getting blasted in the goals department.

At this point, the only motivation I have on this board is to discuss and read positivity.

The team is heavily flawed, and the cornerstones that led to so much success and excitement (although not the ultimate success) throughout the last decade (or so) are cooked.

I don't bother with discussing the expansion draft, nor the roster for next year, because it kind of depresses me thinking that they're in this state right now.

For me it isn't about what the future holds in store. I'm hoping that this last hurrah gets seriously sparked from some intense islander playoff prevailing series and it carries the team to lift the cup this year. I'd like my last season on this board to end with discussion celebrating a well deserved cup for our most loyal members, and a comfortabilty with blowing that team up for the future. Otherwise it'll lead to a severely bad taste in my mouth, similar to when Ewing was traded to the supersonics, a trade that led to other future ramifications that have set the Knicks back 15 years and counting

Part of the solution this year, and for the future, is playing Dylan Mcilrath. Girardi has been absolutely terrible this year. Terrible. But I do think he will be capable of playing some incredibly important minutes and succeed knowing that this is it for this group.

Boyle, IMO, doesn't deserve to play... And I think this 2 game stretch is a mirage.

I'd really like to see these pairings for the playoffs:

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-Mcilrath
Staal-Girardi/Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad