Dylan Larkin's Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So you’re saying there’s no difference between a player that is going on his first year of LTIR and a player going on LTIR for his 2nd/3rd season??

I’m only going on something I vaguely remember reading awhile back so I’m likely wrong.

I remember something from last summer too. It was third kind of option for career ending injuries.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I remember something from last summer too. It was third kind of option for career ending injuries.

In this thread there was some curiosity about SOIR, which might be what folks are thinking of here. The page I linked to has Mouser's reply to clear up some of that. Mouser later mentions that there is a difference in figuring cap hit if put on LTIR before/after the first day of the season but I don't think it's revisited, or at least it's not before the eighth page.

I think by hook or by crook, Holland is just going to pull Larkin in where he needs to be so that the cap can be wrangled with a minimal amount of hassle. Larkin on one year for $4.5m doesn't seem unfair for either side.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
HSJ: The Wings are working on a long-term extension for Larkin — they’d prefer five years, but may have to go to six. Of the young forwards who were restricted free agents this summer (Larkin, Anthony Mantha, Andreas Athanasiou, Tyler Bertuzzi and Martin Frk), Larkin is the one who’s earned a big commitment because of the growth and character he’s shown since being drafted in 2014.
Regarding the second question, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Wings trade Athanasiou in exchange for a high draft pick/prospect. His skill and speed should hold appeal (especially if he gets hot for a stretch) and yield a good return.

Detroit Red Wings mailbag: What is status on Dylan Larkin's extension?

A 5 year deal for Larkin would be ideal IMO

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
One thing the Wings could do if the contract is over 4 years in length, is make it lock-out proof. Like Tavares' contract, it could be structured with large signing bonuses which would nullify the effects of a lock-out after this NHL-NHLPA contract expires. This could be tempting for Larkin, and allow the Wings to negotiate a lower average yearly cap hit.

They may not want to go too many years past five if they are going to try and circumvent the current NHL-NHLPA contract. The last time they did this, it is still biting them in the a**.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin1578

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
One thing the Wings could do if the contract is over 4 years in length, is make it lock-out proof. Like Tavares' contract, it could be structured with large signing bonuses which would nullify the effects of a lock-out after this NHL-NHLPA contract expires. This could be tempting for Larkin, and allow the Wings to negotiate a lower average yearly cap hit.

They may not want to go too many years past five if they are going to try and circumvent the current NHL-NHLPA contract. The last time they did this, it is still biting them in the a**.

Ehh, last time they were signing contracts taking players until they were 40. (Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall) Larkin could get the max years and would be 29 when it expired.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Per Genghis Khan, Detroit wants 5 years, Larkin will likely get 6, and it'll probably be in the $6M range.
Guys what has Larkin done to deserve a super long contract north of 6M AAV? Yes I like him as a player and yes he is from Michigan I get the feel good story about that but he has one 60 point season and we are ready to name him captain and give him a life time contract? He isn’t Connor McDavid. I know Holland loves to give long term deals and has a bias for his own players . We need to look at Dylan Larkin objectively against similar players at his age and production.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Guys what has Larkin done to deserve a super long contract north of 6M AAV? Yes I like him as a player and yes he is from Michigan I get the feel good story about that but he has one 60 point season and we are ready to name him captain and give him a life time contract? He isn’t Connor McDavid. I know Holland loves to give long term deals and has a bias for his own players . We need to look at Dylan Larkin objectively against similar players at his age and production.

Considering McDavid got 8 years $12.5M...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Considering McDavid got 8 years $12.5M...
My point was the long term commitment not the exact value of the player. McDavid is already a League Mvp. Larkin is nowhere close to a point per game player and is arguably not even our best young player....

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
My point was the long term commitment not the exact value of the player. McDavid is already a League Mvp. Larkin is nowhere close to a point per game player and is arguably not even our best young player....

giphy.gif

Reactions: odin1981
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->