Dylan Larkin vs Matt Barzal

Larkin vs Barzal

• Larkin

• Barzal

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'll take Larkin after last season to win a game right now, but Barzal showed a level of offensive ability in his rookie year that I just don't see in Larkin, and he might be the better option long term.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
People are really low on Barzal after his sophomore slump eh?

I'll take Barzal, I think he's the PPG player that he showed in his rookie season and will return to that level of production again.

I definitely take Barzal going forward, I just think Larkin’s a much more complete player right now.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The islanders would be worse off long term if you swapped Barzal and Larkin imo

I dunno about that. Youre getting probably somewhere around a point per game out of each player going forward but Barzal has a ways to go to make the same impact defensively as Larkin.

For this poll, Larkin is better now but Barzal does have a high end offense to his game that if things go well it could end up a wash. I dont see Barzal being a 90+ point guy though

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I dunno about that. Youre getting probably somewhere around a point per game out of each player going forward but Barzal has a ways to go to make the same impact defensively as Larkin.

For this poll, Larkin is better now but Barzal does have a high end offense to his game that if things go well it could end up a wash. I dont see Barzal being a 90+ point guy though

Just a hunch, it will be pretty consensus by seasons end that Larkin is in fact not better now. Don’t think he would be producing with kuhnuckl and Lee on his line. Obviously im biased and they’re both great young players

Feel free to bookmark and quote me on it

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Larkin right now but Barzal should provide more offence. For the Leafs, Larkin the type of player I’d prefer.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think Larkin is the easy choice.

Barzal is never reaching his rookie point totals ever again IMO

Reactions: Hustlr

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Two young star centers. Gotta go with the one who has more upside offensively, Barzal and it wasn’t too hard a choice.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Trotz had Barzal learning defense last year. Fully expect Barzal to explode soon. It would help to get some serious skill around the kid but that's another argument. Both are great young centers. Take your pick I guess.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Feel the same about Detroit being worse long term if Barzal and Larkin were swapped

I realllly don’t think so. Especially since Barzal would be playing with an effective goal scoring winger and not Tom kuhnackl

Barzal and Larkin both have 7pts with a +5 so far in this young season BUT... Larkin’s linemates have combined for 18 points. Barzals have 6

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I realllly don’t think so. Especially since Barzal would be playing with an effective goal scoring winger and not Tom kuhnackl

First of all (according to NaturalStatTrick), Barzal's most common linemate this season has been Lee, a previous 40 goal scorer. Almost 80 more minutes this season alone at 5v5 than Kuhnhackl. He's been with Bailey only 20 minutes less than Kuhnhackl. Eberle 30 more minutes than Kuhnhackl. You're over-exaggerating this. There are better arguments to argue Barzal over Larkin.

Last season his most common linemates were in order- Bailey, Beauviller and Eberle. Bailey outproduced Nyquist, Mantha and Bertuzzi did on Detroit last season. (Mantha was hurt for 15 games and had an awful October in his defense.) Larkin also played 325 minutes and 48 seconds with Abdelkader, and 246:55 with Helm last season, who aren't any better than Kuhnhackl. Pretty incredible Larkin had 73 pts in 76 games given that context.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
First of all (according to NaturalStatTrick), Barzal's most common linemate this season has been Lee, a previous 40 goal scorer. Almost 80 more minutes this season alone at 5v5 than Kuhnhackl. He's been with Bailey only 20 minutes less than Kuhnhackl. Eberle 30 more minutes than Kuhnhackl. You're over-exaggerating this. There are better arguments to argue Barzal over Larkin.

Last season his most common linemates were in order- Bailey, Beauviller and Eberle. Bailey outproduced Nyquist, Mantha and Bertuzzi did on Detroit last season. (Mantha was hurt for 15 games and had an awful October in his defense.) Larkin also played 325 minutes and 48 seconds with Abdelkader, and 246:55 with Helm last season, who aren't any better than Kuhnhackl. Pretty incredible Larkin had 73 pts in 76 games given that context.

I find it interesting that you intentionally didn’t quote the second half of my post... which was the entirety of the point.

As for last season. Bailey had between 1-3 more points than all of those guys. Beauvillier had far less, as did eberle. Neither had great linemates last season, but I was clearly pointing to this year and how I think it will play out. Like I said no point in arguing now, bookmark and quote me at year end. Pretty sure I’ll be correct on this one

Reactions: Thrasymachus

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I find it interesting that you intentionally didn’t quote the second half of my post... which was the entirety of the point.

As for last season. Bailey had between 1-3 more points than all of those guys. Beauvillier had far less, as did eberle. Neither had great linemates last season, but I was clearly pointing to this year and how I think it will play out. Like I said no point in arguing now, bookmark and quote me at year end. Pretty sure I’ll be correct on this one

Because you added it after you posted it and you and I both know that

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just a hunch, it will be pretty consensus by seasons end that Larkin is in fact not better now. Don’t think he would be producing with kuhnuckl and Lee on his line. Obviously im biased and they’re both great young players

Feel free to bookmark and quote me on it

Anders Lee is one of the best net front guys in the league and his lowest coring season the last 3 years was 28. Hes averaged 34 goals a year the last 3 seasons but we're going to pretend that hes not a good linemate for a more perimeter type offensive play maker like Barzal? His most common linemates so far this season are actually Lee and Eberle. Eberle had the worst season of his career last year and still hit 19 goals.

The linemate argument is bad. Give Larkin Tavares for a season on the PP and taking the number one defensive assignments off of him and he would put up crazy numbers while being better defensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad