Dylan Larkin officially named captain of the Detroit Red Wings

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I met him literally at the entry draft in Vancouver. I was living in Seattle at the time. We exchanged a few pleasantries on the Rogers concourse. I said I loved his work in the DEL. He laughed. I left to grab a beer. That got his attention. How many hockey fans voluntarily leave a conversation with a first round draft pick? Later on in the night, he found me on the rooftop of the arena, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette... the rest is history.

It’s hilarious to me that you think not talking the ear off of a celebrity and voluntarily ending the conversation is so rare that it would make you stand out. It’s really not that hard to be self-aware when you’re speaking with someone famous so as not to bother them.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you dont trust Yzermans ability to evaluate what it takes to be a good captain, youre an idiot. He took a year with no captain to get a feel for the organisation and decided Larkin is up for the job. Yzerman knows what that job requires in Detroit better than anyone. Especially on a bad team in Detroit and taking it over young

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
If you dont trust Yzermans ability to evaluate what it takes to be a good captain, youre an idiot. He took a year with no captain to get a feel for the organisation and decided Larkin is up for the job. Yzerman knows what that job requires in Detroit better than anyone. Especially on a bad team in Detroit and taking it over young
Let’s not forget that Martin Lapointe was being groomed for the captaincy before he left for Boston. Not Lidstrom. Not Fedorov. Not any of the hall of famers carrying those teams. Marty Lapointe.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Let’s not forget that Martin Lapointe was being groomed for the captaincy before he left for Boston. Not Lidstrom. Not Fedorov. Not any of the hall of famers carrying those teams. Marty Lapointe.
Good point. Nielsen also got the A. How does that make sense? He's apparently playing 4th line wing at this point. Can't say I'm confident in captaincy decisions at the moment.

Reactions: Sam Cogliano

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Just wanted to say congrats to Dylan! I need to find a place to get a C on my jersey now.

Anyone know where this can be done?
On the right breast. Just below the shoulder.
Seriously though, ill need to find a place to get this done pretty soon also - probably in a year or two when ill need a C on my Seider jersey.
:neener:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sure there's not a couple of things you left out?

Like DNA?

I mean the comment about Martin Lapointe being groomed for the captaincy after Yzerman. I could have seen Lapointe MAYBE wearing an A, but the team still had guys like Shanahan, Lidstrom, Murphy, Fedorov, Draper, McCarty, Larionov and Chelios. I can't see Lapointe taking a captaincy over any of them.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I mean the comment about Martin Lapointe being groomed for the captaincy after Yzerman. I could have seen Lapointe MAYBE wearing an A, but the team still had guys like Shanahan, Lidstrom, Murphy, Fedorov, Draper, McCarty, Larionov and Chelios. I can't see Lapointe taking a captaincy over any of them.
Lapointe's goatee and overall manliness made him look like a leader.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Of all the inane talk in this thread, the assertion that Marty Lapointe was 'being groomed for the captaincy' is one of the funnier things that's been posted. Thanks for that chuckle.

Lapointe was actually pretty well respected in the organization. He wore a letter in Chicago if I remember correctly. But on those HOF-stacked Detroit teams of the late 90s and up through when Lapointe departed, he was never close to an 'A', let alone the 'C', despite his hype in his younger years.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Well deserved. My only complaint is if Larkin was in the running to be captain they should have named him a long time ago.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Of all the inane talk in this thread, the assertion that Marty Lapointe was 'being groomed for the captaincy' is one of the funnier things that's been posted. Thanks for that chuckle.

Lapointe was actually pretty well respected in the organization. He wore a letter in Chicago if I remember correctly. But on those HOF-stacked Detroit teams of the late 90s and up through when Lapointe departed, he was never close to an 'A', let alone the 'C', despite his hype in his younger years.

I was reading a 2013 article in the bleacher report saying Lapointe was once thought to be possible future captain. Something about having locker next to Yzerman and then when Lapointe left for Boston they gave it to Zetterberg who ended up of course being captain. So it might have been a thought at one time.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Lapointe was briefly captain in Chicago.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yep that sounds extremely made up. Would have had a letter at some point if he was being groomed to be the next captain

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
I was reading a 2013 article in the bleacher report saying Lapointe was once thought to be possible future captain. Something about having locker next to Yzerman and then when Lapointe left for Boston they gave it to Zetterberg who ended up of course being captain. So it might have been a thought at one time.

Lapointe was a promising young player on a vet-laden team, and he was well-regarded. In that sense, the article you read was accurate. Thought of as a "possible future captain," early on, is likely not far off. But it never came close to fruition. He didn't stick around nearly long enough for it to be possible. At best, he was once considered "a possibility."

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I met him literally at the entry draft in Vancouver. I was living in Seattle at the time. We exchanged a few pleasantries on the Rogers concourse. I said I loved his work in the DEL. He laughed. I left to grab a beer. That got his attention. How many hockey fans voluntarily leave a conversation with a first round draft pick? Later on in the night, he found me on the rooftop of the arena, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette... the rest is history.
r/thathappened

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Proof or it didn't happen.
I mean, we're talking about something over twenty years ago, but that was the rumor going around back in the 90s. The Red Wings even gave Lapointe the stall next to Yzerman's. Shanahan and Chelios were captains on previous teams. Lidstrom and Fedorov were the most talented guys on the team. But the players looked up to Marty, which I brought up only to point out that the most talented guy in the room isn't necessarily the guy leading it.

In any event, here's some revisionist history that backs up what I'm saying.

Malik Report:

A first-round draft pick (10th overall) in 1991, Lapointe was the leader of the next generation of Red Wings. It was common knowledge that when Yzerman retired, Lapointe was the next captain.​

Bleacher Report

There was a time when Martin Lapointe was considered the heir apparent to the C once Steve Yzerman finally decided to hang up his skates.​

Lapointe was a promising young player on a vet-laden team, and he was well-regarded. In that sense, the article you read was accurate. Thought of as a "possible future captain," early on, is likely not far off. But it never came close to fruition. He didn't stick around nearly long enough for it to be possible. At best, he was once considered "a possibility."
All I said is that he was being groomed. But yeah, Boston offered him a boatload of money, and he left long before Yzerman's retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->