Dylan Larkin officially named captain of the Detroit Red Wings

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Only thing I would ask him to change is the whining and "give up sell-job" he does when trying to draw a penalty. The second one especially irks me when he just looks at the ref, has a moan, and then takes his time to get back into play when it looks like nothing is actually wrong with him.

Depending on how you define whining, it's likely part of the job. If anything that will only increase because he's going to do it more on behalf of everyone.

The penalty drawing I feel like he hasn't done as much as he did in his first few seasons. But I agree, that was irritating to watch.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Depending on how you define whining, it's likely part of the job. If anything that will only increase because he's going to do it more on behalf of everyone.

The penalty drawing I feel like he hasn't done as much as he did in his first few seasons. But I agree, that was irritating to watch.

My only irk with Larkin is he looks for calls too much. He still does this including last season, and is literally my only issue with him. Hope he stops, just play and if there is a penalty it will be called, carry on with the play.

All that said, he is still the clear front runner for Captain and I am glad he is the pick!

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Time to buy the jersey and drink some kool-aid!

Happy for Dylan, hands down my favourite Wing since the retirement of the obvious choices. He still has room and time to grow, and I have never doubted his work ethic. Great choice, he will be the type of example we need going forward. Hopefully fans don't turn on him with the real possibility we still suck for a few years.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Should have just been patient and waited for Seider.
Now we will be in one of those awkward scenarios in the near future where our best player/leader isn't the captain... Like Landeskog/Mackinnon.
Really don't wanna see Larks get his C stripped like what happened with Dustin Brown.

Reactions: Sam Cogliano

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Now we will be in one of those awkward scenarios in the near future where our best player/leader isn't the captain... Like Landeskog/Mackinnon.
Really don't wanna see Larks get his C stripped like what happened with Dustin Brown.
Because Colorado is clearly being held back by their choice of captain?

C'mon now. "Best player" can be defined in a number of ways, but Yzerman was neither the most talented on the roster nor the MVP during the bulk of his captaincy. He said so himself when referring to the years that he played with Lidstrom.

I 100% hope that Seider takes the NHL by storm and never looks back. But I would be happy to both have a stud defenseman and to have Larkin wearing the C, because neither obstructs the other and both help the team.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Lol

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
Good to hear.

Now we just need to trade Seider to prevent any problems regarding the "C" in the future. Might need to trade Raymond too. And god help whoever Detroit picks first the next two drafts, they'll probably have to go to.

#tradeSeider #tradeRaymond #tradeanyonewhomightbebetterthanLarkin

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

C'mon now. "Best player" can be defined in a number of ways, but Yzerman was neither the most talented on the roster nor the MVP during the bulk of his captaincy. He said so himself when referring to the years that he played with Lidstrom.

I 100% hope that Seider takes the NHL by storm and never looks back. But I would be happy to both have a stud defenseman and to have Larkin wearing the C, because neither obstructs the other and both help the team.

It's not THAT uncommon for the best player to not be the captain. In some instances, that helps the best player be just that.

Reactions: Reddwit

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle

Is your post serious? Unless I'm weirdly mistaken... Lidstrom was indeed captain sir.
Yzerman was also the best player during his Red Wings days. Don't be fooled by his good guy captain-esque modesty.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Finally we can stop talking about this now. Hopefully he can win us a cup eventually or a series or at a minimum lead us to the playoffs...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Worst captain in 300 years!

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Worst captain in 300 years!

If we win a few cups and Larkin gets his C pulled from the sweater.. I think everyone will be ok.

The concept of a captain being your most talented player is flawed. Are Kucherov or Tarasenko being effected by it? Some players get the C because they can lead a team and keep a locker room morale where it should be.. Others are super talented and just play the game and their role. Never been a fan of the most talented player getting the C.

Also I love Mo, my fav Wings prospect in many year. Hes still a prospect,its very possible he doesn't factor into our immediate plans for a few years... These are not throw away years under Yzerman.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-13_15-48-38.png

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If we win a few cups and Larkin gets his C pulled from the sweater.. I think everyone will be ok.

The concept of a captain being your most talented player is flawed. Are Kucherov or Tarasenko being effected by it? Some players get the C because they can lead a team and keep a locker room morale where it should be.. Others are super talented and just play the game and their role. Never been a fan of the most talented player getting the C.

Also I love Mo, my fav Wings prospect in many year. Hes still a prospect,its very possible he doesn't factor into our immediate plans for a few years... These are not throw away years under Yzerman.
Same, love Seider. But, the reality is he's probably going to be in Sweden most of this season, maybe getting a cup of tea. You're probably not going to name him captain to start next season because he hasn't really been in the locker room. So we go 5 years without a captain then name Seider, just assuming he's going to be the player we dream about and expecting everyone to immediately see him as their leader?
No thanks.

Reactions: Reddwit

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is your post serious? Unless I'm weirdly mistaken... Lidstrom was indeed captain sir.
Yzerman was also the best player during his Red Wings days. Don't be fooled by his good guy captain-esque modesty.
Lidstrom was captain after Yzerman, yes. But they were on the roster together from 1991 to 2006, and Yzerman said Lidstrom was the better player:

Regner: As always, Yzerman put his team first

"When the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 2002, I interviewed Yzerman for the Wings radio network and asked him about Lidstrom winning the Conn Smythe Trophy, as the MVP of the playoffs.

"A jubilant Wings captain looked at me and said, "You know as well as anybody that he's been our best player the last 10 years. Without Nick, we win nothing." "

Shoot, Fedorov was more talented, and had a Heart Trophy to show for it.

I don't say ask this to denigrate Yzerman in any way. He's my favorite player of all time, and I doubt that will ever change. But his greatness as captain was not a function of him putting more pucks in the net than anybody else. It was a historic degree of determination and accountability, coupled with enough talent to lead by example.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

so? I wanted a captain these past 3 or 4 seasons however long its been. I wouldnt have cared if it were Glendening, or even naming a new captain each season. In football they choose new captains for each game. I dont understand the obsession with your captain having to be your best player. Makes absolutely zero sense, theres no correlation between player skill and leadership.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle

This isn't just about best player. Have you met Seider yet? He oozes personality and confidence. He has leader written all over him. Larkin has the same run of the mill hockey attitude that every player has. Dylan seems to be captain out of convenience if anything.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->