Dylan Larkin looks good so far

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Did anyone else have an issue with the attitude of Larkin last game (flyers)?
When Bert got cross checked in the back Larkin threw his hands in the air for a penalty, instead of sticking up for his teammate.
When Konecky grabbed the puck on the GWG, he stopped and didn't chase, and again threw his hands in the air asking for a call.
Is he trying to be a referee or is he trying to help the Wings win?

Reactions: mjtm777

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When Bert got cross checked in the back Larkin threw his hands in the air for a penalty, instead of sticking up for his teammate.
When Konecky grabbed the puck on the GWG, he stopped and didn't chase, and again threw his hands in the air asking for a call.
Larkin was a mess last game. Tbh reminded me of last year Larkin, flailing around, whining incessantly, and undisciplined in his response to adversity.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Not every can be the perfect human :P

But more seriously let's not lose sight of the fact that he is 20 years old and still growing as human being and as a player.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Larkin was a mess last game. Tbh reminded me of last year Larkin, flailing around, whining incessantly, and undisciplined in his response to adversity.

I am glad it wasn't just me then. Something to watch for tonight I guess.
He needs to be a leader on the ice, and I always think "What would Stevie do, what would Z do"
Larkin needs to be the next person in that thought, and he is still far away from that imo.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think we want Larkin sticking up for teammates. He's our star player, and the last thing we need is him breaking his hand. We have Witkowski for that stuff.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I don't think we want Larkin sticking up for teammates. He's our star player. We have Witkowski for that stuff.

Yeah, I understand that, but even Z grabs players from behind if they do something like that. I don't particularly mean fighting either. It shows the attitude of leading and that the teammates are more important than a penalty (how good is our PP again?).

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I am glad it wasn't just me then. Something to watch for tonight I guess.
He needs to be a leader on the ice, and I always think "What would Stevie do, what would Z do"
Larkin needs to be the next person in that thought, and he is still far away from that imo.

In fairness, leaders like Yzerman and Toews had a short fuse and sometimes got rocked off their game.

But Larkin has been off for the last two games.

Reactions: Ezekial

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
6 million with 80 million cap is peanuts.

When Datsyuk lived his 6.7M contract through, cap was on ~50 millions. Rised from 39 to 56 M.

6.7M of 55M cap was ~12.8% in 2008.

Same 6.7M of 80M cap is ~8.4% of cap and with 55M cap that would have been 4.6M.

Just peanuts.

Datsyuk was one of the best players in hockey coming off his second straight 87-point season and he was a human highlight reel.
Larkin is NOWHERE near the level Datsyuk was at when that contract was signed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Datsyuk was one of the best players in hockey coming off his second straight 87-point season and he was a human highlight reel.
Larkin is NOWHERE near the level Datsyuk was at when that contract was signed.

This isn't apples to apples though. Larkin is about to negotiate his first contract extension. Datsyuk got a 3.9 million bridge in that occasion. In part because he leveraged Russia a little and he had been completely anemic in the post-season so they settled at a show me contract.

They heavily entertained trading him for Scott Gomez on that deal because he was fairly inconsistent. Obviously we are glad they didn't but I think you're trapped in nostalgia for your favorite player if you're making this argument. Pavel Datsyuk was a decent gamble that did pay off by Holland, he was not a discount at all when they put pen to paper. I don't know if you do that with Larkin, but he is ahead at the same age, I just doubt he has the ridiculous development curve Datsyuk did. Still you just listed Datsyuk's 28 year old contract.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
This isn't apples to apples though. Larkin is about to negotiate his first contract extension. Datsyuk got a 3.9 million bridge in that occasion. In part because he leveraged Russia a little and he had been completely anemic in the post-season so they settled at a show me contract.

They heavily entertained trading him for Scott Gomez on that deal because he was fairly inconsistent. Obviously we are glad they didn't but I think you're trapped in nostalgia for your favorite player if you're making this argument. Pavel Datsyuk was a decent gamble that did pay off by Holland, he was not a discount at all when they put pen to paper. I don't know if you do that with Larkin, but he is ahead at the same age, I just doubt he has the ridiculous development curve Datsyuk did. Still you just listed Datsyuk's 28 year old contract.

ha. i forgot about the scott gomez thing. I do remember plenty of people on the forums and the media who had serious doubts about that deal when it was signed. hilarious how silly all that looks now in hindsight

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
All a part of the development process. The complaining is annoying but he'll improve, his drive is insane.

On that note, Blashill has handled Larkin beautifully this year. I was really skeptical of how he was deployed last year but that was also because of his performance. Putting Larkin on the PK was the best thing for him and I think it really sparked his game.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

The only time I ever considered a Datsyuk trade was when it appeared Ken Holland might not sign him.

Regardless, I didn't compare Datsyuk to Larkin - Henka did.
I am saying it's not a good comparison.

So thanks for agreeing with me.
Datsyuk got 10 percent of the salary cap in 2005.
It was after his 3rd season.
Datsyuk was also older and closer to UFA age.

But even so, Datsyuk in 2003-04 was far superior to Larkin today.
Yes, he had better teammates, but the only thing missing in Datsyuk's game in 04 was playoff production.

He was already an elite, world class player.

Let's see where Larkin is at 23 or 24.

I don't believe Larkin has anywhere near that kind of potential. But it's a little hard to compare because Larkin is a different kind of player.
He's more of a Ryan Kesler mold guy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The only time I ever considered a Datsyuk trade was when it appeared Ken Holland might not sign him.

Regardless, I didn't compare Datsyuk to Larkin - Henka did.
I am saying it's not a good comparison.

I did compare just the relative caphits. Not the players. You thought that I'm comparing the players. Next time, try to think better.

Datsyuk had a bigger part of the cap as a relatively better player. So they are in line. Larkin's caphit at 6 million is peanuts nowadays, but some people may feel that it's same money as Zetterberg and Datsyuk had. When it isn't even near.

That was my point. Money is less for lesser player. No season to freak out for anyone.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
No clue why people keep making this comparison. They aren't even close to the same type of player.

To me, Larkin plays a lot more like young Sidney Crosby.

I agree in terms of playstyle

And yeah, I see pretty much 0 Kesler in Larkin, other than they're both American centers

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Larkin makes a lot of mistakes but for me it's a dream come true watching him, Bertuzzi, AA, and Mantha slowly begin to lead the team in minutes. I don't mind losing like that.

I was thinking Monahan was a decent comparable. Not a #1 driver but a necessary core player (for the time being). If the Wings add in a couple more high forwards and maybe a 3rd round diamond like Gaudreau our offense could be really fun to watch. It brings up how I feel about Calgary; they're a good team. Sure they're not favorites but remain steadily in the mix. I don't mind at all being a bubble team with hope to improve if that's our fate the next 10 years. Anything's better than watching a sinking ship bailed out and patched up year after bleeping year.

When Datsyuk split it opened a window for a real rebuild and youth movement. Helm, Nielsen, and Daley were not necessary. The Wings should be focusing on bringing in elite talent. That's the only way LCA is going to be full like the Joe, when people are climbing over themselves to buy up tickets to watch a new generation of stars.

Hopefully after the TD (unlike last season) Holland can put the "competitive" BS to rest and go after a top 5 pick. This fanbase deserves it.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I agree in terms of playstyle

And yeah, I see pretty much 0 Kesler in Larkin, other than they're both American centers

1. Speedy center.
2. Defensive minded.
3. Rambunctious.
4. About the same size.
5. Considered to have leadership ability.
6. Creates offense with speed and attacking the net, not really patience and creativity.

Crosby? GTFO.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The guy Larkin reminds me of is Modano. Modano was more gifted and a bit bigger, but that's who I see shades of when Larkin's on his game.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The guy Larkin reminds me of is Modano. Modano was more gifted and a bit bigger, but that's who I see shades of when Larkin's on his game.

Modano is so smooth though. So much more skilled, too. And he didn't have Larkin's hustle either.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Modano is so smooth though. So much more skilled, too. And he didn't have Larkin's hustle either.

I think Modano played harder than he was given credit for, especially when Hitchcock had that team rolling. Part of the problem with being that smooth is that everything looks effortless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Modano played harder than he was given credit for, especially when Hitchcock had that team rolling. Part of the problem with being that smooth is that everything looks effortless.

Plus I immediately thought back to North Stars Modano when you said this.

I don't know Modano has the Yzerman aspect of what do you mean I wasn't a good effort 200 foot player element to him. He always was, then he gets a drill sergeant coach and he went from offensive dynamo to awesome two way player. The fact is he was really good when Hitch started working to make him even better.

Modano was a great talent. I don't think Larkin has his level of talent though I certainly hope he develops into a similar player.

Something lost about both Modano and Fedorov from that era because of how smooth both their games were was just how big of men they were though.

Larkin is a fairly unique player, which is pretty cool in my opinion. He is a pretty industrious guy that spends a lot of time improving different aspects of his game. Hopefully discipline is next up on his agenda.

Rough little stretch, I would like to see him snap that tomorrow night and not let this prolong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad