Confirmed with Link: Dylan Labbe (2012, 4th round, #107 overall) Signs Entry Level Deal with the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Even at the deadline? I mean that's what we did with Larsson and Hackett for Pominville. We sold Larsson pretty low since we had Haula.

Did we though? A player that was supposed to be a 3rd, MAYBE 2nd, line center max for a guy that pretty routinely put up 30 goals. Do you really think we sold him low? If so, I don't know what you think prospects are worth vs proven players.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I thought we actually sold high on Larsson. A lot of us around here loved him as a prospect and he was doing well where he was playing.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I thought we actually sold high on Larsson. A lot of us around here loved him as a prospect and he was doing well where he was playing.

If you don't consider it to be the 1st round pick, Larsson was the centerpiece in the deal that got Pominville. I would say that is selling pretty high myself...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Even at the deadline? I mean that's what we did with Larsson and Hackett for Pominville. We sold Larsson pretty low since we had Haula.

It's pretty difficult to tell, but time will tell. Depends on context and return. Give some examples of who you'd like to acquire by packaging Labbe? If another 30 goal-scorer like Pominville is available, I think that's something the Wild should definitely inquire about.

Slightly OT: Hackett has obviously struggled. Larsson had a slow start, but I think he'll be a valuable player soon.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's pretty difficult to tell, but time will tell. Depends on context and return. Give some examples of who you'd like to acquire by packaging Labbe? If another 30 goal-scorer like Pominville is available, I think that's something the Wild should definitely inquire about.

Slightly OT: Hackett has obviously struggled. Larsson had a slow start, but I think he'll be a valuable player soon.

16 points and an even rating in 38 games for the Sabres is an incredible performance. Larsson and the 1st round was a huge price to pay. Between that and Leddy, I don't trust these guys to trade prospects. But to get on topic, no way do I expect them to trade Labbé anytime soon. He's a good prospect, glad he got signed and he should be a decent AHLer next season.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I hope the Wild hold on too Labbe. He's a lefty shot with size, he plays with an edge, and he can contribute on offense. Having Oloffsson and him in Iowa next year will be really nice.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
16 points and an even rating in 38 games for the Sabres is an incredible performance. Larsson and the 1st round was a huge price to pay. Between that and Leddy, I don't trust these guys to trade prospects. But to get on topic, no way do I expect them to trade Labbé anytime soon. He's a good prospect, glad he got signed and he should be a decent AHLer next season.

I meant a slow start to his career. ;)

Agreed - he's been really good for Buffalo.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Did we though? A player that was supposed to be a 3rd, MAYBE 2nd, line center max for a guy that pretty routinely put up 30 goals. Do you really think we sold him low? If so, I don't know what you think prospects are worth vs proven players.

He was very unproven at that point, similar to Hackett. He had few NHL call ups but was pretty much unproven.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I wouldn't say Larsson was unproven:

•put up 36 points in 49 games as a 19 year old in the Swedish Elite league.
•captained Sweden's U20 to WJC gold medal.
•put up 37 points in 62 games in Houston as AHL rookie.

Pretty damn good looking prospect if you ask me

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's the very definition of selling low. An unproven forward...

Disagree. Selling low is a value that is a comparable value. In other words, what is the value of a 21-year old 6-0 198lbs forward playing in his first year in the AHL (37 points in 62 games) and coming off a 36 point point SHL season the previous year?

Being unproven in the NHL "lowers" his value, but all his accomplishments beforehand makes him more valuable than an average 21-year old prospect. You cannot ignore his previous accomplishments (captain of W20 Sweden, 4th in Aeros scoring, good SHL season). Because these things were only a year before, they still hold relevance.

Sum up: the very definition of selling low is to sell lower than that player's expected progress. I don't think many of us expected Larsson to be an NHLer at that point.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
It's the very definition of selling low. An unproven forward...

Not that they're comparable in any way, but if some team offers up their next four 1st rounders + a top 4 D + a top 6 forward for the 1st overall pick in the 2015 draft, then Connor McDavid ends up being a huge bust, did that team sell low on an unproven forward? Sometimes the hype & potential causes a team to buy high; the team trading that prospect away isn't necessarily selling low on an unproven player.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not that they're comparable in any way, but if some team offers up their next four 1st rounders + a top 4 D + a top 6 forward for the 1st overall pick in the 2015 draft, then Connor McDavid ends up being a huge bust, did that team sell low on an unproven forward? Sometimes the hype & potential causes a team to buy high; the team trading that prospect away isn't necessarily selling low on an unproven player.

First off, I misspoke. We sold Hackett high, I don't think he'll ever produce the same as he did when he was with the Wild. He fit the system well. Secondly, to me, we sold low on Larsson because he was largely and still unproven at the time. He had potential still (and still does) but we sold him when we largely didn't know where he was going to project. For example, let's use O'Sullivan and Phillips. Phillips we had a few years to see where he projected and before he dropped off a cliff and ruined any potential he had left, we decided to trade him. For O'Sullivan, we sold him high. He had an amazing AHL season. Could he replicate it? Possibly but his rookie season was probably going to be one of, if not, the best season of his career. For Larsson, we're saying that his season was pretty much where he was going to be. The fact we had to throw in a 1st, 2nd and Hackett (who was a pretty high prospect at the time), means that Larsson wasn't exactly being sold high. It's similar to how we sold Leddy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We were never going to get Pominville for Larsson, straight up, so the 1st isn't exactly a "throw-in".

Larsson + the 1st was probably nearing "fair value", and I guess Hackett + the difference between a 2nd and a 4th pushed it over the edge.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We were never going to get Pominville for Larsson, straight up, so the 1st isn't exactly a "throw-in".

Larsson + the 1st was probably nearing "fair value", and I guess Hackett + the difference between a 2nd and a 4th pushed it over the edge.

I'd say Hackett + 1st with Larsson and 2nd for the 4th. Larsson wasn't going to return us Pominville but throwing in Hackett (who we were selling very high), a 1st and a mid-2nd round pick was huge for Pominville. We bought at the wrong time for Poms and it cost us a lot.

Since this is Labbe, if we trade him at the next deadline, it'd be the same situation as Larsson.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'd say Hackett + 1st with Larsson and 2nd for the 4th. Larsson wasn't going to return us Pominville but throwing in Hackett (who we were selling very high), a 1st and a mid-2nd round pick was huge for Pominville. We bought at the wrong time for Poms and it cost us a lot.

Since this is Labbe, if we trade him at the next deadline, it'd be the same situation as Larsson.

Seriously? I guess missing playoffs sounds better.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Seriously? I guess missing playoffs sounds better.

First off, I love the subtle but significant revision that Wild fans have regarding the 12-13 season, which really wasn't a season but half a season. The Wild were considered a borderline playoff team back then. Most fans and most analysts thought maybe if Minnesota got a lucky bounce or two, they would be a fringe playoff team even with Suter and Parise. They weren't built to be a deep Stanley Cup competing team back then and needed a season or two more to really gel and build the team.

Secondly, yes. The season was 48 games long. Half a season. Why give up a significant chunk of your prospect base to barely squeak into the playoffs and then get bounced almost immediately? Not to mention, how many points have Granlund or Coyle - not to mention goals produced for the Wild? Wait, let me answer that for you. It doesn't matter! Points and goals don't matter because they are doing so much better defensively! Great, than why the hell did we sign Vanek if goals don't matter? Why are we looking for an offensive-defenseman? If defensive play is all that matters, if that is what we judge players on for this organization, than why aren't we looking for more defensive players for this roster?

Here's the deal, Minnesota was in dire straights when Fletcher took over. It was going to take a significant amount of patience and restraint to get them back to the level from 05-06, including smart drafting, smart trading, and careful planning. The team looks good now, but I really question what it's going to look like when Koivu, Vanek, Pominville, and Parise all start declining. Koivu, Vanek and Pominville are already declining. And while it's nice to have Nino and Zucker filling in, let's see how they do in the top 6 role for the entire season. We might be back in 04-05 level in a few years.

Furthermore, it's funny that Minnesota is looking for a goaltender when they gave up on one that fit the system in Hackett. He might not be doing as well in Buffalo, but hell who is? He's also had some injuries, but meh.

Again, though this is about Labbe. I can see Labbe or Olofsson as one of the expendables.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
ENOUGH.

Talk about Labbe. If you want to keep talking trade hypotheticals or why we should or should not have brought in John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt in exchange for our 98th round pick and John Luc Skywalker Tiberious Janeway take it to the trades thread.

Get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad