Dylan Hunter a 3.5C rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
23games 15goals 29assists 44points 22pim - good for 2nd in OHL scoring....

6foot 196lbs.... solid size body one would assume....

whats the deal? is he a product of schremp and perry? i dont see how someone who's tearing up the OHL as a 19 year old can be rated so poorly.... any answers/explanations?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
fedorov_jr said:

whats the deal? is he a product of schremp and perry? i dont see how someone who's tearing up the OHL as a 19 year old can be rated so poorly.... any answers/explanations?

Remember for starters, these rankings were done before the season started. On top of that, from all the reports I've read, he significantly improved himself this offseason by training relentlessly.

On top of that, playing on the country's best team certainly doesn't hurt one bit, especially when it boasts the likes of Perry and Schremp.

Furthermore, I know I can't speak for the Buffalo writers on this page, but I'm STILL tinkering with my ratings to get them how I see fit, given our new ratings system.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I'm shocked he's a 3.5c, i'd say more like a 5.5c.... he has the potential to become a 4th or 3rd line guy, but could also be career minor leaguer w/ great stats.

He is definately benefiting from Perry and Schremp, but they also benefit from his hard work. I've seen him play live many times and has had a few 4 and 5 point nights when Perry and Schremp had fewer points, so its not all b/c of them.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
trahans99 said:
I'm shocked he's a 3.5c, i'd say more like a 5.5c.... he has the potential to become a 4th or 3rd line guy, but could also be career minor leaguer w/ great stats.

He is definately benefiting from Perry and Schremp, but they also benefit from his hard work. I've seen him play live many times and has had a few 4 and 5 point nights when Perry and Schremp had fewer points, so its not all b/c of them.

i was just going to say, the last couple games he's been the dominant one.... he had 4 assists the other night while the other 2 big names on his line has less overall points.... same with todays game (3 points for him, 2 for perry and 1 for schremp i believe)

maybe the sabres have found themselves a center that can fit in nicely behind derek roy in the future...

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
trahans99 said:
I've seen him play live many times and has had a few 4 and 5 point nights when Perry and Schremp had fewer points, so its not all b/c of them.

Just because he had more points then Perry and Schremp on certain nights doesn't mean it's not because of them. Defenders still need to cover Perry and Schremp, and depending on their structure, they might be giving those 2 extra coverage, allowing Hunter more room.
Naturally, I defer to you, because you have seen them more then I have, but just pure stats don't tell the true story.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Well remember what Hunter was at the time of the ratings.

He was a 19 year old who was passed over in his first year of draft eligibility.

His fitness and work ethic were questionable.

The fact his pa coaches the team was a factor in him getting ice time a lot of people didn't think he deserved. I remember a thread about the worst OHL player last season and he and his cousin were almost unanimous. Even now he could just be a case of an overager playing on a great team with great linemates. I still greatly question what kind of future he has but I'm certainly thrilled to see him putting up these kind of numbers. He'll have a higher rating when the next group comes out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the bottom of the Top 20. But frankly when the ratings came out I thought he was too high.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
fedorov_jr said:
i was just going to say, the last couple games he's been the dominant one.... he had 4 assists the other night while the other 2 big names on his line has less overall points.... same with todays game (3 points for him, 2 for perry and 1 for schremp i believe)

maybe the sabres have found themselves a center that can fit in nicely behind derek roy in the future...

If you look at the Ottawa game the other night, a couple of his assists were pretty weak. More lucky than anything else. That being said, from what I've seen I've liked him. But he is also an older JUNIOR player playing against 17-18 year olds, he should dominate. When he translates that into pro hockey then we'll see what he can actually do. I would also like to see him playing on a team other than London to see what he would do. I would say he is borderline NHL material at this point.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Dylan has definitely improved, no question about it. Nearly every aspect of his game has taken a step forward this year. I actually believe he could have an excellent shot at an NHL career, especially since he's definitely committed to improving himself in order to reach the next level.

I don't see his raw offensive skills being good enough to be able to be a top 2 liner at the NHL level, but I think he's got an excellent shot as becoming a very useful 3-4th liner.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Brock said:
Dylan has definitely improved, no question about it. Nearly every aspect of his game has taken a step forward this year. I actually believe he could have an excellent shot at an NHL career, especially since he's definitely committed to improving himself in order to reach the next level.

I don't see his raw offensive skills being good enough to be able to be a top 2 liner at the NHL level, but I think he's got an excellent shot as becoming a very useful 3-4th liner.

We saw quite a bit of Dylan in Wasington. He seemed to get better every year. I'd be willing to bet the person rating Dylan had never seen him play. I would say 6.5 would be better right now.

raidered

Feb 4, 2004
Read HF's OHL Canada/Russia lineup summary. Too many people on here just go by a player's stats as the be all and the end all. Stats often come as a result of coaching decisions and when his dad is behind the bench he's got a big foot in the door to get all the points in the world. I'm surprised that Brock who must have seen him play didn't mention Hunter's biggest hurdle to the next level. SKATING!!! That's right folks. Nobody gets a pass to the next level unless they can keep up with the speed. Dylan has improved in 4 years, but still doesn't have NHL skating ability and his dad would do him a favour by teaching him more of a grinder role cause he ain't going to be much of a scorer at the next level.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Take a look at Buffalo's other foward prospects, and take a look at their fowards now.

Even cracking the 4th line will be very hard to do.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
raidered said:
Read HF's OHL Canada/Russia lineup summary. Too many people on here just go by a player's stats as the be all and the end all. Stats often come as a result of coaching decisions and when his dad is behind the bench he's got a big foot in the door to get all the points in the world. I'm surprised that Brock who must have seen him play didn't mention Hunter's biggest hurdle to the next level. SKATING!!! That's right folks. Nobody gets a pass to the next level unless they can keep up with the speed. Dylan has improved in 4 years, but still doesn't have NHL skating ability and his dad would do him a favour by teaching him more of a grinder role cause he ain't going to be much of a scorer at the next level.

Well to be honest, I think Dylan has done a lot to earn the ice time he's received this year. Last year, ok maybe not. But this year, Dylan worked very, very hard in order to improve so that he could remain playing on London's top line. His skating certainly isn't top class, but IMO it's improved to the point where I would say it's no longer his biggest hurdle. IMO his biggest hurdle is one you mentioned, the fact that he needs to find a role at the next level. Will he be a scorer? Not likely, so he's going to have to continue to improve and round out his game, should he want to be an NHL player.

adamolsen

Aug 6, 2004
dylan hunter

Hunter is definately the product of playing on a great team. He is also the product of playing on the team his father coaches. He is the product of taking 2 minute shifts whenever he feels like it and he is the product of playing on a line with the most overrated player (Corey Perry) in the OHL.

On that note Corey Perry is the most selfish whiner I have ever seen tie up the skates. He does not deserve the fanfare that he is getting.

fedorov_jr said:

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
fanfare? i wasnt aware that i was an admirer of his....

i simply wanted to know if he was getting good stats because of his linemates, or because he has some good passing skills....

in your post, you seem to believe neither.... so why is he 2nd in the OHL in scoring?

dont just post some crap without clearing things up

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
adamolsen said:
Hunter is definately the product of playing on a great team. He is also the product of playing on the team his father coaches. He is the product of taking 2 minute shifts whenever he feels like it and he is the product of playing on a line with the most overrated player (Corey Perry) in the OHL.

On that note Corey Perry is the most selfish whiner I have ever seen tie up the skates. He does not deserve the fanfare that he is getting.

Sounds like a jealous Kitchener fan to me :loony:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
adamolsen said:

So Hunter is underrated then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad