Dylan Freakin' McIlrath

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was impressed with McIlrath last year.
One, I like tough defensemen.
But I thought he was reasonably good with the puck. Decent first pass. Could rim pucks around and take pucks on the rim around a lot better than Witkowski for instance.

He also had a nice little GA/60 of 1.3. (team average of 2.64)
This year, it's 1.41. (team average of 2.91)
And that's god damn awesome on this team.

His PK GA is great for this team. 4.57 last year. 5.19 this year. Last year we were at 8.36 and this year we are at 11.11.

Here's another stat.
This year, we are 3-1 with McIlrath in the lineup.
Last year we were 5-2 with him in the lineup.

Yeah, he's only playing 13 minutes a night or something. But it seems like he's been a positive influence.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I was impressed with his puck usage, had a couple of really smart little passes that were key to us being able to skate it out of our zone, 2 in the 3rd period if I remember rightly.

Would not object to him staying up in place of someone like Daley. Feel like he could be a good counter balance too Cholowski.

Reactions: gbdet

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guy is a perfect partner for learning Cholowski at the moment. We can shelter him on the 3rd pair and their differencies as a player will compliment themselves. And it gives a perfect handness-duo too.

I could think McIlrath is here to stay, even when Green is let walk, Seider will take that position.

Next season:

LhD DeKeyser - RhD Hronek
LhD Nemeth - RhD Seider
LhD Cholowski - RhD McIlrath
(RhD Bowey?)

Last edited:

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I liked the fact that when Getzlaf went after your star forward, mantha who I think has been told to stop fighting cause of a couple broken hand issues, D mac was the first one to protect him.

Reactions: Go Wings

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Guy is a perfect partner for learning Cholowski at the moment. We can shelter him on the 3rd pair and their differencies as a player will compliment themselves. And it gives a perfect handness-duo too.

I could think McIlrath is here to stay, even when Green is let walk, Seider will took that position.

Next season:

LhD DeKeyser - RhD Hronek
LhD Nemeth - RhD Seider
LhD Cholowski - RhD McIlrath
(RhD Bowey?)

Hopefully Torey Krug gets added next year. He might be ready to go home. If he does join the Wings, they are going to need a big guy to protect him so McIlrath would be nice to have on the team as well.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He is a decent fit in the lineup when we have guys like Cholowski/Hronek/Green, to balance things and give us some size and grit back there. We have a pretty soft defense otherwise, another reason why it's so exciting that Seider has a mean streak.

Reactions: Lil Bert

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He's like a younger version of a 'healthy' Adam McQuaid...Doesn't do anything special - just a decent stay at home guy who makes simply plays, and brings that physical edge.

There's still spots on every NHL roster for these guys...Just ask Babcock :D

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Hopefully Torey Krug gets added next year. He might be ready to go home. If he does join the Wings, they are going to need a big guy to protect him so McIlrath would be nice to have on the team as well.

I don't think that would work out. They wouldn't bring Krug in to play on the 3rd pair where McIlrath belongs.

Reactions: Lil Bert

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
He's been a consummate #6-7 defensemen. Hope he keeps getting time with the big club. He's earned it so far.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think that would work out. They wouldn't bring Krug in to play on the 3rd pair where McIlrath belongs.

I didn't know that it's impossible to play extra shifts with other guys in the game of hockey. :rolleyes:

Krug could be on 3rd pair and have Team-high icetime.

Just like at Boston.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He does seem like hes helped be an improvement on the PK. He clears the crease better than anyone on the roster. Hes not anything special with the puck for sure but as a 6/7 D on a horrible rebuilding team hes more than adequate. Even if he wasnt arguably the toughest player in the entire league, I think his play on the bottom pairing has been more solid than a few guys on the team and would be worth keeping up. Add the fact that hes arguably the toughest player in the league and its definitely worth keeping him around just in case.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He does seem like hes helped be an improvement on the PK. He clears the crease better than anyone on the roster.

Clears the crease better than Hronek, Green, Cholowski, Bowey, Hicketts or Biega.

Don't think he is any better at clearing the crease than Ericsson, Nemeth or DeKeyser. Just at same level and seems to look best when all those other 3 are missing.

As being the only physical righty, McIlrath compliments well this current Cholowski's development process. Any other guy paired with Cholowski would mean some lefty on on the right side, which is always problematic.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I didn't know that it's impossible to play extra shifts with other guys in the game of hockey. :rolleyes:

Krug could be on 3rd pair and have Team-high icetime.

Just like at Boston.
But then bad guys will just wait until he's out on the first pair to beat him up.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
waive neilson to gr and get wiski back from tbay , or some other cheap cop . put helm or who ever as 3c i dont care , his wheels with pelini might be good as a shut down line cuz pellini FLIES . and this was my gripe with the dense holland forever , the players themselves i guarantee want some hitmen around so rats arent out there hacking and chirping them 24/7 . then we have wrath-smith-wiski and disfunctionals such as getzlaf will develop an instant attitude adjustment . this makes the griffs better too sending neilsen there

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
waive neilson to gr and get wiski back from tbay , or some other cheap cop . put helm or who ever as 3c i dont care , his wheels with pelini might be good as a shut down line cuz pellini FLIES . and this was my gripe with the dense holland forever , the players themselves i guarantee want some hitmen around so rats arent out there hacking and chirping them 24/7 . then we have wrath-smith-wiski and disfunctionals such as getzlaf will develop an instant attitude adjustment . this makes the griffs better too sending neilsen there
That’s the dream but dreams never seem to be reality. I wouldn’t be surprised if Yzerman is hoping he can get SOMETHING out of Neilsen on the big club. Sending him to GR would likely finish him as an NHL player. He shouldn’t be this bad. 15 goals and 20 assists shouldn’t be too much to ask for. It’s baffling.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Clears the crease better than Hronek, Green, Cholowski, Bowey, Hicketts or Biega.

Don't think he is any better at clearing the crease than Ericsson, Nemeth or DeKeyser. Just at same level and seems to look best when all those other 3 are missing.

As being the only physical righty, McIlrath compliments well this current Cholowski's development process. Any other guy paired with Cholowski would mean some lefty on on the right side, which is always problematic.

Eh, is DeKyser actually any good at clearing the crease? I mean a stiff breeze could blow the guy over because he doesn't put on any weight.

Reactions: sepster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->