Recalled/Assigned: Dylan Ferguson recalled from WHL Kamloops; trade unlikely

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
https://www.nhl.com/news/injuries-leave-golden-knights-short-on-goalies/c-292458990

From Rosen (last night)
Vegas assistant general manager Kelly McCrimmon said depending on what the medical staff determines about Dansk's injury, the Golden Knights would explore recalling 19-year-old Dylan Ferguson from Kamloops of the Western Hockey League on an emergency basis.
"I think our first choice would be to recall Dylan," McCrimmon said.
Ferguson, who signed an entry-level contract Sept. 28, would have to get from Kamloops to New York in time for a 7 p.m. ET puck drop. He is 4-9-0 with a 4.05 goals-against average and .878 save percentage in 13 appearances with Kamloops this season.
McCrimmon said it's unlikely that the Golden Knights would trade for another goalie.

So, perhaps they'll sign AHL PTO guy to NHL SPC?

https://www.fanragsports.com/golden-knights-calling-up-teenaged-whl-goaltender/
This site has VGK recalling Ferguson.

Hearing on SXM he has been recalled.

Officially recalled

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Is it awful of me that part of me is curious to see Lagace get hurt just to see Ferguson get NHL time? I don't want an injury let me make that clear, I just kinda want to see Ferguson in net

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
No reason to make a trade, since we'd have to find a place for that guy whenever Fleury or Subban come back. Ferguson gets to come up and practice with the team, and get an up-close view of NHL action. Plus, I wonder if he's ever even seen NYC, Boston, Toronto or Montreal - could be really fun for him!

One other option that I haven't really seen mentioned: what about signing Logan Thompson to an ELC? He's right in the age gap between Ferguson and Subban/Dansk, so he could add to our goalie depth in the future. If he plays in less than 10 games - which I imagine he would - we can slide the ELC for another year. Then when he finishes up in the WHL this season, he can be our ECHL goalie next year, while Ferguson can do one more year in Kamloops and have his ELC slide for a second season.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No reason to make a trade, since we'd have to find a place for that guy whenever Fleury or Subban come back. Ferguson gets to come up and practice with the team, and get an up-close view of NHL action. Plus, I wonder if he's ever even seen NYC, Boston, Toronto or Montreal - could be really fun for him!

One other option that I haven't really seen mentioned: what about signing Logan Thompson to an ELC? He's right in the age gap between Ferguson and Subban/Dansk, so he could add to our goalie depth in the future. If he plays in less than 10 games - which I imagine he would - we can slide the ELC for another year. Then when he finishes up in the WHL this season, he can be our ECHL goalie next year, while Ferguson can do one more year in Kamloops and have his ELC slide for a second season.

Thompson is 20, only a year older than Ferguson. Probably best to wait until the spring (after WHL RS) if the team wants to sign him. Has he been invited to any NHL development camps? Been involved in any prospect tournaments/games? Could be he's not "good enough" to go pro.

Ferguson was drafted 2 summers ago, so he could play in WHL as overager next season, but why? His contract would NOT slide next year (only can at 18 or 19) and it will count against active NHL contracts.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I bet you Ferguson never thought in a million years he'd be in the NHL, eating amazing meals and be treated like a king this year.

From juniors to the NHL...quite the jump in every aspect lol. At least he's able to leave that tirefire in Kamloops for a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

DeathOfAHockeyTown

Oct 23, 2017
Thompson is 20, only a year older than Ferguson. Probably best to wait until the spring (after WHL RS) if the team wants to sign him. Has he been invited to any NHL development camps? Been involved in any prospect tournaments/games? Could be he's not "good enough" to go pro.
Wasn't Logan Thompson at the VGK Developmental camp together with Ferguson-Outhouse-Patera-Pavliukov-Zhukov or did I miss something?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thompson was at camp on an invite, but he's not under contract.

I'm not even sure he's on the non-roster players list right now.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Jaffrey on NHLN NHL Now with more details from GMGM... They're hoping to get someone back within 7-10 days. (e.g., Dansk, MAF; Subban out for 2-3 weeks still)
So for now, not looking at trade. Has heard from half a dozen GMs, kicking the tires.

So, if they need someone when they finish road trip, then there might be a trade.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Reto Berra on waivers, GMGM almost has to take him way things are going. His cap hit is almost nothing and seriously you can't keep up morale by playing an AHLer and a WHLer.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
I agree with Willy the players are doing everything possible to keep lanes open and blocking shots etc... but the stats/record of the latest 4 th goalie shows a second stringer most of career with the Vegas management hoping they can pull off a third miracle magic goalie situation after Dansk and Subban.
The team isnt the same with no forward motion push just backing off and surounding the fort.
Morale killer is right.
Too bad because they could of easily won 2 out of these 3 games pushing the play forward as normal

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Reto Berra on waivers, GMGM almost has to take him way things are going. His cap hit is almost nothing and seriously you can't keep up morale by playing an AHLer and a WHLer.

Berra also has experience starting games and wouldn't so shaky to watch in net.

It's literally GMGM's best move. A free asset.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
The problem is it's a "free" assest that we have to pay and put somewhere after he isn't needed. Hopefully Fluery is back in a few days, maybe by the end of the roady and then he can take the net back over. Then Subban in a couple weeks after that. Unless one of the injuries is long term and the guy won't be back for a couple of months, there is no reason to pick up a goalie.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The problem is it's a "free" assest that we have to pay and put somewhere after he isn't needed. Hopefully Fluery is back in a few days, maybe by the end of the roady and then he can take the net back over. Then Subban in a couple weeks after that. Unless one of the injuries is long term and the guy won't be back for a couple of months, there is no reason to pick up a goalie.

Maybe if you are tanking there is no reason. Berra could play until MAF is ready and then back up for a few weeks as they can take their time with Subban and then send Subban to Chicago for a few starts before he comes back up. At that point they can waive him and if he clears you put him in Chicago where he stays insurance for the year playing backup to Dansk. I think Lagace should really be at the ECHL starting, he won't be getting much time if everyone is healthy and he's a long way from ready for big things. Anyways at a 700k cap hit Berra is cheap enough that even in the minors his contract isn't a problem and if guys get hurt again he can be used instead of forcing up young guys who need a year or two at a lower level

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
willy - sounds good. But this is an expansion team who doesn't have a lot of depth. And they may not have budgeted for more than 4 goalies (being paid).

I don't think the team is that focused on wins insofar as they're working on putting a great game experience for fans and hoping for more luck in winning games. Luck and Gallant's efforts in pulling disparate-background players together did a great job through first three weeks of season.

What the near future holds depends on when MAF and/or Dansk will be ready to play again. I haven't heard that MAF has started to practice; and no word on Dansk (back in Vegas) and how he's recovering from LBI.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So will Ferguson get a game with the upcoming back to back on the road?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad