TBN: Dylan Cozens' late start to Sabres camp not a 'negative,' says GM Kevyn Adams

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dylan Cozens' late start to Sabres camp not a 'negative,' says GM Kevyn Adams

While Krueger expressed hope that Cozens and Canada teammate Jack Quinn, the Sabres’ recent first-round draft pick, can participate in the Sabres’ intrasquad scrimmage Jan. 9, it’s possible both players won’t arrive until a few days before the 56-game regular season begins Jan. 14.

Adams doesn't have any second thought about allowing Cozens to participate in the WJC's:
“We felt very strongly that putting our players with the unknown, uncertainty of all the leagues, and even at the time, the NHL, we didn’t have a hard date yet, giving someone like Dylan the structure, the competition day in, day out – not just in the games but the practices – of being part of that experience of being a part of Team Canada was going to be incredibly helpful both in the short term and the long term. So for me to support him and the chance to be on Team Canada, be in a leadership role, feel that little bit of pressure, what it feels like on that stage again with everybody watching, I thought was just a great growth opportunity. So, I don’t see in any way it impacting in a negative of him coming to Buffalo and his chances, because to be honest with you, he’s now had a long runway to be in game shape and playing and competing. I look at it as a positive.”

Krueger seems to agree:
“We’re excited to see what Dylan is doing there as a leader. Jack Quinn has been excellent. If you have a chance, JJ Peterka from Germany has had an outstanding start so far. We need to see how they come off the world championships. We will have time. … We’re in no rush. Let’s let it happen organically. What we’d like to do is to bring especially Dylan and Jack to camp and see where everybody else is at that time. It will be a week, at least, into camp and hopefully we can see them in our second intrasquad game.”

Adams is pleased with the way Cozens has matured:
“In terms of his game individually, I think he’s a player that’s we’ve seen grow, over let’s say, last 12 months. Well, I guess a year and a half now since he was drafted and round out his game. He’s going to continue to get better. It’s a great start for him in the World Juniors, and I love the fact that he’s a go-to guy there. I love the fact that he’s obviously producing offensively. But what I really enjoyed the other night, in a one-goal game, with a minute and a half to go, he’s on the ice when they’re up a goal. So, it says a lot about his 200-foot game and the coach, obviously believes in him.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad