Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Save us Dylan Cozens, you’re our only hope.
Unfortunately I think that’s the Sabres office’s view too. If they can get a 2nd line Centre then Cozens can come in and develop. If they expect him to be the 2LC then I hope it doesn’t break him with too much too soon.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
WHL announces 2019-20 Conference First All-Star Teams – WHL Network

All_Star_EAST_1st_Team-730x411.jpg

Forward Dylan Cozens (Lethbridge Hurricanes): With 85 points (38G-47A) in 51 games, Hurricanes co-captain Cozens ranked second in Eastern Conference scoring and seventh in league scoring. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound product of Whitehorse, Yukon was tied for the league lead in short-handed goals with four and recorded five four-point games as part of 23 multi-point efforts throughout 2019-20. A prospect of the Buffalo Sabres, the 19-year-old Cozens has recorded 223 points (95G-128A) in 179 WHL regular season games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wheeler: The top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2020...

1. Dylan Cozens, C, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — 7th overall, 2019)

This one was agonizing because Cozens doesn’t have a star-level quality that some of the six players that follow him on this list do. I can see outcomes for each of the next half dozen names in my ranking where they go on to have a higher ceiling than Cozens. Other things, like that Cozens is going to have to play behind Jack Eichel (while Trevor Zegras and Cole Caufield have a more direct trajectory to the first line within their organizations) and may not reach his full ceiling as a result, can creep in and cloud your judgment if you let them, too. But I tried to remind myself that I’m less interested in what he isn’t than what he is — or that organizational circumstances shouldn’t play too pronounced a role in my evaluation of his skillset. With all of that in mind, I began to give Cozens the slight edge over his peers at the top because of his unique blend of straight line speed and puckhandling ability for his size, as well as his improved finishing touch. For every defining skill that some of the other players atop my ranking had, they often also had traits that could prevent them from maximizing those standout tools. Cozens had fewer holes, which made me ever so slightly more confident in his ability to reach the top of his projection.

Well, we've been down this road before...

:sarcasm:

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

I will still take Cozens or Zegras all day over Caufield. Yes, I know he had a nice year in college. It's just a preference thing. Cozens doesn't have one stellar thing, he does everything overly well. He's also abit further along than Casey was at this point in his career in my opinion. He's being handled properly.

Reactions: VaporTrail

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I trust Cozen's shown work ethic more than Mittelstadt's, but yes. This is a trap, Kim and Terry.

Cozens may be the answer to 2C, and soon, but don't base the next season on it, or any season for that matter.
I wouldn’t worry too much about Cozens getting rushed with Krueger here. He has been very protective of young players.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn’t worry too much about Cozens getting rushed with Krueger here. He has is very protective of young players.

Now that Krueger is de-facto in charge, I agree.

Prospects will have to earn their spots. (As it should be)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I will still take Cozens or Zegras all day over Caufield. Yes, I know he had a nice year in college. It's just a preference thing. Cozens doesn't have one stellar thing, he does everything overly well. He's also abit further along than Casey was at this point in his career in my opinion. He's being handled properly.
Cozens is definitely ahead of Mitts at the same point. IIRC Mitts NHLe was around 26/27 at Minny. Whereas Cozens NHLe this past year was 41.

Prior to joining us (pre and post draft), Mitts really didn’t have any numbers that were all that amazing outside of World Juniors.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Casey would have dominated the WHL as well.
No he wouldn't have.

Casey didn't even dominate in the USHL in his half season there during his draft year (24gms 30pts). A league that's a step below the WHL. He followed that up with a solid, but certainly not dominant, season in Minny. Mitts hasn't come close to dominating any league outside of HS.

Cozens had a good but not dominant draft year (68gms 84pts/NHLe of 31). Then followed that up with the monster season he just had (51gms 85pts/NHLe of 41). The second half of that season he was flirting with almost 2pts per game.

To further bring home the disparity between the two of them in their post draft seasons. In order for Mitts to have had a similar NHLe to Cozens (41). He would have needed 51pts in those 34gms. Not the 30pts he did.

Here are two different NHLe calculators if you want to play around with it.
The NHLe Calculator (Updated 04/11/2019)
NHLe Calculator - Frozen Tools

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
No he wouldn't have.

Casey didn't even dominate in the USHL in his half season there during his draft year (24gms 30pts). A league that's a step below the WHL. He followed that up with a solid, but certainly not dominant, season in Minny. Mitts hasn't come close to dominating any league outside of HS.

I wouldnt say he dominated either, but I disagree with some of what you imply. The WHL is a step above the USHL but scoring is also higher in the WHL. And if you look at the draft eligibles that scored at a higher rate from the USHL, almost all of them played for team USA's stacked teams, while next best green bay player had 46 points in 56 games. So he was playing at a relatively high level compared to his peers. I didnt like the pick when we made it, basically for the reasons you stated, but there are some caveats that can't be overlooked.

Cozens had a good but not dominant draft year (68gms 84pts/NHLe of 31). Then followed that up with the monster season he just had (51gms 85pts/NHLe of 41). The second half of that season he was flirting with almost 2pts per game.

To further bring home the disparity between the two of them in their post draft seasons. In order for Mitts to have had a similar NHLe to Cozens (41). He would have needed 51pts in those 34gms. Not the 30pts he did.

Here are two different NHLe calculators if you want to play around with it.
The NHLe Calculator (Updated 04/11/2019)
NHLe Calculator - Frozen Tools
It seems like sometimes NHLe is one of those things that is used if it backs up our opinions. If we are going to use it to validate Cozens' play, more people should be on board the Seth Jarvis hype train.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wouldnt say he dominated either, but I disagree with some of what you imply. The WHL is a step above the USHL but scoring is also higher in the WHL. And if you look at the draft eligibles that scored at a higher rate from the USHL, almost all of them played for team USA's stacked teams, while next best green bay player had 46 points in 56 games. So he was playing at a relatively high level compared to his peers. I didnt like the pick when we made it, basically for the reasons you stated, but there are some caveats that can't be overlooked.

It seems like sometimes NHLe is one of those things that is used if it backs up our opinions. If we are going to use it to validate Cozens' play, more people should be on board the Seth Jarvis hype train.

I think you're seeing things in my post that aren't there.

I don't think Mitts would have dominated the WHL. He hasn't dominated any league since HS (which you agree with). I compared the play of Mitts/Cozens in their pre and post draft seasons using NHLe to help make the point. I used NHLe to show the gap between what each did in their respective post draft seasons. I only used NHLe because its one of the few tools that can be used to compare production from different minor leagues. Anything you feel I'm implying beyond that was not intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Cozens looks like the kind of player who can take over the play...Mitts has never really showed that to me

Not sure if I'd want his speed at 2C or on Jack's wing.

Obviously if he ends up with Eichel we'd probably need Mitts or this year's pick to pan out for the 2nd line. Or maybe a trade/put Sam there.

VO/Skinner - Eichel - Cozens/Pick(Lundel?)/Sam

V/S - Sam/Coz/Pick - Sam/Coz/Pick

Pick and Cozens may take a year or two.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

Obviously if he ends up with Eichel we'd probably need Mitts or this year's pick to pan out for the 2nd line. Or maybe a trade/put Sam there.

If he pans out an Eichel 1C and Cozens 2C could be deadly

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019

Holtz

skinner-eichel-holtz
Oloffson-cozens-reinhart 2021

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Raymond or Rossi are their select them I doubt they are though.

I've bought into this idea the last few days that Rossi could be, because of Sanderson.

xxxAlexis Lafrenière
LAKQuinton Byfield
OTTTim Stützle
DETCole Perfetti
OTTJamie Drysdale
ANALucas Raymond
NJDJake Sanderson
BUFMarco Rossi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't see that result as a longshot, and it would be a fantastic result.

All's the same though. My guys are Rossi, Raymond, and Lundell. Any of those 3, it's a great 1st pick.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
I've bought into this idea the last few days that Rossi could be, because of Sanderson.

xxxAlexis Lafrenière
LAKQuinton Byfield
OTTTim Stützle
DETCole Perfetti
OTTJamie Drysdale
ANALucas Raymond
NJDJake Sanderson
BUFMarco Rossi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't see that result as a longshot, and it would be a fantastic result.

All's the same though. My guys are Rossi, Raymond, and Lundell. Any of those 3, it's a great 1st pick.
I’ll be one happy camper if we walk out with Rossi / Raymond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad