Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Pronman's analysis of the pick:

In Cozens, the Sabres get a potential high-end power forward who can bring a unique blend of speed, size, compete and skill to an NHL team. He’s a true top prospect, was my best player available at that spot and provides something unique to that organization they don’t have in their current forward group. He’s close to NHL ready and might just need one more year of junior.

gvandeke

Apr 1, 2015
I haven't read any draft articles. I haven't jumped on any hype trains.

I just read the draft rankings from hockey people I respect, and then read the commentary on Cozens.

I'm happy. He's a good prospect, with lots of upside. His size aside, people write about his speed, hockey sense, and offensive ability. Potential 1C.

It's a good pick. Even if it's not the pick you would have made, he's a damn good prospect. Don't sour his thread.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Just want you want to here about... you're #31 pick.... oh wait...

An NHL scout said: “I love his speed, size and compete. I think he has offense, but I’m not sure if the puck game or vision will be anything special in the NHL.”

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Posted this in the Cozens thread. Figured I’d post it here too.

Dylan Cozens Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #6 - Last Word on Hockey
Dylan Cozens also sees the ice very well. He controls the puck in the cycle game before dishing to an open teammate. His hockey IQ is excellent, as he anticipates where his teammates are headed and is able to set them up for good scoring chances. He can control the puck and has the patience to slow down the play and the instinct to speed it up in order to create openings depending on the situation. His vision and skill allow him to quarterback the power play on the half boards. Without the puck, Cozens finds soft spots in the defence and gets himself open to make a play. He is also effective at battling for loose pucks in the corners and along the boards.

Dylan Cozens

Cozens plays a heavy, fast, and intelligent game

2019 NHL Draft profile: Dylan Cozens scouting report

I’m impressed with his hockey IQ as well. Cozens is an underrated passer who can create chances for his teammates. I’d say he’s better at finishing chances than creating them, but that’s more of a testament to his shooting.
Cozens defense stands out too. He might be the second-best defensive center in this draft other than Turcotte.

2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Dylan Cozens

“He combines all aspects of skating, quickness, acceleration, balance, agility, into one dynamic package that’s allows him to dictate things rather than play reactionary. Cozens is a capable stick handler who can control the puck at high speeds before making the proper decision more times than not.” – Steve Kournianos ~ The draft analyst

“One of the best skaters in the draft, and he has a high level of skill, intelligence and compete in his game that can be deployed in any situation and competes very hard every shift.” Corey Pronman ~ The Athletic

“He’s a difference maker. He’s very fast and utilizes his speed very well. His playmaking abilities are exceptional. He’s a reliable two-way player.” - Lethbridge Hurricanes coach Brent Kisio

The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: C/W Dylan Cozens

Cozens is a capable stickhandler who can control the puck at high speeds before making proper decisions more times than not, and he’s very good at setting up give-and-go’s that position him for one-timers or tap-ins.

He’s quick enough, however, to eventually catch up and place himself in the right position to ensure there aren’t gaps in coverage.

Dylan Cozens at eliteprospects.com

He plays a mature two-way game, is extremely competitive, and possesses subtly high-end hockey sense that allows him to impact the game, EPrinkside.com 2019

He is a gifted playmaker with great vision, able to make simple plays and complex ones with the same degree of success, McKeen's Hockey 2019

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
The Hockey News rated him 3rd overall so yep he definitely sucks.

Oh brother, the comments from the clown car.

Attachments

• B8B95546-9B18-4AC2-8202-E3CDE15F500D.png
    B8B95546-9B18-4AC2-8202-E3CDE15F500D.png
    559.6 KB · Views: 16

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I love that he plays a nice north-south game with speed. He can make beautiful music with Reinhart. I had my sights set on Zegras or Caulfield, but Cozens may be just what this team needs.

Reactions: cramdizzl

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
How many have you actually seen this kid play? Seriously? I saw him around 10 times.High skill excellent hands,great skater,nice shot and good defensively.Great pick!
He’s a good player. The point is there were potentially special players on the board. It’s a safe pick for a safe organization that too often backs in to choices. There were 4 forwards on the board that I think have better qualities. Scouts, GMs are too fixated on size. I liked each of Boldy, Krebs, Zegras and Caufield better. A lot better.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I mean........that cross isn't exactly a bad player. Sounds like the type of player that would fit nicely with Mitts or Sam.

To be worth 7th, he'll need to develop chemistry with Jack and get that McDavid/Draisaitl effect.

If he tops out as a 50 point 2nd line winger... it's not exactly what you want out of a top 7 pick....

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
He’s a good player. The point is there were potentially special players on the board. It’s a safe pick for a safe organization that too often backs in to choices. There were 4 forwards on the board that I think have better qualities. Scouts, GMs are too fixated on size. I liked each of Boldy, Krebs, Zegras and Caufield better. A lot better.

And yet when talking about him, these same scouts talked about a lot more than his size, so your comment isn’t logical for that part of it.

I can understand maybe thinking another player might be slightly better, but the level of angst by some in this thread is mind boggling.

Reactions: gvandeke

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
That's your opinion and i respect it.I like all of them myself but i definitely disagree with you saying the other players you mentioned were much better and the rankings along with McKenzie and Pronman who i defer to disagree with you as well.Only time will tell i guess

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dylan welcome to Buffalo! I don't know, I'm still satisfied. :)

NHL Draft Central Cozens estimates:

Skating - 5
Shooting - 5
Passing - 4
Stick-handling - 4
Defensive game - 4
Physicality - 4
Hockey IQ - 4
Competitiveness - 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad