Dustin Tokarski

Lightningz

Sep 26, 2013
Östersund
So.. Tokarski has been making quite a few headlines.. Got me thinking again.. why the hell Yzerman traded Tokarski for DESJARDINS? Tokarski has by no means been absolutely incredible but has been a lot lot better then Desjardins.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I'm not sweating it, Tokarski will never be that good and now the Lightning have a logjam of G prospects.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
SFY was lucky with Bishop but Anders was a bad trade for us and it would have been Nice to get a draft pick back for Dustin.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
This was SFY's biggest mistake in my mind. That being said, there is also a lot of hindsight in this trade. I think everyone knew that Tik was the better goalie in the trade, and should have been traded for picks, but at the time, there prolly werent any picks available in a trade. Dont forget that Tik was having a pretty mediocre season when he was traded, it was a weak market for goalies, and I had also heard that he was having some issues with the organization (I dont remember what was happening exactly). Its easy to say now that it was a big miss, but at the time, it seemed pretty lateral. If we didnt have Gudles, Vasii, and Wilcox in our system, it would be a much bigger issue to me.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
CDJ was a favorite of Boucher's and Boucher wanted CDJ as a 3rd goalie over Tokarski. Tic isn't good enough to really fret over, especially since if we didn't make the trade Tokarski would likely not get a contract last offseason and certainly wouldn't get one this year. If this was Yzerman's biggest mistake (it's not) then Yzerman is a pretty great GM.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
goalies are hard I get why the deal was made. I didnt like the deal but understood it and basically they were showing to be lifetime back ups both of them and desjy was closer so for emergency call ups he was better option.

Was a mistake not a huge one and it happens. Especially with goalies good news is we have a few good ones now. I am happy for TIK and hope he does well. I wish we had him as the back up next year but hindsight as everyone says is 20/20

Yet you cannot put this on on stevie or even boucher. You got to add the others involved in evaluation? We really question one goalie coach. How much input he had you have to question etc..

Hopefully that gets figured out sometime:)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What it really cost us was the Calder cup last year, Desjardins struggled in the finals and we all know how Tokarski does in big games. With that said neither was gonna be more then a backup for us or any other team in the league. Like Bish said Desjardins was a Boucher guy so he deserves more of the blame then SY, SY did pull the trigger but you need to appease the coach sometimes.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The thinking was Desjardins was a better option as the #3 goalie. Garon was on the decline and Lindback wasn't giving Yzerman much confidence either. Maybe Boucher was feeling some heat at the time, but he specifically wanted his guy. He was Boucher's #1 in Rimouski when they were in the QMJHL, and in Hamilton back in the Habs organization, and once again he wanted him on the bolts in 2010-11. And he could have played a bigger role in 2011 and beyond if he hadn't gotten injuried.

There's no question Tokarski is a big game goalie. If there's one thing he's proved, it's that he thrives in those types of games. I think we all liked Tokarski when he was here, but with Bishop who just had a Vezina caliber season, and an incredible goalie prospect pool including Vasilevskiy, Gudlevskis, Janus, and Wilcox I'm perfectly fine with what we have right now.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
To be fair, when Tik got his shot with us, he only played like what? 3-4 games? Didn't perform well but I think most of us wanted to see more from him. Was disappointed to see him go and I never liked CDJ.

I really dislike CDJ now because we moved Ramo who is now a starter in the NHL (even though he seemed like he was going to stay in the K') and Tik for him.

Oh well, our net problems seem to be solved so whatevs'

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Tik just had 2 good games... it's like when Lindback had a good week.

It was just that, a good week.

Tik is a career back-up

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Does Yzerman pull that trade again if he has the chance? No. Does he regret the deal? No. This organization is flooding with quality goalie prospects in Vasi and Guds when it already has a Vezina nominated goalie with the big club. NBD.

Yzerman's worst move was 2 second rounders and that third for Lindback which isn't even that bad a move anyway. We had four second rounders that round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad