Dustin Slade

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
There's no draft listing for him on HockeyDB? Am I right in assuming he went undrafted? He's put up impressive numbers throughout his career. Unfortunately I live in an area with no WHL coverage so I can't really see him play. Any reason this guy has not found a taker?

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
There's no draft listing for him on HockeyDB? Am I right in assuming he went undrafted? He's put up impressive numbers throughout his career. Unfortunately I live in an area with no WHL coverage so I can't really see him play. Any reason this guy has not found a taker?

the last time I heard... he was an undrafted prospect of the Nashville Predators, but they have yet to sign him.

patsfan29

Jul 30, 2006
Regina
Dustin Slade is undrafted. He did attend training camp with the Canucks this year however.

Although my observations/opinions are only based on his play in the dub there is no doubt that this kid has got skill. Hes acrobatic, got quick reflexes, loves to flash the glove hand, and is utterly amazing when faced with a 2-on-1 situation.

His anger management, however, may or may not be part of the reason (if not THE reason) he was passed over in the draft. Which is unfortunate for him b/c IMO he's turned things around with respect to his attitude immensely. When he played for Kamloops, fans pretty much summed it up by saying he went banana's almost every night, but I'll always remember Slade's first game as a Pat, absolutely no help from team mates, pucks being shot at him from every direction at point blank range and he stopped everyone of them...only time I've seen the dome give a dub player a standing O...and he deserved it. However, during his short stint with the Pats, it soon became well known around the league that if you ran this kid all hell was going to break loose...and during that season, Slade was everything the Pats had....you got to Slade you pretty much add another point to the W column. He constantly swung at the defenders, ran his mouth far too much (at times added theatrical bowing directed towards the refs, sarcastically thanking them on a job well done) and tended to use his blocker as a boxing glove. There was no doubt that Slade could win games all on his own, however, and that made him a very valuable aspect of our team. Although as good as he was and as entertaining as his blowups could be, the penalties and game misconducts he received because of them weren't worth it and he was shipped off to the BCHL until the Pats could make a trade for him (Later came the Matt Robinson for Dustin Slade deal, allowing Dustin back into the league as a Giant). Since then Slade has matured alot and has realized that mind must be focused on the game...although i have heard that his fiesty flashes can pop up every once in awhile. The kid is a one hell of a goalie, but with some baggage.

slade.jpg

Last edited:

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
he plays behind one of the best teams, faces like 15 shots a game, any WHL calibre goalie would put up those kind of numbers with shots like that. His stance is strange, his temper is bad and he's an all around weird guy. Well coached and plays a sound positional game, just nothing special.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
he plays behind one of the best teams, faces like 15 shots a game, any WHL calibre goalie would put up those kind of numbers with shots like that. His stance is strange, his temper is bad and he's an all around weird guy. Well coached and plays a sound positional game, just nothing special.

His stance is indeed weird. Reminds me a bit of Cechmanek...

michail76

Oct 26, 2006
Greater Vancouver
I have been covering both Vancouver Giants and Vancouver Canucks for a Hockey Magazine. Even though some people will attack Dustin Slade seeing him play live this season, has made me think that he is past his old days style of hockey and I am sure he could be a good backup goalie for any AHL team if not even for most NHL team a few years down the road.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Had a poor camp with the Canucks. Doesn't cover enough net and relies too much on reflexes. Very doubtful NHL prospect.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
about his stance, its strange because he's so upright and feet are very close together, but he's got great lateral movement, very strange but it works for him. Still think he's not an NHL capable goaltender but I could be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad