Dustin Jeffrey.... ??

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
12th in OHL scoring: 26 goals, 36 assists in 44 gp... anyone know why he is rated 175th among North American skaters? I've seen this guy play 3 times now this year and he has been the best player in each game... last time I saw him play he had 4 or 5 points. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time, and is clearly finding his groove in the OHL and producing on a below-average team in the standings and in terms of talent (Soo Greyhounds).

Again, why such a low rank? Even without watching him play, you would have to be stupid to take him that low (175th not including european goalies/skaters and north american goalies)... I think the team that gets him that low (hopefully Calgary!) will get a pretty big steal. I was going to say maybe it is his size, but he is 6'2" 205 pounds, again I'm flabbergasted; kind of reminds me of the time when the Kingston Frontenacs' players all so highly touted last year slipping in the draft: Emmerton, Hughes and Shutron... Chris Stewart went the highest and he's having the worst season out of all of them.

Someone help me out please!

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
Yes I realize that, and sometimes I understand that players slip for that reason, but sometimes they rise.... it means they may be a year closer to being ready?

Still I don't see any justification for him being THAT low...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks. But, I was looking for more of a scouting report regarding his present season and possible future in the NHL.

Maybe I can help you again. I've seen a decent amount of Jeffrey over the past few seasons. I really like him as a player, maybe even more so than Caputi. I don't think he's going to be a star, but I think he can be a solid 2nd line center. I think he may even be more projectable on the wing, but he's a very good faceoff guy so it'd be hard to take that away from him. He's basically a very solid all around offensive player (I guess similar to Caputi in that sense). He's got a good hockey sense, he's an excellent playmaker and makes the players around him better. He is a pretty good skater (not great), who can take the puck to the net with solid moves. He is also pretty dangerous in the goal area. As someone already said, in order to have success in the pros, he's going to have to bulk up and become more physically involved. He doesn't have to become a bruiser, but he's got to work harder along the boards and become more involved in cycle play, especially as a center at the next level. He's also got to work on his defensive game (partially why I said he may be more projectable as a winger), but it's not necessarily terrible either. Another thing is that he needs to get a bit quicker too. Not necessarily more agile, as hes a good skater, its just his straight away speed which may need to improve to be a center in the NHL.

I think he's going to take a few years in the AHL before he makes the NHL fulltime, but I think he can turn out to be a pretty solid secondary scoring option for the Pens. In terms of a comparison, I'm not really sure. Maybe someone else can come up with one.

RottenScoundrel

Jan 24, 2008
Up on the Hill
Maybe I can help you again. I've seen a decent amount of Jeffrey over the past few seasons. I really like him as a player, maybe even more so than Caputi. I don't think he's going to be a star, but I think he can be a solid 2nd line center. I think he may even be more projectable on the wing, but he's a very good faceoff guy so it'd be hard to take that away from him. He's basically a very solid all around offensive player (I guess similar to Caputi in that sense). He's got a good hockey sense, he's an excellent playmaker and makes the players around him better. He is a pretty good skater (not great), who can take the puck to the net with solid moves. He is also pretty dangerous in the goal area. As someone already said, in order to have success in the pros, he's going to have to bulk up and become more physically involved. He doesn't have to become a bruiser, but he's got to work harder along the boards and become more involved in cycle play, especially as a center at the next level. He's also got to work on his defensive game (partially why I said he may be more projectable as a winger), but it's not necessarily terrible either. Another thing is that he needs to get a bit quicker too. Not necessarily more agile, as hes a good skater, its just his straight away speed which may need to improve to be a center in the NHL.

I think he's going to take a few years in the AHL before he makes the NHL fulltime, but I think he can turn out to be a pretty solid secondary scoring option for the Pens. In terms of a comparison, I'm not really sure. Maybe someone else can come up with one.
Thanks again. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->