Injury Report: Dustin Byfuglien (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
At least we're banking points and capspace.

If the grievance goes buff's way and we have to go back and pay him, how does the capspace work?

Not great. We'd put him on LTIR but that only allows you to go over the cap by the amount of the players salary. (There are currently 12 teams doing this.) You don't accumulate any capspace in a LTIR scenario though, which we do if he's suspended. We won't be sunk by any means, but there won't be room for a trade deadline acquisition either unless it's equal salary going both ways.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not great. We'd put him on LTIR but that only allows you to go over the cap by the amount of the players salary. (There are currently 12 teams doing this.) You don't accumulate any capspace in a LTIR scenario though, which we do if he's suspended. We won't be sunk by any means, but there won't be room for a trade deadline acquisition either unless it's equal salary going both ways.
Would we retroactively lose the room we've already accumulated?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Buff's ankles should be totally perfect by February.

Trust me I am a doctor. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif
This is too funny by the way , although i have seen some girls leaving the bar the exact same way . CAREFUL is what i usually say . :laugh:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Oooh, I love a good quiz!

A. No, I'm 6' 3", man.
B. No, 200 lbs
C. No, but I can run quickly, have a nice Newtonian telescope, and can cook a mean Chicken Marsala if push comes to shove.

I'm not picking up on the telescope reference but Newtonian? Geez, apochromatic refractor ftw man!

m.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Would we retroactively lose the room we've already accumulated?

Potentially. If it is determined that Buff should have been on IR from the beginning, then all our accumulated space would disappear and we would retroactively place Buff on LTIR at the start of the season.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I think it's pretty clear he's not planning on playing again, he just wants to go the LTIRetired route and get paid (which I'm fine with and would've been alright if he followed procedure).

Regardless, there's no chance he speaks to the media while there's a grievance pending resolution. He could only hurt his chances by doing so.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It seems to be a common assumption that Buff will never play again, which puzzles me. How does one come upon this certainty?

I'm not picking up on the telescope reference but Newtonian? Geez, apochromatic refractor ftw man!
m.

Merely listing qualities. Apochromat you say - perhaps, but this scope has a Carl Zambuto made primary optic, with a .97 Strehl ratio and 1/10 lambda P-V @550 nm.

Reactions: DRC and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I just listened to the Dreger/Ferraro podcast from after the grievance was announced and Ferraro was adamant in his belief that Buff wouldn't play again for the Jets. :dunno:

I still think we don't know enough about whats actually happened to make any sort of proclamations one way or the other.

Well where's the fun in that?

I'm on the same page in that I just don't see enough information to actually lead me to a conclusion either way. I've seen boatloads of speculation but nothing remotely concrete.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think it's pretty clear he's not planning on playing again, he just wants to go the LTIRetired route and get paid (which I'm fine with and would've been alright if he followed procedure).

Regardless, there's no chance he speaks to the media while there's a grievance pending resolution. He could only hurt his chances by doing so.

There was no chance Buff is going to speak to the media on a good day. There is zero chance he's going to speak to the media when there is a lawyer somewhere telling him not to.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
At least we're banking points and capspace.

If the grievance goes buff's way and we have to go back and pay him, how does the capspace work?
We'll be forced to immediately trade Laine and Scheifele to Vegas for a bag of expired chocolate-covered raisins, but Vegas will be able to defer their cap hit until the Devil has collected the payment McPhee owes him.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I do miss a good ol' Buff smash, but I also love that our team is commited playing the game, with a D-core that before I got really into this, I would have just stare at the emtiness and asked "Who's that guy... and that one?" maybe a couple more times.

Though this handicappes us in a way. Team has shown that sometimes it's all you need is a group effort. Doesn't hurt that the dude that standing in between pipes probably has Vezinas in his sleeps, and acts like it on the ice. And Croisant ain't that bad either. Some other teams would love some goaltending. Glad we got some, and we ain't sharing!

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Do we have any sense of when this might get resolved? It has massive implications for the Jet's salary cap and what the can/can't do at the trade deadline. I've heard nothing about timelines.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Do we have any sense of when this might get resolved? It has massive implications for the Jet's salary cap and what the can/can't do at the trade deadline. I've heard nothing about timelines.
League likely drags it out one way or another and somehow it screws the Jets over is what I am thinking happens...just because it’s the NHL.

Reactions: Huffer

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
League likely drags it out one way or another and somehow it screws the Jets over is what I am thinking happens...just because it’s the NHL.

If it does, the NHL isn't doing it to screw over the Jets, they're doing it to protect themselves in the case of a similar situation in the future. The league will do what's best for the Board of Governors, and Chipman is on the executive committee - the league won't be screwing him over. The process might make it difficult for them but it won't be because they don't care about how the Jets season goes.

Reactions: hn777

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

This has nothing to do with the Jets being deliberately screwed by the NHL, they just happen to be the team caught up in it... it could have been any team. The NHL can't have the season ending medicals being of no value, so they are going to drag this out until it's resolved in their favour.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Lets hope chevy can move him for a first and a prospect at the deadline. I think we have moved on from him as a jet

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Buff has put on weight ,enjoying himself fishing and the outdoors.
Buff has No intention of returning to playing hockey.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I still want Buff back , he's only under contract for 1 season after this one and replacing Boo Boo with Buff makes that defense waaaaaay better .

Reactions: Evil Little
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad