Proposal: Dustin Brown to CBJ (hypothetical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is a just for fun offseason thread guys.

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION
In the preseason, Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar collide with each other head first at high speed and both suffer severe concussions. Los Angeles regretfully announces that the future of Doughty and Kopitar's careers are in question and both will sit out for this season (at least).

In this scenario, I think it's safe to say that the Kings' cup window has closed. Now looking towards the future, Lombardi proposes the following trade to Kekelainen...

DUSTIN BROWN (40% retained)
JONATHAN QUICK

in exchange for

DAVID CLARKSON (50% retained)
SERGEI BOBROVSKY
Oscar Dansk
conditional 2018 pick

Conditional pick is 2nd/3rd/4th based on Bob's next two seasons. If he does well, only a 4th is given. If he fails to perform a 2nd is given. In between a 3rd rounder.

Why the Kings do it...
- Contract flexibility (!!!)
- Get younger in net
- Add a goalie prospect + pick
- Quick will be old by next LAK playoff game

Why the Jackets do it...
- Jon effing Quick
- Playoffs (!!!) (because of Quick)

Why both teams do it...
- 50% of Clarkson's contract is much more tradeable than either full contract, and 60% of Brown's contract is much more tradeable than Brown's full contract. By swapping the two with heavy/full retention, both instantly become more moveable in the future.

How far off is the value?

I debated over adding the pick in for quite a while. I feel like Kings would refuse to downgrade Quick to Bob without a pick, but Jackets would refuse to take on Brown AND add a pick. One side demanding a pick and the other refusing to give it, resulting in no deal.

Or I'm way way off. Just curious what people think.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Equally plausible scenario:

Aliens arrive on earth.

Turns out they were here 20 years ago and with them they have a 20 year old Chris Pronger clone, made from Pronger's dna.

The NHL decides that the clone belongs to the Coyotes.

Coyotes fans are thrilled. Unfortunately the clone grew up in the cold, vast, empty darkness of space so he demands a trade to an NHL city where he can feel right at home; Edmonton.

What should Arizona demand from Edmonton in exchange for Chris-clone?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
When I read hypothetical I was hoping for alien abduction or demonic possession, but this may be even better

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Well, to be fair, the Kings DID once lose Jason Allison & Adam Deadmarsh in the same season to what was more or less career-ending injuries

So stranger things have happened... but yeah. "Improbable" would be being generous here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad