Value of: Dustin Brown (or similar) to CAR

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So, maybe in the minority here for Canes fans but even though the team is playing relatively well with a pretty good record I think they are lacking in veteran presence and if Mr. Game 7 doesn’t come back midway I don’t think they might reach their potential with this young team. I like Staal as a player, leader and captain but I don’t think he’s necessarily vocal or holds guys responsible enough. Maybe Brindamour fills that role but still nice to have another strong leader.

OK, let’s get the to the thread... I realize that Dustin Brown leaving LA is super unlikely for a variety of reasons but what would LAK be looking for to move him?

- 35 y/o Physical RH shot winger with scoring touch and leadership
- 60+ and 50+ point seasons the last two seasons
- 2 more years at $5.8 cap hit and $4 mil real dollars

If not Dustin Brown then who would be a reasonable comp?

Last edited:
Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Picks and prospects, I doubt he moves, but stranger things have happened. LA do have a quite a few veteran guys that may offer some leadership that may be available. (lewis, clifford, carter, kovalchuk etc)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Picks and prospects, I doubt he moves, but stranger things have happened. LA do have a quite a few veteran guys that may offer some leadership that may be available. (lewis, clifford, carter, kovalchuk etc)

Canes have a loaded farm team and tons of picks so the fit is there. We have multiple 1sts and 2nds this year, etc.

Hypothetically what would it take for Dustin Brown straight up and also at 50% retained?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Canes have a loaded farm team and tons of picks so the fit is there. We have multiple 1sts and 2nds this year, etc.

Hypothetically what would it take for Dustin Brown straight up and also at 50% retained?

I wouldnt have a clue. Its very hard to gauge value on an older player.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I also doubt Brown moves but i think u would be looking at a 2nd and top end defensive prospect for all his contract. Looking 1st and prospect at 50%

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'm not so sure they really need a vet presence anymore. I think someone like Brown or Williams would certainly help round out the top 9, but I think they'll be fine learning as they go along this year. They actually have the talent to win games this season they have no business winning. The pros of vet leadership and the cost to obtain a guy like Brown, etc I think are overblown versus the experience the CAR young guys will get throughout the rest of this season.

I'd think the braintrust would more so be looking for a young-ish F that fits the RBA playing style that can grow with the current core. It'd help immensely if that potential F was a right shot and even more so, if he could also take draws.

The top 2 guys on my wishlist are Kapanen and Roslovic, but I don't think either of them gets dealt for what CAR would be offering. So, maybe a guy like Carter or Brown from LA would be the best fit, all depending on cost. Meaning, I wouldn't give up a 1st and/or top prospect for either of those guys. I would give up a 1st for Kapanen, and I'd easily trade from CAR's depth on D prospects for Roslovic.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
1st and a good prospect for 50% retention on Brown would be a fine move by both teams.

I would sooner move Carter than Brown. Carter’s value is harder to gauge, but he is still a useful player, on pace for 20+ goals. 2nd and good prospect for 50% retention on Carter would work from my perspective.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
ya, I do not see Brown being moved. He will retire a king.

Carter could be avaible and is starting to look really good just not burying the chances, but the key for me is he is getting to areas to have really good chances. Something he struggled with last year.
Toffoli is obviously available.

One player I think would do well with the canes and have a low acquisition cost is Lewis. He is a very versatile bottom 6er who would provide great leadership.

The player i think would fit best for the Canes is a return of Justin Williams.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Can'tr see them moving Brown at all. Carter would be a good fit for Carolina. His scoring isn't what it used to be still doing well so far this season and his physicallity has ramped up big time. He's laid a few big hits so far this season.

I think Lewis would be a decent add too.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Think the idea of moving Carter has come up and he implied that he would just retire if dealt that’s why I didn’t go that route. I realize that Brown is in a very similar position given his tenure with LA

Carter has stated a number of times he plans on playing out his contract and has never mentioned retiring, that was just a guess by a guy that has little or no ties when it comes to LA

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
1st and a good prospect for 50% retention on Brown would be a fine move by both teams.

I would sooner move Carter than Brown. Carter’s value is harder to gauge, but he is still a useful player, on pace for 20+ goals. 2nd and good prospect for 50% retention on Carter would work from my perspective.

I don't think it's a fine move for Carolina. I'd rather keep the 1st. Besides, even at 50% retained, the Canes can't take on his cap hit this year and I can't see Brown moving at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad