Kings Article: Dustin Brown Deserved Much Better From LA Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah but he signed a real nice bridge deal 8 or 9 years ago and that really helped the team to two Stanley Cups. Go easy on him!

Minor detail there.

I'm not saying that Brown is absolved from his play or that the Kings don't need much more from him for what he's paid, but jesus... It feel like some of you would sell your own mothers to organ trafffickers for $50 bucks if the opportunity presented itself.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Minor detail there.

I'm not saying that Brown is absolved from his play or that the Kings don't need much more from him for what he's paid, but jesus... It feel like some of you would sell your own mothers to organ trafffickers for $50 bucks if the opportunity presented itself.

I've noticed this as well. Pretty sad. In the end, all I know is that there are a lot of you that I wouldn't be "friends" with because I'm sure once I outlived my usefulness then I'd be gone. You're users.

You can say a lot of bad things about me but I am loyal to a fault.

And this whole thing, starting with Richards (Yes, I do understand that Dean gave him chance after chance but he clearly had a problem that was caused because he put everything he had on the ice to his physical and mental detriment) to Voynov, to Brown and Greene, it has just left a really bad taste in my mouth - especially listening to a lot you talk like these players aren't human beings and that they didn't bring us TWO Stanley Cups - which a lot of us long time fans NEVER thought we'd see. Sad and weird.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Minor detail there.

Not a stretch at all, this site right here is the home of second-guessing.

Sagebuster

Jul 26, 2015
To anyone saying Brown is somehow responsible for the crap that occurred involving Voynov/Richards/Stoll, let me remind you that Kopitar wore an A during that time. I'm sure you'll say how you think it's a mistake naming him captain. Give me a break!

To everyone else using this thread as an opportunity to rehash the griping about how Brown's play has declined, or how his contract is too long and for too much, that has nothing to do with how good a player can be the captain of a team.

My uninformed guess as to why this change is happening is Sutter wanted this, and made it part of the deal to come back as head coach. He inherited Brown as captain. Now he wants the chance to have the player he thinks would be the best captain for him to rely upon to be his conduit with the players. Having it leak sucked, but shtuff happens.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Minor detail there.

I don't get your point. We are being critical of an athlete who is still supposed to be in his prime who has gradually gotten worse since signing his big fat contract. How are we being disloyal when or unfair? A guy who is potting less than 30 ****ing points is being paid $7 ****ing million dollars.

I guess Lakers fans also shouldn't be critical at all when their overpaid athletes fail to perform. Same with the Dodgers. They might have the highest god damn payroll in all of sports (or had, as of last year), but we should refrain from saying anything negative about them because they're our Dodgers, right?

If anyone fails to perform at their job, they are usually transitioned out, demoted, paid less or laid off/fired. Unfortunately, you can't get rid of an underachieving contract that easily.

Pardon me for not being more sympathetic towards a multimillionaire who shows signs of regression through every passing year.

I've noticed this as well. Pretty sad. In the end, all I know is that there are a lot of you that I wouldn't be "friends" with because I'm sure once I outlived my usefulness then I'd be gone. You're users.

You can say a lot of bad things about me but I am loyal to a fault.

And this whole thing, starting with Richards (Yes, I do understand that Dean gave him chance after chance but he clearly had a problem that was caused because he put everything he had on the ice to his physical and mental detriment) to Voynov, to Brown and Greene, it has just left a really bad taste in my mouth - especially listening to a lot you talk like these players aren't human beings and that they didn't bring us TWO Stanley Cups - which a lot of us long time fans NEVER thought we'd see. Sad and weird.

Stop being over dramatic. Are you a pro athlete who is paid millions of dollars as well? That is who we are being critical over. Not our mothers or siblings or friends.

We are here discussing hockey, we are discussing the crappy and declining performance of a player who is grossly overpaid for what he provides on the ice. We aren't attacking Dustin Brown the person. This is the athlete and the on-ice performance that is at discussion and his unwarranted contract.

And it wasn't solely Dustin Brown who brought two Cups to this city. There are some other guys named Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Carter, Williams, etc. who we are not ripping to shreds who had a hand in doing just that.

Can you honestly say that this team will miss Dustin Brown's on ice contributions if they got rid of him? Can you really say that with a straight face after witnessing his steep decline over the past three consecutive seasons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2006
To anyone saying Brown is somehow responsible for the crap that occurred involving Voynov/Richards/Stoll, let me remind you that Kopitar wore an A during that time. I'm sure you'll say how you think it's a mistake naming him captain. Give me a break!

To everyone else using this thread as an opportunity to rehash the griping about how Brown's play has declined, or how his contract is too long and for too much, that has nothing to do with how good a player can be the captain of a team.

My uninformed guess as to why this change is happening is Sutter wanted this, and made it part of the deal to come back as head coach. He inherited Brown as captain. Now he wants the chance to have the player he thinks would be the best captain for him to rely upon to be his conduit with the players. Having it leak sucked, but shtuff happens.

That's what happens when you are not producing. Everything else gets magnified and nobody said he was responsible for those incidents, for crying out loud. The captain as you said is supposed to be a conduit for the coaches from the players. With the stuff that's gone on the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff felt like Brown wasn't plugged in with the guys enough.

As for Kopitar, he has a different personality than Brown and actually produces results and lives up to his contract. The sniveling, whining, and crying about the "C" along with the garbage can incident of locking out Sutter from the locker room really shows this team wasn't getting proper leadership.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I don't get your point. We are being critical of an athlete who is still supposed to be in his prime who has gradually gotten worse since signing his big fat contract. How are we being disloyal when or unfair? A guy who is potting less than 30 ****ing points is being paid $7 ****ing million dollars.

I guess Lakers fans also shouldn't be critical at all when their overpaid athletes fail to perform. Same with the Dodgers. They might have the highest god damn payroll in all of sports (or had, as of last year), but we should refrain from saying anything negative about them because they're our Dodgers, right?

If anyone fails to perform at their job, they are usually transitioned out, demoted, paid less or laid off/fired. Unfortunately, you can't get rid of an underachieving contract that easily.

Pardon me for not being more sympathetic towards a multimillionaire who shows signs of regression through every passing year.

Stop being over dramatic. Are you a pro athlete who is paid millions of dollars as well? That is who we are being critical over. Not our mothers or siblings or friends.

We are here discussing hockey, we are discussing the crappy and declining performance of a player who is grossly overpaid for what he provides on the ice. We aren't attacking Dustin Brown the person. This is the athlete and the on-ice performance that is at discussion and his unwarranted contract.

And it wasn't solely Dustin Brown who brought two Cups to this city. There are some other guys named Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Carter, Williams, etc. who we are not ripping to shreds who had a hand in doing just that.

Can you honestly say that this team will miss Dustin Brown's on ice contributions if they got rid of him? Can you really say that with a straight face after witnessing his steep decline over the past three consecutive seasons?

Excellent post. If Brown deserves a lot of credit for the team's successes (I believe he does), then he should get a lot of the blame for the team's failures. It cuts both ways and if people can't see that, I think you've got some bias in there.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
No offense Gann, but you're a fan, and your bias is dripping with the silly headline and your assertion that Brown was mistreated in this process.

His previous contract is irrelevant. His dip in production, his shooting percentage consistently dropping, his inability to complete passes, his constant turnovers, his sloppy skating, that is ALL on Brown. Don't be like that idiot Dennis Bernstein and make silly claims that other factors influenced Brown's decline.

It is Dustin Brown's performance, or lack thereof, that led to this change. We all admire what he did in 2012, but we also don't live in the past like some homers tend to do. Don't bury your head in the sand and ignore the downfalls this team has had since the 2014-15 season. Dustin Brown has let his team down with his play. He is paid like a premier power forward, yet he performs like another Dwight King.

You spout nonsense about the things he does off the ice, but guess what, player's aren't paid for their charity work and off ice endeavors. They're paid to perform. Something Dustin Brown hasn't done in many years.

If you want to distort things, be my guest. Just know that you're doing so. I have no idea where I wrote about anything affecting Brown's performance in this story. Please cite where I did so.

As for what they get paid for, technically correct. However, hockey players are expected to do so much more. Just because they're not important to you doesn't mean they aren't.

I spout nonsense? Give me a break. As for my bias or lack of objectivity, feel free to believe what you wish. But before doing so, please note that it's apparent that you aren't looking at this issue with even a hint of objective analysis, which says something your credibility.

Then there's the personal attacks. You know what they say about those who stoop to that level...goes to credibility again.

Again, I'll repeat what i said: if you're looking at Brown and his current contract in a vacuum, you'll never get it and so far, I haven't seen anyone connect the dots. It's sad that so many people have such short memories.

Here's an even bigger hint: sacrifice is the biggest factor in Brown's current contract, not performance. Do you honestly believe DL would've signed Brown to such a big contract based on his performance, which had already been in decline for years? C'mon folks...think please.

And if you don't like me writing this, well, too bad. Deal with it. I'm as sick of this garbage from both sides, really, as anyone else. Maybe it people think for a change...well, that's probably too much to ask these days...look at our electorate...but that's for another forum.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here's an even bigger hint: sacrifice is the biggest factor in Brown's current contract, not performance. Do you honestly believe DL would've signed Brown to such a big contract based on his performance, which had already been in decline for years? C'mon folks...think please.

This is where you are losing us. You imply that DL gave Brown a better contract than his on-ice performance permits. You say you don't know who specifically from management leaked the information about Brown losing the captaincy to the press. So... if you feel management's fairly taken into consideration Brown's sacrifice to give him this contract which he is now (at least from an on-ice perspective) overpaid for, and you don't know who leaked the news of the captaincy being stripped of him, it's very confusing to understand why Brown deserves better from management.

The ONLY contention either your article or Brown has is it getting leaked ahead of time. And even then, you don't know who did it. So this article title and content is, at the very least, sensationalism with a bias towards Brown; it comes across as one-sided.

I do appreciate what Brown brought, and admittedly think things would be better, for both Brown and the Kings, if he moved on to a better situation where he wouldn't have to be the captain and he really can focus on his own game and just playing more fearlessly.

And frankly, while the notion of a pissed off player being a more competitive player may be true, and people are happy about Brown being upset about the situation, I just don't have the same perspective. Yes, it's good that he cares. However, Brown wasn't made a captain specifically because he was a very competitive or heavily driven individual. He was made a captain because he fit into the mold of the family and community Lombardi was trying to build, and now there's a tone where he feels betrayed.

Trust me, I want Brown to succeed as much as any other player as long as he's a King, but I do not see this relationship being healthy or ending well with the current trajectory... and for that, I do hold both sides responsible.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
This is where you are losing us. You imply that DL gave Brown a better contract than his on-ice performance permits. You say you don't know who specifically from management leaked the information about Brown losing the captaincy to the press. So... if you feel management's fairly taken into consideration Brown's sacrifice to give him this contract which he is now (at least from an on-ice perspective) overpaid for, and you don't know who leaked the news of the captaincy being stripped of him, it's very confusing to understand why Brown deserves better from management.

The ONLY contention either your article or Brown has is it getting leaked ahead of time. And even then, you don't know who did it. So this article title and content is, at the very least, sensationalism with a bias towards Brown; it comes across as one-sided.

I do appreciate what Brown brought, and admittedly think things would be better, for both Brown and the Kings, if he moved on to a better situation where he wouldn't have to be the captain and he really can focus on his own game and just playing more fearlessly.

And frankly, while the notion of a pissed off player being a more competitive player may be true, and people are happy about Brown being upset about the situation, I just don't have the same perspective. Yes, it's good that he cares. However, Brown wasn't made a captain specifically because he was a very competitive or heavily driven individual. He was made a captain because he fit into the mold of the family and community Lombardi was trying to build, and now there's a tone where he feels betrayed.

Trust me, I want Brown to succeed as much as any other player as long as he's a King, but I do not see this relationship being healthy or ending well with the current trajectory... and for that, I do hold both sides responsible.

And what's gonna happen when the season starts and his stats continue to decline?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I think the problem is most people realize the Kings will be playing short a top6 forward next year for the privilege of getting to watch Brown lower everyone's point production, except for King/Lewis/Shore. For some reason their points go up with Brown.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Alright. Substantial discussion isn't happening. We're done here.

Let this stand as a public warning though that if you can't disagree civilly, even flaming generally ("all bloggers" etc.) will be infracted.

Cut it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad