Movies: Dunkirk: Christopher Nolan next movie release date July 2017

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It was a good, but not what I expected. I like and don't like the style Nolan took, that being making an artistic war film opposed to a regular war film. It reminded me a lot of Come and See, another surreal war film that is light on dialogue and uses the atmosphere and sounds to tell the narrative.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The premise for this movie seemed to be "What if we took the docking scene from Interstellar and stretched it out to an entire movie?"

I liked it, but didn't love it.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
This movie was good, great in some parts and very well shot, but is a little overrated and not as good as some of the praise heaped on it.

Fact is, Nolan could film paint drying and people would heap praise on him.

I enjoyed it, love war films and don't need non-stop action or gun battles, that this doesn't make any of my top lists.

It was maybe a war film for art film fans of people that don't ordinarily like war films, along with the likes of The Thin Red Line.

I don't think this is going to hold up as well on repeat viewings.

I'm not a huge fan of Nolan, I totally disliked Inception, thought The Dark Knight Rises was meh and hated Interstellar, but this was a great film.

I'm a history buff and a war film fan and his view and approach to this material was refreshing and great. This film conveys quite frequently that one person's life is insignificant to the greater picture of this larger world war and that death was knocking on everybody's door at the beach.

One could unfortunately die at any moment from a bomb, an artillery shell, a torpedo or small arms fire and nobody would care. I got the feeling that's how it was, especially when the enemy is mostly unseen and exists like a force of nature that just comes and goes randomly.

Also, listening to Churchill's words being read at the end instead of seeing an actor play Churchill was brilliant and powerful.

This film definitely holds up to repeat viewings, I've seen it three times already and it's definitely going to win Nolan awards.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
What did people find artistic about this? To me it just felt a 90-minute action scene.

I found it very artistic. The unconventional timeline, the excellent editing and pacing, the stunning visuals and sounds, character building and emotion using minimal dialogue, the rejection of tropes associated with war films, and the themes having to do with the different ways humans react to a looming threat on their lives and the lives of others all contributed into forming what I consider to be a triumph of "show, don't tell" filmmaking.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The aerial and naval scenes were simply amazing. My only gripes with the two were the He-111 making an insanely slow and low altitude pass over the mine sweeper, and the sweeper doing nothing about it, despite having on board AA weaponry.

The other gripe I have is with the top-side, rear facing turret on the He-111. It was shown as being a slow firing canon, likely a 20mm. It should have been an MG 15 or MG 131.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am amused by a few reviews that suggested the movie is racists and sexist since it did not have any actors of colour or women in prominent roles. Those reviewers? History is obviously not their strong point

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am amused by a few reviews that suggested the movie is racists and sexist since it did not have any actors of colour or women in prominent roles. Those reviewers? History is obviously not their strong point

Apparently women were among the last to be evacuated as both nurses and telephone operators.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Can action and suspense not be artistic?
Of course they can. Idk, yeah the timeline was unconventional but it was filled with cliches. I'd describe this as closer to Pearl Harbor than something like Das Boot or Come and See.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

But not in the slightest bit surprised by it. Sadly predictable.

I'm hoping to see it next week.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Really enjoyed this movie.

Did anyone else feel like the score/music was a little too Interstellar-ish?

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I liked this. Very realistic. Amazing special effects with minimal CGI. Interwoven narratives. Poignant. Bloodless yet violent. Faceless Germans. Interesting approach to use the characters as vehicles to illustrate the event. I've seen enough films about soldiers sending love notes back home. I just wish they had hypothesized deeper as to why Hitler called off.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
The aerial and naval scenes were simply amazing. My only gripes with the two were the He-111 making an insanely slow and low altitude pass over the mine sweeper, and the sweeper doing nothing about it, despite having on board AA weaponry.

The other gripe I have is with the top-side, rear facing turret on the He-111. It was shown as being a slow firing canon, likely a 20mm. It should have been an MG 15 or MG 131.

Thank you! Nobody else I've talked to understood or appreciated that. Even then, the ROF of the defensive armament was really low...

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
As in Fury Road? Why do you think that?

Yes

#1 - post-apocalyptic dystopias have been beaten to DEATH lately

#2 - No explanations for all the weird **** they did (why again were they playing electric guitar whilst riding through the desert?)

#3 - the story in itself was weak.

The movie ended and I found myself saying "that was it?!!"

TBH I don't understand why anybody actually likes it.

EDIT: sorry to derail the thread. Mods delete if necessary

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Yes

#1 - post-apocalyptic dystopias have been beaten to DEATH lately

#2 - No explanations for all the weird **** they did (why again were they playing electric guitar whilst riding through the desert?)

#3 - the story in itself was weak.

The movie ended and I found myself saying "that was it?!!"

TBH I don't understand why anybody actually likes it.

EDIT: sorry to derail the thread. Mods delete if necessary

I thought Fury Road was a joke too, it was by far the worst in the series. It should've been called Furiosa Road, it was a Charlize Theron movie, not a Mad Max movie. Mel Gibson is THE one and only Mad Max.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Thank you! Nobody else I've talked to understood or appreciated that. Even then, the ROF of the defensive armament was really low...

When you've spent your entire life studying (as a hobby) the varying aspects of ww2, fine details such as these are quickly recognized.

My GF didn't get it either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->