Movies: Dungeons & Dragons (March 3, 2023)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A new attempt is being made to bring the game to the big screen.

Director John Francis Daley (from the show Bones) said they are done filming. He also wrote the script though no real details are known yet other than it taking place in the Forgotten Realms and the city if Neverwinter will be in it.

The cast has some big names like Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Hugh Grant, among others. Hope they can put something together that is great this time. The attempt in 2000 was meh to bad and that's with Jeremy Irons playing the baddie.

The Dungeons and Dragons Film Has Wrapped Production

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Chris Pine described the new Dungeons & Dragons movie as a cross between Princess Bride, Games of Thrones and Monty Python and the Holy Grail in a recent interview

Oh man. Well, what I will say is we had a hell of a fun time making it. There was a lot of laughs. The way that I’ve been describing it, it’s like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it’s somewhere in that ballpark. It’s a lot of fun. It’s got a lot of thrills. It’s poppy, it’s eighties heartfelt, there’s a bit of Goonies in there. My character, he’s the ultimate party planner. I think it’s going to be really good. I mean, who f***ing knows, but I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast and we had a good time making it. And that’s all you can ask for.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Could either be a fun culty romp of a medieval action comedy or a huge wet, meh. As someone who never really got into the game, I'll give it a go.

Reactions: Fripp

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Literally no one talking about this. Saw it tonight. Quite a fun movie with some warts. The pacing is frenetic, the storytelling and dialogue almost crosses into cringed and forced at times, Pine's (character's) daughter is a pretty poor actress, and whatever D/D references are thrown in there for the fans are lost on people like me who never played (I recognized the reference to Baldur's Gate but that's more because it's a recognized video game title). But, I had fun with it. There's some fantastic action, decent humor, some very nice visuals and even though there were times the camaraderie of the main heroes felt borderline forced and strained, for the most part I enjoyed the characters. and appreciated that they all seemed to have simple yet effective arcs. This won't stand up to something like the Lord of the Rings in terms of medieval fantasy but it's not trying to be. It was somewhat dumb fun with a tone akin to something like Guardians of the Galaxy but doesn't quite hit those same highs. Though on the subject of the MCU I'd rewatch this over most of Phase 4.

A fun time at the movies worth checking out. Just don't overthink the plot and anyone should be able to enjoy it.

Edit: I meant to mention this last night but it got lost in my narrative. There is one sequence in there involving shape shifting that, admittedly had some rough CGI in parts but it was shot like a single take and the development of the sequence is just so beautifully well done that I was just about breathless watching it. This is the difference between CGI action for the sake of action and something that was intelligently thought out and all the more thrilling because of it. I wish they'd invested just a little more money in making the CGI animals more believable but if you're willing to turn off your brain to knowing and understanding it's all fake, it's a top notch scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: DynamiteKid

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Literally no one talking about this. Saw it tonight. Quite a fun movie with some warts. The pacing is frenetic, the storytelling and dialogue almost crosses into cringed and forced at times, Pine's daughter is a pretty poor actress, and whatever D/D references are thrown in there for the fans are lost on people like me who never played (I recognized the reference to Baldur's Gate but that's more because it's a recognized video game title). But, I had fun with it. There's some fantastic action, decent humor, some very nice visuals and even though there were times the camaraderie of the main heroes felt borderline forced and strained, for the most part I enjoyed the characters. and appreciated that they all seemed to have simple yet effective arcs. This won't stand up to something like the Lord of the Rings in terms of medieval fantasy but it's not trying to be. It was somewhat dumb fun with a tone akin to something like Guardians of the Galaxy but doesn't quite hit those same highs. Though on the subject of the MCU I'd rewatch this over most of Phase 4.

A fun time at the movies worth checking out. Just don't overthink the plot and anyone should be able to enjoy it.
Has a 91% critic score on Rotten Tomato Going to see it Friday with my 11 year old niece as part of her bday present. She was so happy to find out her uncle was into D&D etc. when she got interested in it a year ago. I can't wait to see this Friday, normally would have gone last weekend when it opened but had to wait to see it with her when in Montreal for the long easter weekend this week.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's clever of them to throw in D&D references to appease the crazies while still being funny and accessible to the general public.

I'm amazed it was that hard to put D&D monsters in a D&D movie prior to this one.

Reactions: HanSolo and beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's clever of them to throw in D&D references to appease the crazies while still being funny and accessible to the general public.

I'm amazed it was that hard to put D&D monsters in a D&D movie prior to this one.
From the trailer seeing the owlbear along was amazing...can't wait to see it...I think I've said that a few times now lol. My niece plans on wearing her Tiamat tshirt I bought her last year for her bday.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Saw it Thursday and found it quite enjoyable, haven't played D&D since the mid/late 80's so I pretty much went in clean slate and thought it was fun, my 6 y/o daughter who is a big scifi/fantasy nut loved it

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Saw it with some friends on Saturday. It was a cute movie. As someone that did a lot of D&D in the past, including a campaign that took us 10 years to complete, it hit the right marks. Some jokes didn't really land and kinda dragged, but you could tell this was someone's campaign brought to the big screen. I had a great appreciation for the depiction of the paladin. It's become really popular to just treat them as walking jokes, but he had some of the most awesome scenes in the movie so props to them for letting the "Lawful Stupid" guy have his moments. Also, good cast actually.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Finally a movie that is worthy of the D&D name. Might not be perfect but was really good. It felt like a campaign, everything from the quests they encounter to the inhabitants and creatures. The nod to the old kids cartoon was also great. Not a fan of the fat dragon Themberchaud but meh whatever I guess even dragons can be lazy and over indulgent I mean they love to eat and horde treasure. The Owlbear, gelatinous cube, the displacer beasts and intellect devourers were all great.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Saw it with some friends on Saturday. It was a cute movie. As someone that did a lot of D&D in the past, including a campaign that took us 10 years to complete, it hit the right marks. Some jokes didn't really land and kinda dragged, but you could tell this was someone's campaign brought to the big screen. I had a great appreciation for the depiction of the paladin. It's become really popular to just treat them as walking jokes, but he had some of the most awesome scenes in the movie so props to them for letting the "Lawful Stupid" guy have his moments. Also, good cast actually.

How does that even work?

I like the D&D cartoon as a kid but never played the game except once, and I think my friend was making up rules as we played.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
How does that even work?

I like the D&D cartoon as a kid but never played the game except once, and I think my friend was making up rules as we played.
DMs fudge numbers, make houserules, etc. It's vital for any long term game playing to sort of bend things for your group. We made house rules on crits and grapple for instance because when we started our campaign in 3.5, grapple sucked and crits didn't feel rewarding enough.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How does that even work?

That's nothing a guy here in Canada has a record campaign that has been going for 40 plus years.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's nothing a guy here in Canada has a record campaign that has been going for 40 plus years.

Ya I heard of that awhile ago but never thought much about how it all works until now.

DMs fudge numbers, make houserules, etc. It's vital for any long term game playing to sort of bend things for your group. We made house rules on crits and grapple for instance because when we started our campaign in 3.5, grapple sucked and crits didn't feel rewarding enough.

No clue what a crit/grapple is, but I assume you create characters or something and do some kind of quests together every time your friends get together?

I guess it’s like how they play D&D on Stranger Things or no?

Closest thing for me like this was I had an endless 1-1 3 post hockey game with a buddy when I was younger that went on for 6-7 years, score was well into the 3 or 4 hundreds when we finally stopped.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Had a blast watching this film.

There’s Easter eggs for D&D nerds, a lot of great banter, and Chris Pine at his best.

Plus the Paladin.

Also surprised at how well Hugh Grant committed to his role.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Finally got to bring my 11 year old niece to see it for her birthday and she loved it. Her only "complaint" was she wanted more dragons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad