Dundon makes investment in new Alliance of American Football

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
did you ever stop and think that maybe the habs ownership wanted the opportunity to play in their away jerseys at home?

No kidding. Where on earth is this notion that the habs were "ordered" or that they "need to grow a spine" coming from?
If the Canadiens weren't interested, they wouldn't have played along. Simple as that.

As an aside, I can recall back in the 90's (when whites were the standard home uniform) that the oilers would play at least one home game a season in their blues. It was simply a one-off change and the fans liked it. I'm sure lots of teams used to do this.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
He's committed $250 million. Total player salaries for the entire league is in the $35 million range. Do the math. It's not a bail-out. It's an investment. If this does eventually become a minor league for the NFL, Dundon could easily get back double or triple his investment in a short time.

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
If it was so easy there would have already been an active spring football league before now.

If the AAF survives for a second season at the very least I'd expect them to play more games, possibly lower salaries.

If the goal of the league is to become the official minor league of the NFL then they can only reasonably expect 10-12k per game. They'll have to adjust accordingly.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
This league should have started in the decent MLS stadium sizes. Find places that are no bigger than 28,000.
Fill those and start building a fan base.

What new league starts in a place like Sun Devil stadium that is going to have a capacity of 60,000? Or Legion Field with 71,594....or SDCCU Stadium at 70, 561 seats. Meanwhile Atlanta's Georgia State Stadium has a capacity of 24,333.

The XFL planning isn't any better. They plan on using NY's MetLife stadium that holds 82,500....but also using Washington's Audi Field that seats 20,000.

MLS has a few large stadiums but the bulk of them are right around 20,000 seats. I can't wrap my head around how both the AAF and XFL are planning to play in larger stadiums but also have teams in >25,000 stadiums.

To me, you can have a few large stadiums when most teams are in small ones....but you can't go the other way. If you do either your large stadiums are going to be mostly empty or the small stadium franchises are going to be at a severe disadvantage. My guess is the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Well that could also be at least 5 years of spending to the cap for Canes, might even expect a cup or two with their young core.
You think he wrote a cheque for $250 million lol? This money is most likely borrowed, and over a certain number of years ....It isn't coming out of his Hurricanes budget.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This league should have started in the decent MLS stadium sizes. Find places that are no bigger than 28,000.
Fill those and start building a fan base.

What new league starts in a place like Sun Devil stadium that is going to have a capacity of 60,000? Or Legion Field with 71,594....or SDCCU Stadium at 70, 561 seats. Meanwhile Atlanta's Georgia State Stadium has a capacity of 24,333.

The XFL planning isn't any better. They plan on using NY's MetLife stadium that holds 82,500....but also using Washington's Audi Field that seats 20,000.

MLS has a few large stadiums but the bulk of them are right around 20,000 seats. I can't wrap my head around how both the AAF and XFL are planning to play in larger stadiums but also have teams in >25,000 stadiums.

To me, you can have a few large stadiums when most teams are in small ones....but you can't go the other way. If you do either your large stadiums are going to be mostly empty or the small stadium franchises are going to be at a severe disadvantage. My guess is the former.
There are no franchises, so it doesn't really matter. Every player makes the same money, and payroll is centralized threw the league.

What small stadiums are you thinking about, keeping in mind that most MLS stadiums would not be options?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad