Duncan Milroy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Can someone tell me if this kid has potential to make the NHL one day? I have heard abit of both. I Hear he's abit soft, I have never seen him play so I cant make any comments about this guy. Thanks.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
tuckerdomi said:
Can someone tell me if this kid has potential to make the NHL one day? I have heard abit of both. I Hear he's abit soft, I have never seen him play so I cant make any comments about this guy. Thanks.

If he ever does, it's going to be in a 3rd line capacity, although he does have enough offensive skills to play on the 2nd line, but I doubt it...

I wouldn't call him soft though, he's shown a good 2 way game this year, he's got a really good shot, very similar to Michael Ryder, about the same size and same skating deficiencies...

Hard to say :dunno:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
He has the offensive ability to play on the 2nd line but I don't think he his going to make it there. He might turn out to be a very 3rd line player tho. I agree with 417 TO MTL that he looks alot like Ryder. I guess time will tell if he makes it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Leachmeister2000 said:
I think what worries most people is his lack of strength.

I think the biggest concern with Milroy is...he's good in the corners and along the boards, he can dig the puck out, he's got a really good shot, but he doesn't go in areas where he can use his shot, he doesn't get into scoring areas, i've never seen his strength as that much of an issue...

Basically, he has to learn to pay the price to score, until then, he'll be a fringe player or occasional call up if you will

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
tuckerdomi said:

Maybe. He's got some decent skills but the Habs are deepest at RW in terms of their prospects, with Kostitsyn and Perezhogin, with Ryder coming off his rookie year as well. Along with Milroy there's Wyman, Greg Stewart and Jonathan Ferland, all who can play physical hockey. But he has shown improvement over a disappointing rookie year in Hamilton last season and next year he will be looked upon to carry more of the offensive load if the NHL is back in action.

He is on the soft side, as he does work well along the boards but he's not overly physical and imo tends to shy away from heavy traffic areas at times. Imo one of the areas he really needs to work on is being more involved physically. He's got a decent body frame but will need to get stronger no doubt. He's got a nice wrist shot, is solid in his own end, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I wouldn't expect to see him in the NHL next year. :shakehead

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
montreal said:
Maybe. He's got some decent skills but the Habs are deepest at RW in terms of their prospects, with Kostitsyn and Perezhogin, with Ryder coming off his rookie year as well. Along with Milroy there's Wyman, Greg Stewart and Jonathan Ferland, all who can play physical hockey. But he has shown improvement over a disappointing rookie year in Hamilton last season and next year he will be looked upon to carry more of the offensive load if the NHL is back in action.

He is on the soft side, as he does work well along the boards but he's not overly physical and imo tends to shy away from heavy traffic areas at times. Imo one of the areas he really needs to work on is being more involved physically. He's got a decent body frame but will need to get stronger no doubt. He's got a nice wrist shot, is solid in his own end, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I wouldn't expect to see him in the NHL next year. :shakehead

How much time do you think it will take him to be NHL ready. 2 more years?? :dunno:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habsfan 32 said:
How much time do you think it will take him to be NHL ready. 2 more years?? :dunno:

At least if at all. There's still the chance that he doesn't progress any further and if that's the case he likely won't see the NHL imo, at least with the Habs. But after a very successful WHL career (hard to believe he actually put up 92 pts as a 17 year old with Swift Current) plus he's had a decent sophomore year with Hamilton, and a likely increased role with the team next year, I would think he'll start to show if he can one day make the jump or not.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
montreal said:
At least if at all. There's still the chance that he doesn't progress any further and if that's the case he likely won't see the NHL imo, at least with the Habs. But after a very successful WHL career (hard to believe he actually put up 92 pts as a 17 year old with Swift Current) plus he's had a decent sophomore year with Hamilton, and a likely increased role with the team next year, I would think he'll start to show if he can one day make the jump or not.

Thanks man. He's the one that got like personality of the year or humanitarian of the year in the AHL?? :dunno:

Rather Gingerly 1*

Habsfan 32 said:
He has the offensive ability to play on the 2nd line but I don't think he his going to make it there. He might turn out to be a very 3rd line player tho. I agree with 417 TO MTL that he looks alot like Ryder. I guess time will tell if he makes it.

Ryder as a 20 year-old was buried deep in the Habs list of prospects also. Milroy has the natural skills, talent which you cannot teach, if he works hard enough he will be a good NHLer someday.

NewHabsEra*

417 TO MTL said:
If he ever does, it's going to be in a 3rd line capacity, although he does have enough offensive skills to play on the 2nd line, but I doubt it...

I wouldn't call him soft though, he's shown a good 2 way game this year, he's got a really good shot, very similar to Michael Ryder, about the same size and same skating deficiencies...

Hard to say :dunno:

I dont think its even close... Ryder's shot is just phenomenal, Milroy's one is good but very far away from Ryder's...

I think Milroy can become a nice third line winger in the NHL but still has a long way..

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NewHabsArea said:
I dont think its even close... Ryder's shot is just phenomenal, Milroy's one is good but very far away from Ryder's...

I think Milroy can become a nice third line winger in the NHL but still has a long way..

i know that, I think Ryder has one of the deadlier releases in the NHL, look at most of his goals last year, most of the time the goalie doesn't even have the time to react and the puck is in the back of the net...but Milroy does have similar qualities to Ryder, same size, both have skating limitations, and both have very accurate shots

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Three years ago, he was one of the breakthrough stories of the spring. Absolutely terrific in leading Kootenay to the Memorial Cup title. Won WHL playoff MVP with 37 points in 22 games, blew the competition out of the water. Had the hockey world comparing him to Sakic. But really took a step back the following year and has struggled to find his form since.

Milroy's got an excellent shot and good hockey sense, but for whatever reason, he's struggled in two AHL seasons. Good defensively, and that might be his ticket to the NHL as a third liner, but his play in his draft year and the 2002 playoffs will leave me wondering if maybe he could have been something more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad