Player Discussion Duncan Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's a negative topic. I've learned my lesson. Nothing negative here. I'm sure he was completely unaware of what was going on.

LavishShyKissingbug-max-1mb.gif

space321

May 11, 2011
I hope Keith isn’t someone that was involved in the surfacing incidents.

Reports are certain players even continued to bully the victim. Not saying Keith was involved directly, but it's hard to imagine that he didn't know about it.

space321

May 11, 2011
Duncan Keith hasn't played a game as an Oiler and probably hates our fanbase already. Bitching about Holland bringing in too much cap is one thing. Downplaying his legacy is just ridiculous.

Who's downplaying his legacy?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Even more importantly, is a dman that find the seams to get the puck through. The ability to hammer the puck is all well and good, but remember the "shinpad assassin", Andre Sekera? We need guys with the ability to walk the line and get the puck through.

Both Bouchard and Keith are great at that... Nurse isn't terrible either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Re; Keith wearing a letter and "witnessing" the Blackhawks abuse allegations....

I dont think coaches hand out captaincy stuff based on being a superhero crime detective.

Also assault happens in a lot of organizations and industries and for some reason there is still a stigma and pressure not to speak out. Most people wouldnt know how or where to go.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Re; Keith wearing a letter and "witnessing" the Blackhawks abuse allegations....

I dont think coaches hand out captaincy stuff based on being a superhero crime detective.

Also assault happens in a lot of organizations and industries and for some reason there is still a stigma and pressure not to speak out. Most people wouldnt know how or where to go.

You read the latest stuff from the lawsuit about coaches and teammates trash talking the victim? If true, it suggests that the incident was common knowledge on the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Holy **** it's starting to sink in.

We have THEE Duncan Keith on our team.

Forget the trade and the cap hit for a moment. Seriously, just for a moment.

When was the last time we had such a prestigious player wanting to come to Edmonton?

For some reason I feel very grateful as an Oiler fan right now. God Bless you, Keith. Again Welcome to Edmonton!!

He didnt exactly want to come to Edmonton, he wanted to move closer to Penticton to be closer to his son. Edmonton was just one of 3/4 teams close enough in proximity and were the only ones interested in him

Its also not like we landed a player near his peak. We got a guy on his retirement tour playing his final season (maybe 2) wanting to play closer to home

Also, we likely got a player who will be in some serious hot water when these allegations continue to come to light and probably not a player who will be all that proud to have shortly (hopefully he had nothing to do with that stuff, but from the latest court documents, its likely he absolutely knew and maybe even participated)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Its pretty shitty. Like I said not uncommon organizationwise.

(i did not read it)

I was more pointing out that the implication that leadership on the team wasn't aware of the allegations seems to be false. Sopel said the whole room was talking about it in 2010.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I was more pointing out that the implication that leadership on the team wasn't aware of the allegations seems to be false. Sopel said the whole room was talking about it in 2010.

Yeah. So that wouldnt be surprising to me.

I feel like I'd be more surprised if it came out that Keith stepped in and got a video coach fired and instituted new standards for the org and locker room.

hockey Captains arnt Abraham Lincoln

Reactions: AM and Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah. So that wouldnt be surprising to me.

I feel like I'd be more surprised if it came out that Keith stepped in and got a video coach fired and instituted new standards for the org and locker room.

hockey Captains arnt Abraham Lincoln

It's crazy that they had Keith and Mr. Leadership Toews and that kind of stuff went on and they still won.

Maybe leadership and culture aren't all that they are cracked up to be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He didnt exactly want to come to Edmonton, he wanted to move closer to Penticton to be closer to his son. Edmonton was just one of 3/4 teams close enough in proximity and were the only ones interested in him

Its also not like we landed a player near his peak. We got a guy on his retirement tour playing his final season (maybe 2) wanting to play closer to home

Also, we likely got a player who will be in some serious hot water when these allegations continue to come to light and probably not a player who will be all that proud to have shortly (hopefully he had nothing to do with that stuff, but from the latest court documents, its likely he absolutely knew and maybe even participated)

Yeah. We potentially paid assets to get an old 38yr old D who could end up being an off the ice tirefire before all the investigations are over. I mean won't take long before they get all info on emails, messages etc. Kind of interesting that the Hawks were so willing to get Keith out of town and its beyond the pale to think the leaders of the Hawks club didn't know any of what was going down.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I’ll say if Keith was involved in the berating or knew about it and kept quiet (which is pretty likely at this point), I won’t be cheering for him on the Oilers.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Think the Keith trade without any retention was hockey horrible.
What happened in Chicago is real life horrible.
Speculating that Keith had any involvement without proof is bullshit. Be better.
Sopel and the unnamed accuser have both said that everyone in the locker room knew. So Keith, at the very least, kept it under wraps.

Reactions: McAsuno

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Just watched part of Steve Dangle's podcast, they laid everything out pretty clear.

The bullying among teammates happened on the ice and the coaches all knew. So in what scenario would Keith be unaware?
There’s no scenario where Keith wouldn’t have known, at the very least he kept it under wraps, and I’m already not comfortable having that on the team. If it surfaces that he was involved in the berating, he can pack up and leave the team.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sopel and the unnamed accuser have both said that everyone in the locker room knew. So Keith, at the very least, kept it under wraps.

Meh. Really hard to fathom that the collective being accused knew all the details, or believed them entirely based on the info they had.
For instance, if the said incident was on tape and they all viewed it and then a good chunk still decided to mock the accuser, that is a huge leap to say that many people are so morally corrupt to rape they find it laughable

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

What allegedly happened was unfortunate and sick. That said these were all adults and throwing all of this at Keith's feet is in poor form IMO. He was A leader there, he was not the head coach, he was not the captain and he was not the GM. Some people confront wrongdoing head on without thinking twice, others may want to help but decide not to and then you have others that flat out say "that's not my problem". Unless he abused the victim I think that things should be toned down a bit, we don't know his side of the story and what he did or didn't do or what he did or didn't say.

space321

May 11, 2011
What allegedly happened was unfortunate and sick. That said these were all adults and throwing all of this at Keith's feet is in poor form IMO. He was A leader there, he was not the head coach, he was not the captain and he was not the GM. Some people confront wrongdoing head on without thinking twice, others may want to help but decide not to and then you have others that flat out say "that's not my problem". Unless he abused the victim I think that things should be toned down a bit, we don't know his side of the story and what he did or didn't do or what he did or didn't say.

As A leader, if it was true that he knew, then he should've spoken up about it.
As A leader, his should be confronting the wrongdoing, especially when it's happening in his immediate circle of people (teammate + equipment manager).

Also calling it wrongdoing is pretty bullshit, it was a f***ing felony. This isn't something innocent like hazing a rookie by making him pay for dinner and purposely ordering thousands of dollars worth of food (which while morally questionable, it's not illegal). It was sexual assault and rape.

So what are you asking us to tone down? None of what's been discussed here is over the line. Btw, this isn't just directed at Keith. This is everyone in that locker room and organization. Anyone who was there, and especially those in a position of power (ie. captain, assistant captains, coaches, assistant coaches, GM, and other management) had a responsibility to say something.

Reactions: McAsuno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad