Value of: Duncan Keith

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I still think Keith stays a Blackhawk for life but if he were available I think a team like Edmonton would try their best to acquire him. He'd be a good mentor for their young defense IMO.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Moore sucks , would block one of the kids or be overburden financially. He has 3 years left on deal which is problem and buyout doesn't really seem appealing as it would give Hawks dead cap space for 6 years

We have plenty of LD prospects in pipeline including 2018 1st round pick (Nicolas Beaudin) already so Vaakanainen doesn't do much for Hawks

To :hawks
D Kevan Miller ( 1 yr at $1.25M)
RW Anders Bjork ( 3 yrs at $1.6M)
Bruins 2022 1st round pick

To :bruins
D Duncan Keith

Would make more sense. Miller is 1 yr vet/dump, Bjork at RW fits need of Hawks in top 9 and has nice contract going forward and 2022 1st would be better for Hawks given hopefully COVID is away and things return to a more normal outcome with regard to drafting/scouting situation

I was not clear but meant you see for this season if Moore is a serviceable NHL dman as he was before going to Boston, or if he really does just suck at hockey. I would not consider a buyout until after this coming season on him if he does suck and might lean toward buring him in the AHL first.

Bjork isn't that exciting to me. His ceiling seems to be a middle 6 winger and more likely a 3rd liner. In other words....someone you can get the equivalent of in a Kuhan, Pius Suter, Hinistroza....euro free agent or late round picks.

To get 2 first rounders (one of which is a past and much closer to actually starting to help in the NHL (then a 2022 pick that is 4-5 year away) in Vaakainenian), taking on Moore to offset some of Keith's cap hit is how you gain better/mo(o)re assets.

The reality with our goaltending we have lined up is that we are a lotto team. We had arguably the best goaltending duo in the league plus Saad and need Covid to sneak into the expanded playoffs. We are significantly worse. If Keith decides he wants to chase a Cup, taking on a contract like Moore to infuse 2 blue chip assets is a win win win. Good for Keith, good for Boston, and good for Hawks. Minus Keith, we suck mo(o)re and have better odds in the Lotto and in the expansion draft we won't have Keith's NMC we are forced to protect. In fairness, even with Keith, I'm not overly concerned about who we might lose in expansion.....but I do like having more freedom to perhaps pick up a quality asset at a discount from another team that will lose it in expansion because they can't protect it while we may be able to.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What do you think you will get givrn

1 teams are maxed out
2 givrn other deals his return will be poor
3 with Botterill now fired there isn’t a gm who trades sn ELC for a 30+ dman

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Keith still plays a first pairing game and is not paid much for the remainder of his contract. He would be worth way more than people think even at 37.

Hawks would never move him unless he asks out, though.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Montreal is built like a team that is going to be planning and cancelling parades... Then re-planning... Then delaying the parade to another year.
Well at least the league won't have to worry about the Wings planning any parade for quite awhile.

Reactions: saska sault

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Would love him on the Rangers. Would start with our 2021 first and Smith (cap dump/1 year remaining). Gives the Blackhawks some immediate salary relief, and a bulk off sooner for flexibility, and then would add players/prospects to even the deal.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'd send a younger LHD, Vince Dunn to Chicago for Keith...but I'm not sure how many Blues fans would like the idea of Duncan Keith in a Blues jersey, even though he'd be a very solid add, even at his age.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Most teams have 1-2 players over 32.

What are you talking about?
You guys have 11 at 30 and over.
You just got done signing Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian because you have no cap space to sign good younger players so you take players that are over the hill trying to fix your Bottom 2 lines and your shitty D. Good luck.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'd send a younger LHD, Vince Dunn to Chicago for Keith...but I'm not sure how many Blues fans would like the idea of Duncan Keith in a Blues jersey, even though he'd be a very solid add, even at his age.
Straight 1 for 1.I think the Hawks would drool over that offer.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Where is this narrative that he is still good coming from? Dude is washed and has been for at least 3 years now

Reactions: AirGut

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You guys have 11 at 30 and over.
You just got done signing Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian because you have no cap space to sign good younger players so you take players that are over the hill trying to fix your Bottom 2 lines and your shitty D. Good luck.
Who are the 11?

Both your old guys are your #1 d and #1 g.

Good luck.

Reactions: TML1990

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Straight 1 for 1.I think the Hawks would drool over that offer.

I wouldn’t go that far. I like Dunn, but even on his best day he’ll never be Keith.

Duncs isn’t a #1 anymore, but he’s easily a #2 or 3 on a good team. His stick is still one of the best in hockey, still skates really well.

He’s been playing with a 19 year old (Boqvist) and a combination of guys that shouldn’t be anywhere near a top pairing.

He’d easily be a 40ish point D with an elite stick/shutdown ability on a better team.

Surprised Blues fans would want him after the Backes thing lol. He’d be a perfect add for a contender though.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I wouldn’t go that far. I like Dunn, but even on his best day he’ll never be Keith.

Duncs isn’t a #1 anymore, but he’s easily a #2 or 3 on a good team. His stick is still one of the best in hockey, still skates really well.

He’s been playing with a 19 year old (Boqvist) and a combination of guys that shouldn’t be anywhere near a top pairing.

He’d easily be a 40ish point D with an elite stick/shutdown ability on a better team.

Surprised Blues fans would want him after the Backes thing lol. He’d be a perfect add for a contender though.
You should take that trade and run. Dunn would be way better at this stage in their careers.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
You should take that trade and run. Dunn would be way better at this stage in their careers.

Way better? you’re just wrong. I guess you’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re wrong.

Keiths still a really good player. He doesn’t suck and isn’t washed because he’s not a Norris trophy D anymore.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Keith is a #1 D still I think he easily returns a 1st and a top prospect. His age is a concern but his contract is a bargain which balances that issue out IMO. I think teams would and should give up more than HF thinks.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Way better? you’re just wrong. I guess you’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re wrong.

Keiths still a really good player. He doesn’t suck and isn’t washed because he’s not a Norris trophy D anymore.

What evidence is there for this? By every metric, advanced or otherwise, Keith is no longer elite or even top pairing quality. His offense sucks, and his defense sucks now and has for a few years. Like I was curious what people were talking about so I looked at different sources and everything points to the fact he is washed.

He doesn't drive play, he doesn't score many points, and he doesn't prevent offense from the other team anymore. Dude is washed

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Are you saying you wouldn't be thrilled at getting 23 yr old Dunn for 37 yr old Keith?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It won’t happen, and we don’t have the cap space unless we could include Smith as a cap dump but, to me, Keith (and Toews) is exactly what the Rangers need. Especially all the experience and leadership he’d bring to a young team. Stabilizing force for this year and able to mentor guys like Fox, K’Andre Miller and Hajek (who should both get games this year but probably not be full time). His contract isn’t so big that him playing on the second pairing, or even third plus PK/PP, for the final year of his contract would be troubling.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lafreniere - Chytil - Gauthier/Kravstov
Lemieux - Howden - DiGiusseppe
Keith - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Johnson - DeAngelo
Shesterkin

That’s a pretty solid team. Even if Chytil and Kravstov don’t pan out to be top six talents, Kakko and Lafreniere will only be a matter of time. Miller, Lundkvist and other good D prospects on the way. Imagine if there was a way to swap Strome for Toews as well (in the lineup, not suggesting that’s a trade)?

Last edited:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
It’s ok to admit you have no clue what your talking about
Where is this evidence he is still any good. Give me some facts here. Every stat I can find paints him as no longer being good. Like dude is old and way out of his prime why do people need to assume he is still good. Hawks defense is a dumpster fire but somehow he gets zero blame for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad